The Student Room Group

What's your favourite Stephen King novel?

Just curious really :3

I haven't read many, but I'd like to see which are most popular :h:

Why the neg? D: I LIKE Stephen King :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

The Stand.
Bloody long, but bloody brilliant.
I loved The Green Mile.

But The Shining, Cujo and Misery have been my favourites.
Reply 3
Dark Tower series is unbelievable. If I had to pick a favourite.... Song of Susannah. But it's bloody close with The Waste Lands. Love em all!
I haven't actually read any aside from Needful Things, though going off the fact that most, if not all of his novel to film adaptations are all incredibly faithful, I'd have to include Apt Pupil, Green Mile and Misery.
Reply 5
:3 I've just started The Shining & I'm enjoying it so far.

I didn't find Needful things so enticing when I read the opening first chapters, but I loved Carrie.
Reply 6
Either The Stand (uncut) or Desperation. I am currently really enjoying 11/22/63, though.

Original post by philistine
going off the fact that most, if not all of his novel to film adaptations are all incredibly faithful

Hmm, not exactly. The best adaptation of his work is probably The Mist - the movie version of which actually gives the story an ending. An a ****ing marvelous one at that. Also there's The Green Mile, which misses out my favourite part of that Novella.
Reply 7
Definitely The Stand.
Original post by Viennaberry
Just curious really :3

I haven't read many, but I'd like to see which are most popular :h:

I only like the films..... like, rose red, carrie, pet cemetary and others. :smile:
I don't really like his novels much, but his short stories are brilliant. I strongly recommend Night Shift for a dose, or even an introduction, to Stephen King. Night Surf is my favorite of the lot, which is apparently related to The Stand.
Original post by philistine
though going off the fact that most, if not all of his novel to film adaptations are all incredibly faithful,

'The Shining' would like a word with you...
Original post by thecrimsonidol
'The Shining' would like a word with you...

That's just what I've heard parroted by many King fans. Call the cops if it isn't the case.
Reply 12
Must admit I've only read The Shining... Although I will eventually read The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile. Actually, as the missus owns a book shop stocking several Stephen King titles, I have no excuse not to read more of his work.
I think I've only read four of his - The Shining, Duma Key, Cell and The Dead Zone. They're all excellent, but I remember Duma Key creeping the bejeezus out of me (I don't even properly remember why... maybe I've repressed the memory??) I thought The Shining was really good too, quite creepy itself, and Cell is good for the Zombie apocalypse lovers out there :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by DragonHeartstring
Cell is good for the Zombie apocalypse lovers out there :smile:

Actually, as a massive fan of zombie apocalypse literature... I really couldn't get into Cell... Been meaning to give it another go. Maybe I will. Thanks for reminding me about it!!
Reply 15
Since I'm a huge Stephen King, I should have answered this thread a lot sooner. <facepalm>
To answer the question, I could not just pick one, but here are some of my personal favorites: :smile:
- The Stand
- The Shining
- Salem's Lot
- The Dead Zone
- Pet Sematary
- The Dark Half
- The Long Walk
- Duma Key
- Night Shift
- Misery
:biggrin:
The Green Mile

Percy has to be one of the most dislikable characters in history.
Reply 17
Original post by Lovefoxxx_93
The Green Mile

Percy has to be one of the most dislikable characters in history.

The Green Mile is awesome too. :smile:
By the way, what is everyone's opinion on the news of 'The Shining' sequel, Dr Sleep? :smile:
Reply 18
I've read Firestarter, Cujo, and a collection of his short books (can't remember the name).

I should probably read more of his books, that's pretty shocking :colondollar:
Reply 19
Loved The Shining! Am reading The green mile now.

As for Dr Sleep, seeing as it's bringing The Tribe vampires into it, seems very detatched from original to be sure XD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending