The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Good. There are too many people on JSA who are sat on their backsides, like my brother -.-
Original post by DudeRugs
Ok, it can be abused with kids, but that is a minority of people, and probably a tiny minority too. I guess there is a loophole here, but still the vast majority of people do not get enough money to live comfortably and live decently. The vast majority would also not want to be on benefits long term and would much rather have a career.
There are many people here who will get decent paying jobs to have enough money to go on holidays, support their kids, live comfortably and save for the future. Yet they get so upset when people who get benefits only look for work for 3 days out of the week instead of spending 40 hours a week to look for work because they get a few pounds a day.

If they want to live comfortably, they should get a ****ing job. There are
jobs, whether they're cleaning up **** or stacking shelves, it's a matter of people thinking that certain jobs are beneath them.
Original post by Steve1654
Hmm, maybe they should cut other state benefits apart from this, because it seems unemployment is a very big problem.. how about pulling out of Iraq and cutting military spending! We're spending 100's of millions on new nuclear submarines! WTF we have an economy to save!!!

Thereby resulting in thousands of redundancies for soldiers and people who build nuclear submarines~
Why don't they just hurry up and get rid of benefits altogether, that's what they're clearly working towards. In fact, put all the poor people in concentration camps and gas them, it's a much more direct way of disposing of us undesirables.

When the Tories came into power I didn't hate them, but with each day that passes I realise more and more that they're nothing more than out of touch, stuck up toffs with what is now a very clear agenda. These policies don't make sense from any other perspective.
Reply 64
They need to sort out the system first. I've got one casual job and have just got another part time job (about 18 hours a week) and by the time tax has been taken off my wages i'm actually getting less than if I were to go on JSA. Of course I've taken the job because I want to get the experience, but there really is no incentive to work.
But I don't see how people can actually be on JSA for YEARS. I'm not saying all of them don't try, but the job centre and the people need to work together to put them on relevant training courses, attend practice interviews to be able to improve technique, encourage volunteer work as well as seeking paid work to build up skills, improve CV writing skills etc.

At the moment JSA relies on ticking certain boxes and unless you jump through their loops you will lose it. So I do think there needs to be a change in the system. But then people do need to be applying to every job they could do...if there is a job that is not so much what you want but you get offered it, why shouldn't people take it? Why should they rely on JSA until they find a job they really want? The job centre only requires you to look for 3 (or is it 5?) things a week, and even then it doesn't mean actually applying to that many. Tbh I think that's easily enough things for everyone to do
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by INTit
I wouldn't be surprised if the politicians are actively trying to encourage this "them" and "us" mentality. Turning the unemployed into the enemy and punishing them with menial work for a laughable allowance is a great PR move as everybody loves to see the enemy get punished.

People need to realize that unemployed people aren't an enemy that needs punishment as there's a good chance you will be one of them in the future.

I've suspected this for some time. Also, note the public vs private sector debate over the pensions row. That got people up in arms arguing about whose situation was worse. Ultimately politicians are the true scroungers pissing our money away.

There is always an element of truth. There clearly are scroungers on benefits and there clearly is a mismatch between pensions in the private and public sector but none of these people are exceptionally well off on the whole. It detracts from the main issue that we're all in a ****hole and it is the banking system and government's fault.
I really despise what this government is doing. I also despise how easily all the drones lap it all up.

If the Tories win the next general election I despair for what might happen to the most vulnerable people of our society. Makes me sick to my stomach.
I'd like to point out that I don't see a problem with this system, people on benefits do need to go out of their way to look for jobs, but the idea that people on benefits are somehow subservient to taxpayers is disgusting in my opinion; many people can't help being on benefits, that doesn't mean they're of any less worth as people than you. Scroungers and people who use JSA as a lifestyle rather than a safety net are disgusting and need to be tackled, but the idea that everyone on JSA should be forced to do work like litter picking and so on is awful - surely it's better to encourage them to do something that really benefits society such as volunteer work in hospitals/kids' centres etc. Whilst I'm at uni I'm going to be hopefully volunteering either at a children's arts and play scheme or a hospital, because it's better preparation for work - not just the work I want to do but work in general - than walking around with a grabber putting other people's rubbish in a bin bag. Surely that's what we need to aim for - getting the people on JSA to do things that will help them in their job rather than treating them like the dregs of society and forcing them to do the menial jobs that no-one wants to do.
Reply 68
Original post by For The Love Of Giraffe
I am not a cretin. Throwing names around does not improve an argument.

I am just saying that you are given money to support yourself while you look for work, so therefore treat it like a job and look for work as hard as you can - 3 out of 7 days isn't what I would call sufficient effort if I were in your shoes, unless you had a good reason...but in your free time, you simply leisure around, which shouldn't take up over half of your time if you've effectively been paid to find work.

