The Student Room Group

Would you have a relationship with a transgender person?

Scroll to see replies

yes,
I identify as pansexual, gender to me is not an issue.
If someone identifies as a female but has a penis, to me they are a female, and I'm attracted to females and males,
so you know
Reply 41
If it was the "right" person, probably.
Yes, it wouldn't matter to me at all :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 43
No it seems like a complicated process that for completely selfish reasons, I wouldnt want to get into.

However if I was in a long-term relationship with said person, who came out transgender to me, and I had strong feelings for them, then Id really have to give it some thought to carry on the relationship, and if I didnt, of course Id be there every step of the way for them as a friend.
Original post by Cmmah
I'm talking about a woman going out with a man who used to be a woman.

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, then you're talking about transsexual, NOT transgender. There's a big difference between the two!

A person's gender is not defined by their genitalia. That is a person's sex. Sex is between the legs. Gender is in the head. A transgender would be a male who identifies as a woman, or a female who identifies as a man. A transsexual is one who has received medical intervention to change their sex, either surgery or hormone replacement therapy.

Anyway, as a pan man, yes I would. A transgender or a transsexual, doesn't matter to me.

Original post by TitchTheAntiHero
yes,
I identify as pansexual, gender to me is not an issue.
If someone identifies as a female but has a penis, to me they are a female, and I'm attracted to females and males,
so you know

I have to disagree with you there. If they have a penis, they are most certainly male. That, however, does not mean they're not a woman. I disagree for the reasons above: male/female describing sex, man/woman describing gender.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, then you're talking about transsexual, NOT transgender. There's a big difference between the two!

A person's gender is not defined by their genitalia. That is a person's sex. Sex is between the legs. Gender is in the head. A transgender would be a male who identifies as a woman, or a female who identifies as a man. A transsexual is one who has received medical intervention to change their sex, either surgery or hormone replacement therapy.

Anyway, as a pan man, and yes I would. A transgender or a transsexual, doesn't matter to me.

I have to disagree with you there. If they have a penis, they are most certainly male. That, however, does not mean they're not a woman. I disagree for the reasons above: male/female describing sex, man/woman describing gender.

on a medical basis, you are correct - transgender+transexual, mean exactly what you have just described..

however in common usage, transgender, or trans/trans* is used as an umbrella term for lots of different groups, + most people, even after sugery, prefer to be called transgender, then transexual these days
same! 2am:yikes: I'm gone to bed whiles reading Sherlock Holmes:biggrin:
Original post by fallen_acorns
on a medical basis, you are correct - transgender+transexual, mean exactly what you have just described..

however in common usage, transgender, or trans/trans* is used as an umbrella term for lots of different groups, + most people, even after sugery, prefer to be called transgender, then transexual these days

Hmm, I wasn't aware of this, thank you! I always interpreted trans* as the umbrella for transsexual+transgender (would transvestite fall under that umbrella?), but wasn't aware of the preference for transgender. I find the other two uses are more descriptive and more useful as language, though.
Reply 48
Hmm, I wasn't aware of this, thank you! I always interpreted trans* as the umbrella for transsexual+transgender (would transvestite fall under that umbrella?), but wasn't aware of the preference for transgender. I find the other two uses are more descriptive and more useful as language, though.

Not necessarily, as one can be a transvestite (wearing the other sex's/gender's clothing for sexual pleasure) without being transgendered. The same goes for cross-dressers.

mm they are, but because of the old 'medical' assosiations, the word transexual, seems to be less and less used...

but i agree with you, it does provide a good distinction between sex+gender, and although fairly rare, there are some transgender people who dont feel dsyphoric, + are happy being female, but in a male body, for exsample...
i consider myself pan-sexual, so yes.
Original post by Hylean
Not necessarily, as one can be a transvestite (wearing the other sex's/gender's clothing for sexual pleasure) without being transgendered. The same goes for cross-dressers.

Oh, no, that's not what I meant at all. I'm aware that someone can be a transvestite while being cisgender, but I was thinking would trans* = sexual+gender+vestite, but I get it now. trans* meaning transgender in a broad sense. :tongue:
Reply 52
hetrosexual male, no. Wouldnt be able to get over the fact they were actually a dude...
Reply 53
I don't mind to do it in principle, it's just I find it difficult imagining being attracted to a person that was previously a man. If I was genuinely attracted to them I'd have no problem with it, but nobody can control what they're attracted (and not attracted) to, and I have a feeling that it would unnerve me on some level, interfering with how I would feel about them.
Oh, no, that's not what I meant at all. I'm aware that someone can be a transvestite while being cisgender, but I was thinking would trans* = sexual+gender+vestite, but I get it now. trans* meaning transgender in a broad sense. :tongue:

serriously, dont worry a huge amount - there is no definitave guide to all these terms, alot are new and still un sorted+ diferent groups of people will use diferent terms.. and be comfortable with diferent things

the only golden rule is: if a term your using is offending someone, stop using it..
Original post by cl_steele
hetrosexual male, no. Wouldnt be able to get over the fact they were actually a dude...

* they were never a dude..
Original post by cl_steele

But...they wouldn't be 'actually a dude'....they would be a woman, and female...
Reply 57
NO QUESTION I love me some triangular peeps.
Original post by Jorddds
NO QUESTION I love me some triangular peeps.

You and ViHart should hook up.
Reply 59
Original post by fallen_acorns
* they were never a dude..

How were they not? By definition is they are a post op trans-sexual theyd have had to have been male to start with...?

Original post by RandZul'Zorander
But...they wouldn't be 'actually a dude'....they would be a woman, and female...

Physically yes but none the less...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending