The Student Room Group

Bad gcse results

(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would love to give you good news but when I applied at a sixth form to I remember wanting to do Biology and when I applied the entry was C in Biology but at enrollment it was raised to a B, same with maths and they pretty much told me no chance in hell, yours might be different. It really saddens me to see that they judge you over one grade boundary and not the person and their motivation.

I really think GCSE grades don't matter, as long as you didn't fully blow them, as long as your in the A*-C boundary I really think they should look at the person and at how much they want it and that there will be a better 'predicted' grades than their pretty little statistics can tell you.

/rage off

Just show them how much you want it at the interview. Maybe you'll catch a break. I do wish you the best.
Reply 2
They usually want a B or higher, but if you go and ask and explain about the situation and all your predicted grades and how you've learnt from the situation and now really want to work hard and get good grades, the they may be a bit kinder and let you on
Reply 3
Original post by Under
I really think GCSE grades don't matter, as long as you didn't fully blow them, as long as your in the A*-C boundary I really think they should look at the person and at how much they want it and that there will be a better 'predicted' grades than their pretty little statistics can tell you.

/rage off

Just show them how much you want it at the interview. Maybe you'll catch a break. I do wish you the best.

Thanks for your response, I completely agree that gcse results are completely useless after applications for a-levels. If anything I hope I can use my bad grades to my strength and show resilience, determination and a real passion to fulfill my dream to get where I want in life:smile:

I appreciate the luck, I'm going to need it!

Original post by leahnic
They usually want a B or higher, but if you go and ask and explain about the situation and all your predicted grades and how you've learnt from the situation and now really want to work hard and get good grades, the they may be a bit kinder and let you on

Let's hope so, thank you for your take on my situation. I very much appreciate it! :smile:
Reply 4
You sound very determined!

If you really know medicine is what you want then go for it but honestly, a levels are HORRIBLE! They are difficult and require an unbelievable amount of hard work especially if you didn't do as well as you hoped at gcse. I think you could get through if you worked your butt off but I had 6a* at gcse and have found these last two years absolutely awful. I wish someone had warned me how tough it was going to be. Bio and chem have just taken over my life! :frown:

HOWEVER. I didn't work my bum off for the first few months in six form so maybe with 100% effort and revising from september, you might get through.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
Hi guys!

First of all; Just a quick note to show my appreciation for TSR, although I am a very recent member I have been using the TSR for a few years now, browsing over forums and posts and generally have found it to be very insightful and helpful - I thank you all for your great work!

Now, moving on...

I sat my GCSEs in years 2009-2011 meaning this year I should have actually been sitting my A Levels but due to some extenuating circumstances I took some time out of school. Unfortunately a mix of the circumstances I brushed over, a lackluster attitude and an ego the size of a ... I can't think of a non-sexual metaphor :/ I failed to do anything at GCSE, I got my Level 2 threshold (5a*-c) achieving mainly all Cs with my subjects... no As, despite that being what I was expected to get for every subject by my teachers. I think they have been more disappointed than me with my results tbh.

Next year I want to go to college to study biology, chemistry, maths and physics at AS with the hope to drop bio the year after and take on further maths since it is meant to be relatively easy when you have done maths core 1 and 2 compared to without.

My aim is to eventually go in to medicine (hence the bio) but since my GCSEs are suckish and I am too prideful to claim extenuating circumstances to get my grades boosted I don't stand much of a chance, even if I got As and A*s in everything at A Level so the plan is to do Physics (hence the further maths) which is a real interest of mine, then apply to medicine as a graduate which seems sensible imo :smile:

Anyway, the real issue is that since my GCSE grades were so low I don't actually meet the entry requirements at my local colleges for those specific subjects!! :frown: I was wondering if one of you lovely people could tell me if with a lot of kissing ass and showing my enthusiasm at the interview, and maybe getting references from my teachers who, without my sounding to big headed, have told me im a genius (hence the ego i suppose) I would be able to get in under the requirements... Or if its even allowed! Even if I have to be put on 'probation' and watched closely for the 1st few weeks/months I'm happy to feel them breathing down my neck if it means I get to do the subjects I want and fulfill my dreams in gaining a medical licence someday and being able to solve medical puzzles (im one of the few who is interested in medicine for reasons other than the cliche!).

Thanks a lot in advance and sorry for the length of the query! Maybe I should be a lawyer or political instead, eh!?

I cannot tell you how much i was waiting to find someone in my exact position, I would love to do dentistry the thing is my GCSEs are too low; the requirement is to get BB and I’m going to get BC. It’s really unfair because I’ve always wanted to do dentistry and now I can’t imagine it happening. I have a bitch of a teacher who never put me in resists and now I’m going to leave to school with a C! :mad:
I really don’t know what to do while all my friends have conditional offers I have nothing and I can’t look forward to anything. It’s not that I’m stupid or anything it’s mostly a mixture of having a crappy teacher and the fact I…was a tiny, weeny bit lazy but just a tiny bit.:tongue:

Sorry I can’t give you any advice I’m in the same exact position but seriously best of luck and if you get in tell me how you do it :biggrin:
Hi guys!

First of all; Just a quick note to show my appreciation for TSR, although I am a very recent member I have been using the TSR for a few years now, browsing over forums and posts and generally have found it to be very insightful and helpful - I thank you all for your great work!

Now, moving on...

I sat my GCSEs in years 2009-2011 meaning this year I should have actually been sitting my A Levels but due to some extenuating circumstances I took some time out of school. Unfortunately a mix of the circumstances I brushed over, a lackluster attitude and an ego the size of a ... I can't think of a non-sexual metaphor :/ I failed to do anything at GCSE, I got my Level 2 threshold (5a*-c) achieving mainly all Cs with my subjects... no As, despite that being what I was expected to get for every subject by my teachers. I think they have been more disappointed than me with my results tbh.

Next year I want to go to college to study biology, chemistry, maths and physics at AS with the hope to drop bio the year after and take on further maths since it is meant to be relatively easy when you have done maths core 1 and 2 compared to without.

My aim is to eventually go in to medicine (hence the bio) but since my GCSEs are suckish and I am too prideful to claim extenuating circumstances to get my grades boosted I don't stand much of a chance, even if I got As and A*s in everything at A Level so the plan is to do Physics (hence the further maths) which is a real interest of mine, then apply to medicine as a graduate which seems sensible imo :smile:

Anyway, the real issue is that since my GCSE grades were so low I don't actually meet the entry requirements at my local colleges for those specific subjects!! :frown: I was wondering if one of you lovely people could tell me if with a lot of kissing ass and showing my enthusiasm at the interview, and maybe getting references from my teachers who, without my sounding to big headed, have told me im a genius (hence the ego i suppose) I would be able to get in under the requirements... Or if its even allowed! Even if I have to be put on 'probation' and watched closely for the 1st few weeks/months I'm happy to feel them breathing down my neck if it means I get to do the subjects I want and fulfill my dreams in gaining a medical licence someday and being able to solve medical puzzles (im one of the few who is interested in medicine for reasons other than the cliche!).

Thanks a lot in advance and sorry for the length of the query! Maybe I should be a lawyer or political instead, eh!?

I managed to go to an Open Day at Oxford Uni yesterday (I'll never get in, but I thought it's my only chance of seeing the place so I'll go :tongue:), and when I asked about the interview process, they said it was definitely A Level results that were important, but most of all they look for people who show a passion for the course they want to do at university. I spoke to some students who did Medicine, and they said they like to ask random questions like, 'what is a thyroid gland?' They don't expect you to know it, but they like to see how you think.

I think your best bet is to definitely try and do well at A Levels, but also maybe do work experience in medicine, read up about it, just something like that which will make you look interesting and passionate to a university. You seem really passionate as it is, and I think as long as you express that really well, GCSE grades may be questioned but over-looked. :smile: I think GCSE grades are so pointless to look at though, and I don't think they represent intelligence or passion at all. Good luck!
Reply 7
Original post by je t'aime
You sound very determined!

