The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The Big Medicine UKCAT 2013 Entry Thread

Scroll to see replies

pretty much the same as Girl. said above...

remember its timed and DONT skip the minute breaks which give you a chance to read the instructions for the next section. when i did mine i just took a minute break to give my eyes a rest as the test centre i went to used the old CRT monitors and my eyes wernt used to it.

but practise lots and lots. i used this book to prepare and it worked wonders

good luck
Original post by holderbolder
I sat the UKCAT last year and averaged 750, happy to answer any Q's at [email protected] :smile:

:eek: How on earth?...
Reply 462
I found using the keyboard shortcuts to go to the next question, flag questions and to bring up the calculator along with using the numpad on the keyboard for the calculations VERY beneficial.
People say u cannot revise for the UKCAT but u sure can prepare ur ass off.

My advice would be to familiarise urself with the layout and type of questions in each section.

Get the 600 question UKCAT book

Go through it

Time urself !!!!

timing will be the only thing against u

Some people prepare way to much in advance like 6 weeks, this can cause u to peak too early. I would say 2 weeks is enough
Practice.
Although 'technically' or whatever you're not meant to be able to improve your score, even familiarising yourself with the test is a help.

For example, in the AR you'll begin to recognise what sort of things to look out for when spotting the pattern eg angle, number of sides etc.

And also, if you are struggling on a question, DON'T BE STUBBORN. Take a guess, flag it for review so you can go back to it if you have time, and move on.

Oh, and my 'technique' for VR was skim read the whole passage, read the question, reread the part of the passage the question was about if I needed to and answer the question.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 465
2 weeks full on practice, will get you a good score. I agree that practice makes a difference but it doesnt mean spending months on it. 3 weeks maximum!
-600q book (note the quant. section isnt as hard in the real thing, and the VR is much harder in the real thing. AR and DA are similar to real thing)

-I suggest you master the DA section, learn how to complete it on time, dont rush, and work effeciently. I did my UKCAT twice, first time round I didnt practice smart, I had next to no tactic/technique and did horribly. eg DA I got 600, 2nd time I learnt how to go about it properly (writing out each word/letter, not rush) and this time I got 750 in DA.

So you may spend a lot of time on the UKCAT prep but there is no point unless you have figured out a technique for each section.

Abstract reasoning: Use things like SCANS
S-shape
C- colour
A- arrangement
N- number of ...
S-symmetry

there is a lot of info on this on TSR, have a look around and finally remember to CHILLOUT before you go in. Nerves can ruin your performance.
Original post by donsheikz
Hello everyone, Im relatively new so my apologies if I have posted this in the wrong section or in the wrong way.

I am going to do my UKCAT soon, but struggle on the VR and QR parts.

For VR, am I right to say you skim read and answer the questions, referring back to the text if you have to? Is that really the technique you are supposed to use all the way through? Please talk from experience, would be appreciated.

For QR, should I just flag + skip if im stuck, also considering the much easier questions can come later on.

Thank you all very much in advance :biggrin::cool:

Do the practise.
Familiarise yourself with question styles.
Do more practise.
VR, I can't give you much help with. I tried the whole 'skim read and go back to relevant sections' but I ended up with 580 in that section. Maybe I'm just a really bad reader.
QR, these are much much easier in the real thing. Familiarise yourself with the computer's calculator. Pace yourself; give yourself only a specific amount of time per question before moving on. You'll most probably end up being able to ome back later.
AR, this was my best section, despite personally thinking it was the hardest. The only advice I can give to you for that one is practise practise practise. Some techniques include looking at the box with the lowest number of shapes. Look carefully at colours and number of sides. Try to find links between features within the box. I ended up with 810 in this section, but I'm just going to say I got lucky.
DA, I don't know anyone who felt pushed for time for this section. I rushed it, although I shouldn't have. Be sure to pay GREAT attention to detail in this section, which is where I went wrong (I'm awful with detail) on a lot of the questions, but managed to get 730. If you're good at languages, this should probably be your best section.

Good luck and relax yourself before the test otherwise you'll panic.
I played videogames and drank fizzy drinks on the two days leading up to the test.
Reply 467
Original post by 079

... finally remember to CHILLOUT before you go in. Nerves can ruin your performance.

I'll reiterate this too.

The test is as much about keeping a cool head under pressure as it is about being accurate with your answers.

Accept you won't answer all the questions. Flag ones that you deem too hard or are taking too long so that you have time to get through the "easier" ones first. This is especially true for AR and QR: AR as you can't spend too long scratching your head over ones that you have no idea about and QR as some questions are very wordy / calculation-heavy compared to some that you can just do in your head.
I can promise you that you won't! I did no practice the first time I sat it 5 years ago before my degree, and I came out with ~600. Obviously going for GEP I need to do better this year, and with practice I feel better than I have done previously. It really is a case of practice and getting your hands on as many questions as possible -- regardless of what UKCAT tell you.
Reply 469
AR really frustrates me.
Anyone interested in buying UKCAT books and interview books? I've got a load, I'll do a good deal
anyone know which book gives u the best practice for verbal reasoning?
IMG-20120622-00047.jpg

Well there's what I have, lemme know what you want :smile:
IMG-20120622-00047.jpg

Hey guys, I'm selling these books so if you're interested let me know and I'll do a good deal for them
7 days to go... AHHHH.
(edited 11 years ago)
Has anyone done the Kaplan free full length PDF download test? It seems reasonably pitched but there are a couple of the AR questions I can't get regardless of how long I spend.
Sets starting #37, #46 and #56 if anyone is interested.
Original post by cptKernow
Has anyone done the Kaplan free full length PDF download test? It seems reasonably pitched but there are a couple of the AR questions I can't get regardless of how long I spend.
Sets starting #37, #46 and #56 if anyone is interested.

Could you send me the link to that? I've signed up for the free online test but have not seen the PDF one :smile: Would be happy to brainstorm ideas afterwards for any we're stuck on.
Just started doing a few Quantitative Reasoning questions from the 600Q book , and now i can surely confirm that UKCAT is the most bogus testing tool ever , i can appreciate the level of difficulty etc. etc. but how the hell do they think we can do well with a stupid useless on screen calculator?? No brackets , no ANS keys and it always gives the wring ans.. do they really expect us to sit there clicking away at the computer all the way through?? , i am so much faster with my hand held calc... Usually i am up for the challenge but this is ridiculous....
Original post by The Unique Bloke
Just started doing a few Quantitative Reasoning questions from the 600Q book , and now i can surely confirm that UKCAT is the most bogus testing tool ever , i can appreciate the level of difficulty etc. etc. but how the hell do they think we can do well with a stupid useless on screen calculator?? No brackets , no ANS keys and it always gives the wring ans.. do they really expect us to sit there clicking away at the computer all the way through?? , i am so much faster with my hand held calc... Usually i am up for the challenge but this is ridiculous....

You might be missing the point. The UKCAT isn't really a test of reasoning - it is a test of how well you can keep it together whilst in a situation that would cause mere mortals to start crying or scream.
That's just my take on it though!
Original post by cptKernow
You might be missing the point. The UKCAT isn't really a test of reasoning - it is a test of how well you can keep it together whilst in a situation that would cause mere mortals to start crying or scream.
That's just my take on it though!

Yes but i doubt merely keeping it together is gonna help achieve a good score..
I need a freakin HAND HELD CALCULATOR , i am not asking for much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending