Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Why did YOU choose Oxford or Cambridge over the other? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry S Truman)
    Cambridge's University Library is much more useful to an undergraduate student than Oxford's Bodleian.
    Am I the only one who finds it quite cool that readers can only use one pencil in Duke Humfrey's Library?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Postscript)
    Generally speaking...Oxfordonions smile with a warm heart Cambridge folk seem hollow, misty, unreachable even - and not in a good way. A humanity of sorts attracted me to Oxford.
    Name:  1zq52bn.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  17.8 KB:teehee:

ReputationRep:
    Neither there both crap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by STFU)
    Neither there the're both crap
    xx

ReputationRep:
    I do kind of regret my choice because I kind of think the course at Cambridge might of been better for me, but I chose to apply to Oxford purely for the fact that it seemed like a more vibrant city with more things going on whereas although Cambridge is nice for a picturesque punt on the river on a sunny day trip, i couldn't imagine being a student there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by STFU)
    Neither there both crap
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    (Original post by STFU)
    Neither there the're they're both crap
    xx
    xxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    Because Oxford's ranked higher for humanities, and I started my course doing just German (without the science-y linguistics bit). Doesn't really come down to more than that, though having visited both cities since starting uni (I'd never been to Cambridge before I came) I do think I prefer Oxford as a city as well over Cambridge, as it feels more like a university integrated within a city and less like a university with some shops and random people's houses dotted about in the middle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a rusH)
    xxxxxxx
    Oops.

How do you spell petard?

Done too late at night

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by panda11)
    Cambridge because it's closer to me (30 mins drive) & so I know the city well (ridiculously Durham was my insurance - miles away & I've never been there!).

Have only visisted Oxford once but found the city centre busier than Camb. A professor at Christ Church Oxford told me that "the main difference between Oxford and Cambridge is that Cambridge has more green areas", but whether he was talking nonsense I don't know.

(EDIT: haha most people seem to have based their decision on league tables/courses offered etc., mine is essentially because "I like going shopping in Cambridge.")
    What shops are there :eek: I didn't see very many when I visited!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by STFU)
    Neither there both crap
    "[insert your username here]"

ReputationRep:
    I chose Cam over Oxford as I preferred the structure of their Engineering / ChemEng course

ReputationRep:
    I got PhD offers from both. Physics at Cavendish in Cam and Materials Science at Ox.

I chose Ox over Cam because I got a full stipend at Ox whereas only a fees only stipend at Cam.
    Never been to Ox or Cam so far... That´s why I can´t say anything about their quality as a place to live in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by STFU)
    Neither there both crap

Someone got rejected:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Because this

Spoiler:
    Show

will never top this

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    My role models attended Cam.

Not once did I consider the other place

ReputationRep:
    Oxford does PPE and it is more lively. Cambridge was too village-y for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ja-m-ie)
    Oxford does PPE and it is more lively. Cambridge was too village-y for me.
    "Village-y"?

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord of the Flies)
    "Village-y"?

Spoiler:
    Show

The theory is that Cambridge is just a university, and not much else. Oxford is meant to be a real city as well, with nightlife/shops/whatever.

[Never visited Cambridge, so I can't really judge...]

ReputationRep:
    "Village-y"?

Spoiler:
    Show

I chose Oxford, however this picture is positively stunning!

ReputationRep:
    "Village-y"?

Spoiler:
    Show

Still looks pretty villagey to me :dontknow:

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.