The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine Graduate Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 480
Got my degree results yesturday...and im off to bristol to do vet med :smile:
Reply 481
Original post by NicoleRH
Got my degree results yesturday...and im off to bristol to do vet med :smile:

Congratulations! I got my degree results (from Bristol actually!) today... I'm off to Cambs :biggrin: such a massive relief. Bristol is amazing, you'll love it there - I'm so sad to be leaving! :smile:
Reply 482
I would just love to go to Nottingham and not just because of the fees.
Does anyone know how many graduate applicants get places at Nottingham, on average, and what criteria they use for selection? Apart from AAB at A2, with A in Chem and Biol and a minimum 2.1 do they favour any particular first degrees. I don't want to 'waste' an application and they do seem very anti-graduate.
Is there anyone out there who got in as a graduate and willing to share the secret of their success??? Thanks!
Reply 483
Original post by Erin01
Congratulations! I got my degree results (from Bristol actually!) today... I'm off to Cambs :biggrin: such a massive relief. Bristol is amazing, you'll love it there - I'm so sad to be leaving! :smile:

I'm actually from Bristol to, i did the vet anatomy course. congrats on gettinginti cambs :smile:
Well done on your degree people and woohoooo off to vet school!!!!

Madlemur I really wanted to go to Nottingham and because I had loads of work experience and was generally suited to the practical and a bit quirky Nottingham style thought it would definitely be the uni which I would get an interview at, not RVC. But they rejected me before interview - as they do with about 99% of grads - and I am so glad because I was accepted by RVC and I love it here: from the way we teach to the opportuinities that it provides with its location, facilities and contacts.

Every UK vet school (in my opinion) is a really good vet school and has lots going for it but something that my disappointment about Nottingham and fantastic time at RVC has taught me is that it's really silly to pin all your hopes on one vet school. Just getting in is hard enough and there's no reason to stress yourself out over just one in particular
Original post by Madlemur
Does anyone know how many graduate applicants get places at Nottingham, on average, and what criteria they use for selection? Apart from AAB at A2, with A in Chem and Biol and a minimum 2.1 do they favour any particular first degrees. I don't want to 'waste' an application and they do seem very anti-graduate.
Is there anyone out there who got in as a graduate and willing to share the secret of their success??? Thanks!

Im pretty sure its something REALLY ridiculous like 3-5 people. I know only one person who got a Nott offer as a grad and he was 30+, had a masters and Phd, had worked several years in RSPCA and WSPA..... So I guess that says it all really!

However obviously you have NO chance if you dont apply at all. I applied to both first time round and RVC only second time round. If you want my two cents I wouldnt put too much of you time and effort into the Notts application (obviously do it right!) but tailor your time towards BMAT prep and things like that.
Reply 486
Thanks everyone for the information on Nottingham. Doesn't sound too hopeful.
My A levels are in Biology, chemistry and history plus AS in maths and my current degree is zoology- I've looked at the Cambridge Colleges websites [if I don't apply to Nottingham]- does anyone know which, if any, is the best college to apply for if you haven't got A2 Maths or physics??? This is definitely blue sky thinking but I can dream!
Reply 487
Does anyone know if warsaw or slovak have any open days, and when these days may be? I cant find any imformation!
Original post by LegoLives
Does anyone know if warsaw or slovak have any open days, and when these days may be? I cant find any imformation!

I think you can arrange to just go and have a look around at Slovakia but try on the UVM Slovakia thread on this forum
Reply 489

Hi, I go to nottingham at the moment, and although i do animal science i am living on the campus with all of the vets and most of my uni friends are doing the veterinary course. From what I have heard from my friends and what I've seen myself I'm pretty sure there has been quite a few post grads this year. so don't give up!!
Reply 490
Thank you for that. Are you hoping to do vet medicine after your animal science course?

Original post by 8551amy
Hi, I go to nottingham at the moment, and although i do animal science i am living on the campus with all of the vets and most of my uni friends are doing the veterinary course. From what I have heard from my friends and what I've seen myself I'm pretty sure there has been quite a few post grads this year. so don't give up!!

I would say that Animal Science is the standard degree course for "failed vet applicants" :wink: (speaking from experience!) but it seems that Notts is impossible to get into - as far as I know Kookaburra did Animal Science at SB (Notts) and didn't get a place at the vet school there. Which is a bit extreme, given the size of the campus, everyone knows everyone so it's highly likely she had lots of insider knowledge of the course and job etc which should really help during interviews etc.....but it seems like they really don't like grads - even their own!

Good luck anyway :biggrin:
Reply 492
Thank you for that. Are you hoping to do vet medicine after your animal science course?

Yeah hopefully! But I'll only be applying to RVC and Nottingham because of the fees!
Hi everyone, I'm hoping to apply this year but my tutor does not support my interest. This is so unfair and the only reason she doesn't is because I 'wasn't sure' how well I'd done in my AS exams. I know for a fact that I've done badly in maths, do you think it'll put me at a disadvantage if I take Chemistry, Biology and Psychology rather than Maths? I hope to apply to Nottingham, Liverpool, Bristol and maybe a Scottish one too? I certainly don't want to take the BMAT!

Jess x

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by JessicaLouise16
Hi everyone, I'm hoping to apply this year but my tutor does not support my interest. This is so unfair and the only reason she doesn't is because I 'wasn't sure' how well I'd done in my AS exams. I know for a fact that I've done badly in maths, do you think it'll put me at a disadvantage if I take Chemistry, Biology and Psychology rather than Maths? I hope to apply to Nottingham, Liverpool, Bristol and maybe a Scottish one too? I certainly don't want to take the BMAT!

Jess x

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Hi Jessica,
Just to let you know this is the graduate thread (were all grads here) so you may want to stalk the 2012 or 2013 vet med applicants thread for people that are in your position and can share their experiences. However im sure we will all be happy to try and help you as best we can too :smile:.
I did Chem, Bio and Psychology at Alevel like you (I dropped Physics). You certainly wouldnt be at a disadantage with psychology over someone that has maths. Most offers are made on a combination of criterias including your PS and your performance at interview. So many people get the same grades in the same range of subjects that they are less of a distinguishing feature and more of just a 'tick box' on an application.
As long as you can get the required 3 As / A*s in the three Alevel you have picked you should be fine on that front. Psychology is accepted at all of the universities I beleive as it counts as an acedemic subject. I think its possible only Cambridge you would be disadvantaged at not having Maths.
All in all do something you will get the grades in, and put your effort, personality and passion into the other parts of your application.

Hope that helps :smile: Good luck!
(edited 11 years ago)

Original post by 8551amy

Original post by clair0511
I would say that Animal Science is the standard degree course for "failed vet applicants" :wink: (speaking from experience!) but it seems that Notts is impossible to get into - as far as I know Kookaburra did Animal Science at SB (Notts) and didn't get a place at the vet school there. Which is a bit extreme, given the size of the campus, everyone knows everyone so it's highly likely she had lots of insider knowledge of the course and job etc which should really help during interviews etc.....but it seems like they really don't like grads - even their own!

Good luck anyway :biggrin:

I saw my name mentioned!!

I did Animal Science at Nottingham, got an interview, but no offer. I really do not know what else I could have done. I had a good degree, good reference from one of the Nottingham vet school lecturers, a really good dissertation mark - which then went on to form the basis of a journal article. My a level grades weren't too bad compared to some grads (and Nottingham specifically told me when I asked that I did not need to resit any of them, that it wouldnt make any difference). I had weeks and weeks of work experience (I actually had a couple of years out in between my degrees due to family issues), so had used this time to get more work experience done. I had done voluntary work aboard, worked on a sheep farm in the UK for several months - including teaching vet students! My questionaire answers and PS was obviously good enough to get me an interview.

My interviews themselves I was actually fairly happy with - as Clair says - since I was at Nottm I did know some of the people in the vet school. Even before I had applied to Nottm I did know/hear some of the interview set up, so it wasn't a total shock to me. I was really happy with how my group interview and individual interview went. I was a bit annoyed with some of the practical interview as I realised afterwards other things I could have said, but didnt think it had gone badly - esp when you take into account the lack of clinical knowledge at the time of interviews! My Nottm interview was def better than my RVC interview - which is comparison I came out of and cried! My liverpool interview was ok, but again, I wasn't as happy with it as my Nottm interview.

Don't get me wrong - I don't want this to sound like I'm boosting, or that I 'expected' an offer. I know vet med is very competitive, esp as a grad. But if I had to have picked where would have given me an offer and where would have rejected me, it def wouldn't not have been the way it was! I wouldn't have given myself an offer from RVC - my interview there was rubbish, and I knew it was. I really wasn't sure what 'section' I had fallen down on with Nottm, and they refuse to give any feedback at all - so I never will know what I messed up.

So in all....applying to Nottm isn't a wasted chance - if you don't apply then you will stand no chance! Also, with it being a low fees grad place - it is worth a shot just for that! But, they do seem picky with grads and no one seems to know in what why they are picky, or what they 'like' to see/people to have. Coupled with them not taking many grads in comparison to the number that apply, and in comparison to the number that RVC take, I think that is why they have the grad reputation that they do. But like I say, probably still worth a shot - some people have to get offers there after all!
Hi, just wanted to say GOOD LUCK to all the grads who will be starting Uni this year - and for those who didn't get in, don't give up if it's what you really want :smile: Even if the odds seem heavily stacked against you (as they were with me), you can still do it :biggrin:
Reply 497
Original post by Erin01
-

You should join our Cambridge Freshers thread on facebook! :biggrin:

(even though we aren't really freshers...:ninja:)

http://www.facebook.com/groups/479474478729312/
Are there any other RVC Accelerated BVetMEd 2012 freshers on here!? I feel like I am the only one :frown:
Original post by Phoenix_147
Are there any other RVC Accelerated BVetMEd 2012 freshers on here!? I feel like I am the only one :frown:

Yes meee!! Ive just been off the forums for a while, having a mega nightmare with student finance and halls stuff!! Gahh. Have you got any info about when we start or anything?? lol feeling like its a bit random ive got nothing!

Quick Reply

Latest