I got a physics tie and was wondering what the following formulae meant

IA = IG + m(AG)2

\Sigma \dfrac {1}{x^5} = \pi \dfrac {p}{1-p^5}

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovemath)
    I got a physics tie and was wondering what the following formulae meant

IA = IG + m(AG)2

\Sigma \dfrac {1}{x^5} = \pi \dfrac {p}{1-p^5}
    the first one is the parallel axis theorem.

ReputationRep:
    This is what I found on wikipedia.

P-series

A generalization of the harmonic series is the p-series (or hyperharmonic series), defined as:

\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^p}  ,\!

for any positive real number p. When p = 1, the p-series is the harmonic series, which diverges. Either the integral test or the Cauchy condensation test shows that the p-series converges for all p > 1 (in which case it is called the over-harmonic series) and diverges for all p ≤ 1. If p > 1 then the sum of the p-series is ζ(p), i.e., the Riemann zeta function evaluated at p.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmoni...mathematics%29

ReputationRep:
    Rishabh95's right. Here's more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemann...roduct_formula

In all honesty the equation has more to do with mathematics than physics, although I guess it can crop up on occasion.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.