Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Getting from 3rd to 2:1 Watch

ReputationRep:
    How likely is it to end up with a 2:1 in Law if you have had marks 45-47% in your first year and only 51-58% in your second year of study?The overall marks for the first year were 46 and for the second year 54%.
    You would need to achieve 60% or more overall in three third year modules to get a 2:1. I have a friend who asked me this question.

Do you have similar scoring at your universities?
    :cool:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the uni scoring system - I don't understand yours from your post.

If you work damn hard and first year modules don't count, you could do it.

ReputationRep:
    The scoring if I understand it correctly is either best 7 modules from second and third year together or best three modules in year 3 count depending which option gives you the highest score. First year doesn't count. Second year may or may not count. Is it similar elsewhere?

ReputationRep:
    It's probable.

At my uni all of your honours grades count. It's not a percentage system though it's the CAS system which is essentially a complete mystery, which is bias towards grading you downwards (i.e. it's near impossible to break through from one class to another, e.g., 2.2 to 2.1, 2.1 to 1.1).

ReputationRep:
    It's strange that every university has a different scoring system.

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.