If you really know medicine is what you want then go for it but honestly, a levels are HORRIBLE! They are difficult and require an unbelievable amount of hard work especially if you didn't do as well as you hoped at gcse. I think you could get through if you worked your butt off but I had 6a* at gcse and have found these last two years absolutely awful. I wish someone had warned me how tough it was going to be. Bio and chem have just taken over my life! :frown:

HOWEVER. I didn't work my bum off for the first few months in six form so maybe with 100% effort and revising from september, you might get through.

Good luck :smile:

I am very determined for sure! Yes, I know how hard medicine is and how the glamour of the profession is a big lie but I want a vocation, not a job and medicine seems perfect for me!
I, as a rule, am very lazy unless something interests me - luckily I have browsed over the syllabus for all the AS subjects and most areas seem to sound quite interesting... quantum mechanics especially! :smile:

I hope your results are what you hope for and the 2 years of hell were worth it! Thanks for your comment... just like the others before you, you have made me more determined to get what I want!

Original post by lil-mazie
I cannot tell you how much i was waiting to find someone in my exact position, I would love to do dentistry the thing is my GCSEs are too low; the requirement is to get BB and I’m going to get BC. It’s really unfair because I’ve always wanted to do dentistry and now I can’t imagine it happening. I have a bitch of a teacher who never put me in resists and now I’m going to leave to school with a C! :mad:
I really don’t know what to do while all my friends have conditional offers I have nothing and I can’t look forward to anything. It’s not that I’m stupid or anything it’s mostly a mixture of having a crappy teacher and the fact I…was a tiny, weeny bit lazy but just a tiny bit.:tongue:

As unfortunate as our situations are, I am glad I am not alone here, it has put my mind at ease!
As for your dentistry dream; perhaps doing what I am planning on and applying for another science such as biochemistry, or in my prospective case physics would be a good idea. I believe after a year of biochem you can jump on to medicine or dentistry degrees if your grades are really good meaning you can go after your ambitions! Otherwise Maybe doing a 3 year bachelor degree like myself in a science and then applying as a graduate to dentistry would work.

Sorry I can’t give you any advice I’m in the same exact position but seriously best of luck and if you get in tell me how you do it :biggrin:

I hope you figure it out - if so then let me know! :smile:. I will make sure to update this thread with my situations status progressions. :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Mediterrasian
I managed to go to an Open Day at Oxford Uni yesterday (I'll never get in, but I thought it's my only chance of seeing the place so I'll go :tongue:), and when I asked about the interview process, they said it was definitely A Level results that were important, but most of all they look for people who show a passion for the course they want to do at university. I spoke to some students who did Medicine, and they said they like to ask random questions like, 'what is a thyroid gland?' They don't expect you to know it, but they like to see how you think.

I think your best bet is to definitely try and do well at A Levels, but also maybe do work experience in medicine, read up about it, just something like that which will make you look interesting and passionate to a university. You seem really passionate as it is, and I think as long as you express that really well, GCSE grades may be questioned but over-looked. :smile: I think GCSE grades are so pointless to look at though, and I don't think they represent intelligence or passion at all. Good luck!

You are absolutely about work experience ect. I've been volunteering with st. john's ambulance for 3 years now, will be 5 when I finish my alevels,8 when I finish my degree :smile: next summer (not this one) and the one after I will be shadowing a Gp. I'm hoping to get Hospital work experience somehow too... I will have to be quick as I figure placements are in high demand but it's certainly possible! :smile:
Thank for the luck... Also; I'm sure if you really put your mind to it you could get in to oxford. You may have to find an unorthodox route in but its possible! :smile:

EDIT: sorry to double post! I want to make sure to be attentive and reply to all answers here since I don't want you guys to feel I'm wasting your time but Mediterrasian responded as I was writing replies!
Reply 9
Original post by BillyBongos
Both my dentists qualified when they were 30years old. You can always resit an external IGCSE exam, (which doesn't need coursework) maybe at your own school, but definitely at a college of Futher education. You'll have to pay your exam fees and book early, it doesn't cost much :smile:

What is IGCSE and when can i do it, because i would do it ASAP but i've never heard of it, also roughly speaking how much do you reckon it will cost?
Reply 10
What is IGCSE and when can i do it, because i would do it ASAP but i've never heard of it, also roughly speaking how much do you reckon it will cost?