You were being a cretin for suggesting that I get paid at your (or the tax payer's) expense for enjoying myself. I do not receive money from the tax payer to enjoy myself, but to keep myself from starvation and destitution.
I don't know where you're getting this about people saying that those on JSA are below those who work. No one has said anything like this. Instead, many (like myself) have simply said that those on JSA should spend more time looking for jobs than many of them do (such as the OP and their example of only doing 3 days a week) and a few people have suggested giving those on JSA menial jobs so that they contribute to society by doing things such as picking up litter, while also probably being motivated to get out of that situation. I'm not saying that I agree with that latter argument (although I don't think it's a poor argument and could possibly be sensible if thought about correctly), but these arguments are not at all saying that JSA receivers are worth less than others. It's just that we're saying that we want them to not have to rely on it and to do their utmost to find a way to not have to receive it.

And yes, I agree that it would be useful to get those on JSA doing jobs like you suggested, although of course, jobs such as litter-picking need to be done too and considering how many people are on JSA, I'm sure a vast range of types of jobs could be filled.

It's more the patronizing tone of many posts, not just in this thread - it hasn't been very bad at all in this thread, but in other ones in the past it's been awful.

I think the important thing is that people are asked what sort of work they'd like to do, and that is taken into account - of course, their choices can't always be guaranteed and people will need to do things they may not enjoy or may not have chosen for themselves, but the thing I disliked was the way that poster specified that it should be "unpleasant" work.
Reply 70
Original post by Darkphilosopher
1) Volunteer work? Searching the internet for part time work? Going out washing cars? Something that can be added to a CV to improve chances of employment.

2) Stop assuming jobs "don't exist" because they do. The "I won't bother trying to find a job because there are no jobs" attitude is quite frankly, stupid.

I think that some of your advice may not be practical. Firstly, voluntary work might like good on a CV, but then it might not. From the employers I have contacted, asking them about voluntary work, at least half of them have said that it wouldn't matter whether someone had voluntary work on their CV or not, so as long as they were the right person for the job.

Secondly, many npeople cannot take part-time work, and if they could it is not always conceivable how taking this kind of work might benefit them had they not taken it. Personally speaking part-time work has financially crippled me in the past, and has led to some serious problems over the paying of rent. For my part, I have to weigh-up whether taking part-time work will benefit me. Plus, a lot of part-time work is cleaning and leaflet distributing. The former does not always look good on a CV, and the latter cannot be down with own transport.

Car washing? There are at present several car washing place in a radius of about two miles where I live. You can go there and get your car wash for £1 and done professionally. How much would an unemployed person have to charge washing someone's car in order to pay for his food, his rent, and his travel costs?

This is why I think that your advice, although well meaning, is largely impractical.
Most people that stop doing what the person that pays them asks them to do, stop getting paid. I know I would.
Yes, but in order for other people to keep themselves from starvation and destitution, they work and earn money so that they do not need to do that. That's why you're looking for a job and if you're not able to take it seriously enough but would rather waste more time using up tax payer's money so that they can feed you, that is frankly not good enough. People don't give money towards people like you because they want to look after you and give you an easy ride - they do it for as short as possible so that you can get back on your feet and then fend for yourself and to do that, you need to find a job. Deciding that you'd rather spend more than 50% of that time not jobseeking, but on those days, still taking money to live - well that is just wrong. How can you not see that?

That is why it is called jobseekers allowance. If you were given money just to survive and weren't expected to try your best to get off it as soon as possible, it would be called food money or something and essentially would just last for as long as you please to casually look around.

Again, throwing names around isn't necessary - it just makes it seem that you can't back-up your point properly. I mean honestly, if I were in your shoes, I would spend probably Monday - Saturday handing out CVs, applying online, going into shops and businesses, talking to the Job center, going to free employability workshops, et cetera and trust me, I'd be so exhausted from all of that that I wouldn't even have time to go on TSR to argue with people that I deserve that JSA money. Now I'm not saying you have to work 24/7 to find a job just because I would spend like 90% of my time, but can you not see that spending less than 50% of your time is beyond ridiculous? Yeah, maybe sometimes it gets you down and you take a day off, but then you get back to it and don't give up as you're getting money to survive and it's only fair to take it while you absolutely need it, so the quicker you get a job, the quicker you can live for yourself.

Sorry that it's a rant, but honestly, you're attacking me for not understanding the amount of time you take for job-seeking when you're getting money to live for free.

I really do hope at one point in your life you do have to have JSA for an extended time because you clearly have no idea what it's actually like to be on it, I've been on JSA for about 18 months, it's not enough money to pay all the bills and I'm £100s behind on some of them, to say I should be looking for work Monday-Saturday handing out CVs and I'll easily find work is total crap. Firstly where's the money coming from to pay for all the printing of these CVs? Also the travel expenses and whatnot. It just isn't practical, it's Easy to say but that's all it is.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Martyn*
http://money.aol.co.uk/2012/07/03/lazy-jobseekers-may-lose-benefits-for-three-years/

This will be open to abuse.

I already know of one person who had his benefits stopped (although not for three years but for one month) because he was not doing enough to look for work. The man in question did not fail to attend any of his appointments, but believed that it was pointless looking for jobs that were not there, and failed to fill-in his job application tracker with jobs he applied for.

Yesterday my right-wing A4E advisor sternly warned me that the rate at which I was applying for jobs has decreased over the months and said I must try harder or face sanctions. I spend 3 days per week at that place looking for jobs and applying for them. And talking about politics is off the cards.

In my view, right wing Tories seem to be kicking the wrong people. Unemployed people are already having a tough time, and these Tories would prefer to see them shackled to a rock and whipped if they don't do as they are told.

You do know Labour explored this idea too before they lost the last election right? They were the ones who started to introduce tougher sanctions and advised JCP staff to be tougher and look for more people to sanction.

I know it's easy to say "Tories are bad" but if you actually did some research, you'd find Labour were planning similar things. The basics of the work programme was a Labour idea too, as was sending people to companies like A4E.

As for the person you know, they didn't look for work when the first rule of JSA is that you look for work. I fail to see why you're annoyed with the Jobcentre, they simply did their job and were right to do so.

So yeah, basically, stop with the blind hatred of Tories and try to understand what you're on about.
I never said being on JSA is easy or cheap - I'm just saying spending less than 50% of your time looking for a job is not good enough when you're getting free money for food. Whether it's enough is another matter.

Tbh, if I saw people spending more time looking for a job on JSA, I'd happily agree that they should have more money so they can stabily handle things. The anount of money is a separate issue though to my annoyance in this thread. All I said is 3 days of a week is not enough and no one has provided one credible argument yet for why one may spend over half their time not looking for work when on JSA.

And if you have this computer, I'm sure you can e-mail or Skype with businesses. There are ways around a lot of problems if you want to solve them.

Well if you're so eager to know what I did with the rest of my time it's simple, I was on a part time college course getting myself into a Russell group uni to read history, and not that it matters while looking for work and living off next to nothing I managed to be the only person in my year to walk away with all distinctions.
You don't pay a penny towards my JSA because I payed my taxes and worked damn hard for the past 12 years till I lost my job.

Original post by Shomberlon
I really do hope at one point in your life you do have to have JSA for an extended time because you clearly have no idea what it's actually like to be on it, I've been on JSA for about 18 months, it's not enough money to pay all the bills and I'm £100s behind on some of them, to say I should be looking for work Monday-Saturday handing out CVs and I'll easily find work is total crap. Firstly where's the money coming from to pay for all the printing of these CVs? Also the travel expenses and whatnot. It just isn't practical, it's Easy to say but that's all it is.

Money for printing CVs? Even if you don't have a printer, you can have plain black on white A4 for about 1-2p per sheet. Emailed CVs are free, and the vast majority of jobs at the Jobcentre ask you to e-mail your CV in.

Job centre will pay travel expenses for any confirmed interviews. And if you've been on JSA for 18 months you'll have a New Deal railcard entitling you to 50% off the rest of your train travel (not Scotland)

Say what you like about being on JSA but putting up those two things as barriers to employment says to me that you're more interested in making excuses.
Reply 76
Why don't we just bring back the workhouse?
Jobs don't grow on trees, honestly I despise it when people are all "OMG GO GET A JOB ALREADY"
It isn't that easy, my boyfriend had to go on sick pay because his Anxiety at that time was so bad he couldn't get a job. He hated every minute of it and he hated every minute of being on Jobseekers because he full well knew what people thought of him when he actually wanted a job but because of his mental condition couldn't.

There is a popular misconception that the only people who are on jobseekers are lazy louts who can't be bothered to get a job. Admittedly, there is probably a fair share of people who are like that, but the majority of people on the jobbie are doing so purely because they need some help getting off their feet.

And in all honesty, it sickens me when people say "don't you feel guilty that you're not contributing to society?". Jog on.. Not everybody just sits around doing nothing waiting for a job, I have known several people who go and get some voluntary work in order to increase the likelihood of getting a job.
Why are so many saying "THERE ARE JOBS!!!!" considering different regions etc. I am not having any luck in mine for instance.

As a leftie, I feel sympathetic towards those on benefits because there is a government led hate campaign against them. And the public seem to have joined them.
Original post by marcusfox
Money for printing CVs? Even if you don't have a printer, you can have plain black on white A4 for about 1-2p per sheet. Emailed CVs are free, and the vast majority of jobs at the Jobcentre ask you to e-mail your CV in.

Job centre will pay travel expenses for any confirmed interviews. And if you've been on JSA for 18 months you'll have a New Deal railcard entitling you to 50% off the rest of your train travel (not Scotland)

Say what you like about being on JSA but putting up those two things as barriers to employment says to me that you're more interested in making excuses.

I'm just going to write you off as a troll because you really have no clue on the matter.

Latest

Trending

Trending