The Student Room Group

How many full orbitals are in an atom of sulfur?

So the previous part of the question asks you to complete the electron configuration for an atom of Sulfur:

Easy enough: 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p4

It then asks how many full orbitals are in an atom of sulfur. So I know that an orbital holds up to a max of 2 electrons...so I thought the logical conclusion from the above configuration would be sulfur holding 8 full orbitals, but the mark scheme says 7....help! Don't understand that!

Thanks
Think about how electrons fill into the orbitals, they pair up as a last resort :yep:
Reply 2
Original post by EierVonSatan
Think about how electrons fill into the orbitals, they pair up as a last resort :yep:

But in 3p4 surely there would be 2 pairs of electrons? I'm clearly to thick to understand this
Original post by haj1989
But in 3p4 surely there would be 2 pairs of electrons? I'm clearly to thick to understand this

No you're not :p:

p subshells have 3 orbitals, yeah? You have 4 electrons to place and you want to avoid pairing them up, because there is a small energy cost in doing so (electrostatic repulsion). So, how many full orbitals are there in a 3p4 (ground state) configuration? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by EierVonSatan
No you're not :p:

p subshells have 3 orbitals, yeah? You have 4 electrons to place and you want to avoid pairing them up, because there is a small energy cost in doing so (electrostatic repulsion). So, how many full orbitals are there in a 3p4 (ground state) configuration? :smile:

Ah I see! Understood! Thanks for the help
Original post by haj1989
So the previous part of the question asks you to complete the electron configuration for an atom of Sulfur:

Easy enough: 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p4

It then asks how many full orbitals are in an atom of sulfur. So I know that an orbital holds up to a max of 2 electrons...so I thought the logical conclusion from the above configuration would be sulfur holding 8 full orbitals, but the mark scheme says 7....help! Don't understand that!

Thanks

So with orbitals, they pair up, as a last resort. Electrons like to be on their own. So 1S2 is 1 orbital, 2S2 is another, 2P6 is 3 pairs (so far 5 full orbitals), 3S2 is another (6 orbitals in total). Then we come onto 3P4. The P orbitals can hold a maximum of 6 electrons, so three pairs. So the first three electrons occupy the 3 orbitals on their own, but we have an electron left over, so that pairs up with one of the electrons, making up the 7 full orbitals. The atom has 2 orbitals with only 1 electron in. This is because this is the lowest energy configuration.
thank you so much really needed that!

Quick Reply

Latest