If the response could kindly be posted as a private message or another thread as to avoid this one going off-subject I would appreciate it.Thanks
You are absolutely about work experience ect. I've been volunteering with st. john's ambulance for 3 years now, will be 5 when I finish my alevels,8 when I finish my degree :smile: next summer (not this one) and the one after I will be shadowing a Gp. I'm hoping to get Hospital work experience somehow too... I will have to be quick as I figure placements are in high demand but it's certainly possible! :smile:
Thank for the luck... Also; I'm sure if you really put your mind to it you could get in to oxford. You may have to find an unorthodox route in but its possible! :smile:

EDIT: sorry to double post! I want to make sure to be attentive and reply to all answers here since I don't want you guys to feel I'm wasting your time but Mediterrasian responded as I was writing replies!

Wow, that's really good! To be honest, don't worry so much on GCSE's, the students even told me that Cambridge doesn't even look at them. I do think with that volunteering you'll do really well at getting into Medicine because how many students have that? And yeah, definitely go for Hospital work experience, I'm sure you'll be able to get it. :smile:
You're welcome, though to be honest you probably won't even need luck. I do think you could do really well at getting into Medicine with the experience and the obvious determination you have already. :smile:

Hahaha sorry about responding the same time you were writing replies! :tongue:
Reply 12
Wow, that's really good! To be honest, don't worry so much on GCSE's, the students even told me that Cambridge doesn't even look at them. I do think with that volunteering you'll do really well at getting into Medicine because how many students have that? And yeah, definitely go for Hospital work experience, I'm sure you'll be able to get it. :smile:
You're welcome, though to be honest you probably won't even need luck. I do think you could do really well at getting into Medicine with the experience and the obvious determination you have already. :smile:

I appreciate the vote of confidence, I certainly hope so. Maybe I should use that volunteering thing in my college interview too. Thanks for sparking the idea! haha

So you should be :tongue: lmao :biggrin:
Reply 13

Just doing an update as promised - I was accepted to do chemistry, maths, further maths and physics at college! :biggrin:

not really unfair is it? its an entry requirement meet them and you'll be fine (no point moaning). also every student is entitled to resits you should talk to your head teacher/tutor.

Not true, cambridge do look at them. they just think that gcses are a worse predictor on performance in tripos. someone in the cambridge thread linked a graph of applicants and successful applicants in medicine i suggest you look at that?
Reply 16
Original post by Theafricanlegend
not really unfair is it? its an entry requirement meet them and you'll be fine (no point moaning). also every student is entitled to resits you should talk to your head teacher/tutor.

I think I am going to challenge this actually.
Considering my position, that I had extenuating circumstances that made my work suffer, I think that your statement seems a little ignorant. I hardly think it's fair that even though I am more than capable, and would have reached the requirements if there hadn't been extenuating circumstances that I get denied a place without any thought or leeway.
If said student is capable of going into AS but didn't reach the requirements because of an external factor then the college take that under heavy consideration. In my case, I went to the college and explained and they offered me a place after my interview.

There is no point in wasting time on resits for GCSEs unless your a mature student coming back into the education system. ALL universities take extenuating circumstances which may excuse low performance for an exam or sitting of exams, the same as colleges.

EDIT: also, if you read the post properly, she said that her teacher didn't put her in for resits, so even the most constructive part of your post was redundant.
(edited 11 years ago)
I think I am going to challenge this actually.
Considering my position, that I had extenuating circumstances that made my work suffer, I think that your statement seems a little ignorant. I hardly think it's fair that even though I am more than capable, and would have reached the requirements if there hadn't been extenuating circumstances that I get denied a place without any thought or leeway.
If said student is capable of going into AS but didn't reach the requirements because of an external factor then the college take that under heavy consideration. In my case, I went to the college and explained and they offered me a place after my interview.

