The Student Room Group

The Martial Arts Society

Hey guys :smile:,
This society is for all martial arts enthusiasts :smile: .i.e. those interested in martial arts as a sport, or have done martial arts in the past also for those currently taking part in the sport as well.

Come in and exchange knowledge and share experience also give tips to beginners or those interested in starting and form of martial arts as a sport.

Hope this society grows big and strong :smile:.

EDIT The society logo isn’t too great at the moment but I welcome any other logo suggestions and remember that the image size has to be 50x50 pixels :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
EDIT (2) - I don't have a logo yet but I'm working on one :smile:.. Will apply for the thread to be moved soon :smile:
Reply 2
You know, I was just about to make an MA society and was running a search to see if it had been done before :biggrin:

Count me in from the start!

1st kyu shotokan/kamishin-ryu karate :smile:
Reply 3
ah!! cool stuff :biggrin:... Nice one :wink:

1st Kyu i.e. brown belt I guess... :smile:

Nice one..

EDIT - I have applied for the society to be added to the list :biggrin:..

How long have you been doing martial arts?
Reply 4
Originally trained for a year when I was 8 and didnt get too far (same style, same club) and like most kids I dropped out. Got back into it aged 14 and remembered everything from when I trained before - stances, terms, punches, kicks, blocks and kata.

Nearly 5 years later, I am nearly ready for shodan (1st dan) but that will probably be put off a bit. I can grade in November, but go to Uni in September :frown:

What about yourself?
Yay, consider me in :smile:

4th Kyu Zendo Kai karate :biggrin:

Been training since 2003 and I flipping love it :biggrin: lol

I'll have a looksie for an icon and see what I can dig up... :p:

Edit: Just seen the icon, it's pretty neat :biggrin: lol.
Reply 6
yay!! our Icon is now active :cool:.. so come and join up guys :biggrin:...

ah sounds like good stuff Gaskell :biggrin:...

I do Ju jitsu and have only recently started (September last year) So I'm heading for my 6th Kyu and have a grading soon... Dan is quite hard to reach in Ju jitsu and can take up to 7 years so I'm not looking that far yet.. My nearest aim is the 5th Kyu which is quite hard to get since it's the beginning of the senior grades.. I hope someone else on here does Ju jitsu or Judo :biggrin:
Reply 7
Welcome in red665 :biggrin:.. You know have the nice logo :smile:.. I'm glad you like it :wink:
Reply 8
Alreet red :biggrin:

dimexi - I have heard that JJJ is canny hard to grade in on another forum. I will probably be getting into it when I head to Uni, so you will have someone to talk to :biggrin:

Just put myself in for the badge :smile:
Mmm, Judo I'm afraid I didn't like, then again I tried it when I was about 11, and cause I was tall they put me in with the adults, so I think being thrown around and pinned by 30+ women didn't really do it for me lol.

Love karate though :biggrin: I'm hopefully going for my Brown belt at the end of March :biggrin: eee! lol.

Only just got back into full time training recently after really buggering up the liagments in the ankle - a proper sign that I'm addicted to my sport, just being able to do a full warm up again left a *huge* smile on my face :smile:
Reply 10
Gaskell
Alreet red :biggrin:

dimexi - I have heard that JJJ is canny hard to grade in on another forum. I will probably be getting into it when I head to Uni, so you will have someone to talk to :biggrin:

Just put myself in for the badge :smile:

Yeah; the grading is intense and quite a bit is required even at 7th kyu but it's very physical and fun/handy to learn mainly because it is self defence.. It will be great if you pick it up :biggrin: I'll be more than happy to get someone to speak to hehe :biggrin:...

Will sign you up for the badge soon :wink:
Reply 11
red665
Mmm, Judo I'm afraid I didn't like, then again I tried it when I was about 11, and cause I was tall they put me in with the adults, so I think being thrown around and pinned by 30+ women didn't really do it for me lol.

Love karate though :biggrin: I'm hopefully going for my Brown belt at the end of March :biggrin: eee! lol.

Only just got back into full time training recently after really buggering up the liagments in the ankle - a proper sign that I'm addicted to my sport, just being able to do a full warm up again left a *huge* smile on my face :smile:

ah fair enough.. That usually happens in Judo.. Anyways; we do most/all of the Judo throws from self defence mechanisms which makes full use of the opponents momentum :biggrin:... Judo is derived from Ju jitsu anyways so we rule :biggrin: hehe.. No controversy intended
Reply 12
count me in. I started jitsu in oct at uni, its great fun, im 7th kyu as well , not sure if i will be ready to grade for 6th kyu , as the grading is only 3 weeks away. Dimexi is your club part of the jitsu foundation and are you going to the nationals this weekend
Reply 13
O yes!!! a jitsu fellow :cool:.. Yep, my club IS part of the jitsu foundation and we ARE going to the Randori nationals this weekend :cool:.. My club is herts :biggrin: and we belong to the eastern region
I started Wadoryu (think so) Karate couple of months ago to help improve my confidence after a serious assault on one of my friends!
I'm only doing a entry level course as it was a choice between Black Belt Karate and horse-riding! I have graduated to red stripe.
I love karate but havn't been able to go for a while due to illness and injury from horse-riding!
Reply 15
Aw that's a shame about the injury :frown:.. Injuries that stop you from doing martial arts are the worst :frown: :hugs:
Reply 16
Do I see a wado'er? Yay!

The karate take-over has begun in earnest! :biggrin:
Reply 17
:p: I'm 5th Kyu Shotokan karate.
BTW my grading is next week, not only that but i have a inter-club competition this week with sensei Rogers and sensei Simon's club from Kent and Surrey (i think) anyone heard of them?
Reply 18
Has anyone ever been to the shobu-ippon competition (karate styles only)
Reply 19
Karate is very common indeed; doesn't necessarily mean it's a dominating martial art :p:... Jitsu rocks :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest