The Student Room Group

What is edexcel a level maths like?

It's a long story but I ended up not taking maths as level in september last year and I wish I'd tried harder to sort the problem out. However I ended up taking physics and honestly I don't find it as hard as people were saying it would be without maths but obviously having maths would help.

I am thinking about taking maths this september with the year below. I'm fine with physics and taking physics has meant that my brain has been mathematically active should I say and yes it will be hard with a year out of proper maths but in general how are people finding the course? What did you get at GCSE?

Just trying to see if it's worth taking it or not, possibly to A2 if I stay on at school another year (considering doing physics with astronomy at uni)
Reply 1
a2 maths is possible in one year. C1 , M1 and S1 are bull**** modules (you might wanna do d1 instead of s1 tho).

All you need to know to pass C2, C3, C4 are integration/differentiation, and trig identities.
I've just finished my AS maths with edexcel.
I had a year out of maths because i did my GCSE a year early, and initially it was hard work getting back into it, especially as it is a huge leap from GCSE, but once you get into it, shouldn't be a problem. D1 is easy, core modules are harder. If you've done physics then you shouldn't find mechanics a problem. I'd say it's the same difficulty as other boards really, but the textbook often has questions much harder than anything that'll come up in the exam, and occasionally they print the wrong answer in the back which is frustrating...
Reply 3
I've have just finished A-level math on the Aqa board, i achieved a grade A a GCSE (edexcel) although i moved from 3rd set target grade C to to first set target grade A/A* in the space of 3 months i also got the second highest mark on the last paper in the whole school :biggrin:, but without this senseless bragging my point is that math is a very logical subject and can learnt very quickly, my advice is that if you enjoyed math at GCSE and was working at A/A* You would have already met some of the A/S level topics i.e. coordinate geometry, completing the square etc. So in my opinion some may disagree but an A* GCSE candidate is not far from an A/S level candidate the real step up is A2 when (surprise surprise) they expand on your calculus and trig. However as i've said if you enjoy math and have a talent for recognising patterns and memorising formulae, you should be fine, and yes it is definitely worth taking if you wish to go in to any science including math at uni you will need some knowledge of calculus etc which will make math enormously helpful to you now.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Nooshkabob
I've just finished my AS maths with edexcel.
I had a year out of maths because i did my GCSE a year early, and initially it was hard work getting back into it, especially as it is a huge leap from GCSE, but once you get into it, shouldn't be a problem. D1 is easy, core modules are harder. If you've done physics then you shouldn't find mechanics a problem. I'd say it's the same difficulty as other boards really, but the textbook often has questions much harder than anything that'll come up in the exam, and occasionally they print the wrong answer in the back which is frustrating...

The mechanics modules in applied math goes into far more detail then physics, and is far more effective at preparing for degree level, most people find D1 easy i hated it because id rather do differential equations rather then getting arthritis in my left hand from drawing dot to dot continuously lol but yeah like i said they leave the substance of physics out 'to make it more accessible to students' complete different story at uni, so yeah do math :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by lubus
a2 maths is possible in one year. C1 , M1 and S1 are bull**** modules (you might wanna do d1 instead of s1 tho).

All you need to know to pass C2, C3, C4 are integration/differentiation, and trig identities.

not quite C2 and C3 maybe but C4 also touches vectors, partial fractions and more algebra rather then calculus
Reply 6
I'm in year 12 and just finished the full A level maths edexcel course maths course in one year.

I did C1,2,3 and 4, M1 and M2

C1 is a joke and C2 is quite a nice module. C3 and C4 are hard but put in the work and both are doable.
M1 is quite easy, especially if you do physics. But M2 is a killer, or at least for me it was.

Good luck with whatever you do :smile:
I don't do physics but I'd probably take maths to AS this year if I were you, I wouldn't do the whole A2 in a year. You'd have to put in a serious amount of work and you'd be putting the other subjects at risk. You could do what you mentioned and stay on for another year but is it really worth a year? If you're finding the maths OK at the moment then having AS maths should be enough, it'll give you quite a boost above GCSE. If you do want to do the A2 as well then I would advise against doing it by yourself - it'd probably be OK for maths enthusiasts but really I know a lot of people (some really intelligent) who struggled with lessons.
Reply 8
Edexcel A-Level Maths is easy compared to physics and chemistry in my opinion, as you can just revise from past papers as their isn't much variety in what the examiner can ask you. If you achieved at least a B in maths at GCSE and you are willing to put in time to complete many past papers (over and over again) you will cope well.

Quick Reply

Latest