The Student Room Group

20/40 UCAS points short of graduate scheme!

Hi all,

I have just finished my second year at the Uni of Leicester studying Management of which I achieved 70% overall.

I am interested in a career in consulting and for the big firms (Deloitte, Ernst & Young etc) you generally need 320/340 UCAS points. The problem is that I only have 300 (A in Business Studies, B in English Lang, C in Music, with a B in General Studies), which although would make me eligible for many of the tax/audit schemes at these companies, it is not enough for the consultancy schemes. Almost all do not count general studies.

It is made even more annoying by the fact my Music recital was marked down and they refused to remark it, but that subject should have been a B.

When applying for these schemes, should I take a proactive approach by emailing the head of recruitment (presuming I can find out who it is) and explaining that I am extremely passionate and committed, my current uni grades show my level of ability and not my UCAS points? Anyone been in the same position, short by 20 points?

I was told at a careers fair by some large employers that these UCAS points were just a screen for the employers to get rid of anyone who didn't have ABB/AAB and therefore I wouldn't get through.

Thanks!

Thanks!
Reply 1
To be honest, they are unlikely to change the requirements for you unless you have something exceptional to offer. However, it does you no harm to ask them :tongue:
Reply 2
Yeah, I don't really have any extenuating circumstances either, just wasn't really thinking about grad schemes back then! I thought it may look like I was being proactive if I emailed them
Reply 3
Original post by nb206
Hi all,

I have just finished my second year at the Uni of Leicester studying Management of which I achieved 70% overall.

I am interested in a career in consulting and for the big firms (Deloitte, Ernst & Young etc) you generally need 320/340 UCAS points. The problem is that I only have 300 (A in Business Studies, B in English Lang, C in Music, with a B in General Studies), which although would make me eligible for many of the tax/audit schemes at these companies, it is not enough for the consultancy schemes. Almost all do not count general studies.

It is made even more annoying by the fact my Music recital was marked down and they refused to remark it, but that subject should have been a B.

When applying for these schemes, should I take a proactive approach by emailing the head of recruitment (presuming I can find out who it is) and explaining that I am extremely passionate and committed, my current uni grades show my level of ability and not my UCAS points? Anyone been in the same position, short by 20 points?

I was told at a careers fair by some large employers that these UCAS points were just a screen for the employers to get rid of anyone who didn't have ABB/AAB and therefore I wouldn't get through.

Thanks!

Thanks!

You did music? Do you have any grade 6, 7 or 8's? I'm pretty sure they go towards your UCAS point score! :smile:
Same situations. Just look elsewhere. You have done well to get 300 ucas points. Its more than many!!
Reply 5
Original post by remiquaver
You did music? Do you have any grade 6, 7 or 8's? I'm pretty sure they go towards your UCAS point score! :smile:

Companies are only interested in your top 3 A levels. They won't include AS levels, music grades or anything like that.
Reply 6
I seem to be becoming a serial poster on this thread, apologies for that.

OP, I thought it might be worth mentioning that out of approx 1000 grads joining Deloitte this year, a total of 2 are from Leicester (according to Facebook which has 800 of them registered). By no means am I trying to shoot down your hopes, if those two can do it then you've also got a shot, but as you said yourself you have no extenuating circumstances and you don't meet the entry criteria. Perhaps reconsider Audit/Tax (it's not so bad, you get a nice qualification and can jump ship 3 years down the line :tongue:), or look towards less demanding schemes. Just some honest advise, don't take it as an attack on Leicester, my uni got a grand total of 4 entries lol.
Reply 7
Yeah I can play some grade 6,7 and 8s but don't actually have the exams. I do find it a bit silly that I am being held back by my A-levels, after all I did go to Uni so I could have a better future and chance of getting these jobs only to find out I am being held back by my a-levels. At the same time, I can see why they are trying to get the top people at their organisation! It seems Management was not wasted on me
Reply 8
Also, not really interesting in audit/tax/accounting :/
Reply 9
Original post by M1011
I seem to be becoming a serial poster on this thread, apologies for that.

OP, I thought it might be worth mentioning that out of approx 1000 grads joining Deloitte this year, a total of 2 are from Leicester (according to Facebook which has 800 of them registered). By no means am I trying to shoot down your hopes, if those two can do it then you've also got a shot, but as you said yourself you have no extenuating circumstances and you don't meet the entry criteria. Perhaps reconsider Audit/Tax (it's not so bad, you get a nice qualification and can jump ship 3 years down the line :tongue:), or look towards less demanding schemes. Just some honest advise, don't take it as an attack on Leicester, my uni got a grand total of 4 entries lol.

I've just counted that there are 4 from Leicester on the Deloitte Graduates 11/12 fb group.
Reply 10
Original post by darko123
I've just counted that there are 4 from Leicester on the Deloitte Graduates 11/12 fb group.

Erm OK? My post was 4 weeks ago.
Reply 11
Original post by M1011
Erm OK? My post was 4 weeks ago.

I know, I was merely providing an update...
Reply 12
Original post by darko123
I know, I was merely providing an update...

Ah, fair enough :tongue:
Reply 13
Original post by M1011
To be honest, they are unlikely to change the requirements for you unless you have something exceptional to offer. However, it does you no harm to ask them :tongue:

fairly old post, just noticed it. Just get your foot in whatever you can within the big four, once inside you can try transfer. I was in the same position, destroyed my degree and now just kick doors down if you get me
I'd probably say scrap applying for advisory/consulting roles. you won't get them with that points score. Consulting is the best thing the big4 do in terms of 'prestige'. One thing I will suggest is apply for the ACA/CTA (accountancy or tax), and you will most likely be able to try advisory for a while at one of them. Then you'll have a chance to impress your line manager, and could attempt to move to that service line when you qualify as an ACA.

Your chances are slim as the highest concentration of applications to the big4 are for advisory/consulting. Audit and Assurance is far easier to get onto. Still not a given though, even if you do meet the requirements. But that's what I'd suggest.

Quick Reply

Latest