There is no point in wasting time on resits for GCSEs unless your a mature student coming back into the education system. ALL universities take extenuating circumstances which may excuse low performance for an exam or sitting of exams, the same as colleges.

EDIT: also, if you read the post properly, she said that her teacher didn't put her in for resits, so even the most constructive part of your post was redundant.

1st: You said you didnt want to apply for extenuating circumstances.
2nd: i'd like to know what the extenuating circumstance is?
3rd:so you wanted to apply to medicine/dentistry the most competitive courses surely you knew that you needed a fair few of A*s? your extenuating circumstances better be a good excuse?
4th:You can still resit modules while in college with little effort.
5th: Yes, all universities take EC into consideration, but to a certain extent.

(im talking about universities)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Theafricanlegend
1st: You said you didnt want to apply for extenuating circumstances.
2nd: i'd like to know what the extenuating circumstance is?
3rd:so you wanted to apply to medicine/dentistry the most competitive courses surely you knew that you needed a fair few of A*s? your extenuating circumstances better be a good excuse?
4th:You can still resit modules while in college with little effort.
5th: Yes, all universities take EC into consideration, but to a certain extent.

(im talking about universities)

1. you misread. I didnt want to claim it to boost my grades when I was sitting my gcses, now its too late even if I wanted to since i took a year out between gcse's and a levels because of my circumstances.

2. none of your business and irrelevant, cambridge, among other unis sent a reply to an inquiry of mine stating it would be an adequate explanation for the low results, if thats the sort of thing your getting at.

3. Maybe not on its own, granted. but with years of volunteering, the 95 UMS average over 4-5 subjects I predict, among other things, yes.

4. I could re-do gcse's alongside a-levels but i would much rather just get lots of work experience etc. under my belt in my spare time when not needing to spend all evening studying for high marks.

5. tbh, firstly I misread comments and assumed the girl you 1st quoted (I forgot the name) was talking about college. However you are right in that since she has already had the interview and exams and the offers are for this september, the situation is completely different to mine in which I still have my alevels to prove myself, so for that I apologize, you were correct.
(edited 11 years ago)
1. you misread. I didnt want to claim it to boost my grades when I was sitting my gcses, now its too late even if I wanted to since i took a year out between gcse's and a levels because of my circumstances.

2. none of your business and irrelevant, cambridge, among other unis sent a reply to an inquiry of mine stating it would be an adequate explanation for the low results, if thats the sort of thing your getting at.

3. Maybe not on its own, granted. but with years of volunteering, the 95 UMS average over 4-5 subjects I predict, among other things, yes.

4. I could re-do gcse's alongside a-levels but i would much rather just get lots of work experience etc. under my belt in my spare time when not needing to spend all evening studying for high marks.

5. tbh, firstly I misread comments and assumed the girl you 1st quoted (I forgot the name) was talking about college. However you are right in that since she has already had the interview and exams and the offers are for this september, the situation is completely different to mine in which I still have my alevels to prove myself, so for that I apologize, you were correct.

The circumstance is actually very relevant, that is why you have different degrees of ''mark boosting'', for example, a parent passed away will be 5% extra marks. where as divorce of parents/sepeartion is like 3% i remember reading somewhere. Id just like to add you only have one year of volunteering. Anyways i thought you wanted to apply to physics? Physics does not require volunteering.
here are tables of correlation between GCSEs and tripos exams, I sugeest you read:
http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/research/docs/prefective_effectiveness_of_metrics_in_admission.pdf

This is also very interesting:http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/teachers/presentations/teachersforum2010.pdf
Out of 16 applicants that had no A*s in gcse none got in. Obviously if you smash that 95percent you have a really good chance! Its also worth noting that out of the 16 none got above 90percent so maybe thats what failed them?

Good luck for the future.

Quick Reply

Latest