Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Canon 1100d vs Nikon D3100 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    I've already found the D3100 for £330 but can't really wait a couple of months more as it's my birthday start of May and parents are putting a bit of money towards it for me :ahee:
    Hey, where did you find the Nikon for that price? I'm thinking of buying.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harrietx123x)
    Hey, where did you find the Nikon for that price? I'm thinking of buying.
    I honestly can't remember and it was probs on some sort of special offer, sorry!

ReputationRep:
    I want to actual be able to get decent pictures.
    Thats up to you not your camera...
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanBrwn)
    Thats up to you not your camera...
    To a certain extent yes, but use a disposable camera and a £500 camera and there'll be a massive difference :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    To a certain extent yes, but use a disposable camera and a £500 camera and there'll be a massive difference :teehee:
    I don't know... I've seen some good photos taken on disposable cameras, and some awful ones taken on DSLRs (including my early efforts. :lol:)

A good photographer will likely take a better photo with the DSLR, but someone who doesn't know what they're doing with the DSLR will be better off with a camera more capable of auto functions.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    I don't know... I've seen some good photos taken on disposable cameras, and some awful ones taken on DSLRs (including my early efforts. :lol:)

A good photographer will likely take a better photo with the DSLR, but someone who doesn't know what they're doing with the DSLR will be better off with a camera more capable of auto functions.
    Yes but it's not like I'm going in assuming I'm going to take amazing photos just cos I've got a DSLR but this should help me approve, and my aunt who does a lot of photography is helping me out :yep:

ReputationRep:
    The D3100 soon decended to a price in the same range as the D3000 it replaced.

That is why I never buy a body or lens until at least 6 months after it has hit the shelves, rather than 6 months from announcement. The launch price of the D3100 was 100 pounds more than a D5000, which is why my daughter has a D5000. The D3100 price will be optimal as it has been replaced by the D3200, which also hit the shelves, so now is an excellent time to buy a D3100 from a value perspective although availability will be for a limited time as the supply chain gets cleared down.

A quick google revealed alot of prices between 350 and 380, but some at 329 and one at 309.

I find the biggest issue with SLRs is that it requires a commitment to further spend. As a standard 18-55 will be too limiting for most users, especially if they have been using good quality bridge cameras, or even some of the higher end compacts.

ReputationRep:
    A **** photo is a **** photo regardless of the camera that captures it

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: July 1, 2012
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?
Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.