The Student Room Group

Has anyone chosen a law course at university, but has not studied it at college?

I've applied at Birmingham City University's Law with Business Law course, which I am hoping will help me achieve my future aspiration.

I have studied BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Business, Certificate in Financial Studies and Diploma in Financial Studies. The three courses touched on some law acts etc but it has never gone in depth as an A Level Law course would as it is a business course.

I was wondering if anyone has been in the same situation and has studied the same or a similar course at BCU and also whether or not the course starts from the beginning by introducing law to newbies, as some universities do?

All replies would be appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Namra
I've applied at Birmingham City University's Law with Business Law course, which I am hoping will help me achieve my future aspiration.

I have studied BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Business, Certificate in Financial Studies and Diploma in Financial Studies. The three courses touched on some law acts etc but it has never gone in depth as an A Level Law course would as it is a business course.

I was wondering if anyone has been in the same situation and has studied the same or a similar course at BCU and also whether or not the course starts from the beginning by introducing law to newbies, as some universities do?

Many people apply without law.......even states on uni websites that it's not a requirement, while others are and are preferable at the top law universities.
Essay based subjects are the best if your planning on doing law along with subjects which develop other skill sets.
Original post by Namra

Pretty much no university requires Law at A-level. I applied this year to Warwick, Newcastle, Durham, Nottingham and Oxford and they all say that Law at A-level is unnecessary. Indeed, some said that it was undesireable because students had to unlearn things which had been oversimplified.
Reply 3
No-one that I am friends that is applying for law is taking it at a-level. My brother is currently studying law at university and did not take it at a-level.

Universities teach law assuming no prior education in it.
Reply 4
Thank you for your replies, I feel much more confident now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest