The Student Room Group

OMG not another Rippetoes blog!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by liftorrot
Hahah ^ ... I see.. I am doing the same too for now.. just applying heat whenever get the chance to...

Is it working?
from 2008 to 2012 your bench went from 57.5 - 85?
Original post by The_Blade
from 2008 to 2012 your bench went from 57.5 - 85?

Have you read much of my log?
Reply 1143
Whats your bench PR?
Original post by Smack
Have you read much of my log?

Theres 58 bloody pages!

Iv went to random numbers though.
Original post by Smack
Is it working?

Yea seems to be doing the job it definitely alleviates the pain ...
Dire session tonight. Back was in much pain and I couldn't even keep it flat so couldn't clean properly. Shoulders weren't in the mood to lift either and were very tight. Didn't spend long in the gym to realise that the session would be a write off so did some curls and band pull aparts and left.
Original post by Smack
Dire session tonight. Back was in much pain and I couldn't even keep it flat so couldn't clean properly. Shoulders weren't in the mood to lift either and were very tight. Didn't spend long in the gym to realise that the session would be a write off so did some curls and band pull aparts and left.

Will you go and get checked out? You're always in pain these days!
Original post by Becca
Will you go and get checked out? You're always in pain these days!

Yes, I'm going to make an appointment with the sports doctor.
Better session tonight. Also there was a few members of an olympic team in tonight too, doing circuits of curls with chrome dumbbells, a half overhead press with just the bar, sit ups with medicine balls and half press ups.

Press:

60 x 5/5/5/5/5

A 5x5 press PR and nothing excruciating either. Been a while since I've pressed without first cleaning it.

Power shrugs:

140 x 5
160 x 5
180 x 5

Pretty ****ty exercise if I don't say. Didn't really hit my traps like regular shrugs would, so I'm probably going to ditch them. Although at least shrugs are a back lift that I can actually do.

Skull crushers:

bar + 21 x 10/10/10/10/10

Got them all this time.

Home.
Reply 1150
Hey Smack,

Interesting log there, however you should take a break until you have your back checked.

I came across a similar training log in another forum long ago, a powerlifter training to achieve his 600 pound back squat. Everything went well until he experienced lower back pain, which he thinks it's just bad DOMS or a minor tear. He brushed it aside and kept on training with a lower volume week after week until one day the pain was unbearable. He decided to check himself into the Emergency Room and his next post revealed that he had been diagnosed with multiple herniated discs and needed surgery ASAP. After that, he have a choice to quit lifting forever or continue lifting and risk another back injury which could leave him paralyse or even dead.

Just saying that don't treat back pain as a walk in a park, get it checked out as soon as possible.

All the best,
Kev
Nother good session tonight.

Bench press:

85 x 5/5/5

Not too hard apart from last rep of each set ... probably due to the last rep phenomena where it will always feel hard, even if it goes up smoothly.

Incline dumbbell bench press:

24s x 6/6/6/8

Not too hard either. I'm starting low on these so I can work my way up. Wasn't sure where to start on these since I haven't done them for a while and benched first.

EZ bar Curls:

bar + 20 x 10/10/10/10/10

The EZ bar is definitely better for curls, even if it uses less biceps than the straight bar, because it's much more friendly on the wrists so you can get more work in without your writs and forearms burning up.

Also supersetted these with band pull aparts.
'The trick is not to over do the extra work since it isn't essential; what's essential is making progress on the big 5 lifts every workout. If begin to slow down on the main lifts, I'll cut out the extra work for a week.'

Yet you made little progress on bench? Whys that?
Another good session tonight.

Press:

62.5 x 5/5/5/5/5

Nothing excruciating here. Did feel myself leaning back a bit too much sometimes but nothing major.

Shrugs:

140 x 10/10/10

Okay.

Skull crushers:

bar + 22 x 10/10/10/10/10

Again nothing excruciating.
Reply 1154
nice pressing there shauny boy
Thanks bro. Be interesting to see how this transfers to my 1RM. When I did 78 I could barely do 5 with 60. My theory on the press is that it's something that needs lots of volume rather than a few reps at a high intensity.
Original post by Smack
Thanks bro. Be interesting to see how this transfers to my 1RM. When I did 78 I could barely do 5 with 60. My theory on the press is that it's something that needs lots of volume rather than a few reps at a high intensity.

i agree! mines only went up when i was either pressing more often or doing like 10-15 sets in one session.

60x5 equals a 67.5-70 1rm for me lol
Another good session tonight.

Front squats:

worked up to 100 x 2

These weren't hard on the legs but more the upper body, as always. But the good news is that they didn't hurt my back at all so if I can't do proper squats I can still do these.

Bench press:

47.5 x 5
57.5 x 5
67.5 x 5
77.5 x 5
87.5 x 5

Going to use the Madcow progression on these since it worked previously. I was getting the felling that the standard three-five sets of five was setting me up for stalling, as it has before. The last wasn't particularly hard either.

Incline dumbbell bench press:

28s x 6/6/8

Happy with this.
Meh session tonight. Knew the good run couldn't last.

Press:

65 x 5

Was meant to get five sets but the first set was such a struggle that I simply had nothing left for another rep. 65 for five is a PR though.

Deadlifts:

170 x 5

Tested the waters with these to see how my back is doing. It help up okay during the set, which wasn't all that hard, but afterwards it wasn't the best.

Went home.
Okay session tonight.

Bench press:

47.5 x 5
57.5 x 5
67.5 x 5
77.7 x 5
90 x 3
67.5 x 14

The 90 was harder than anticipated but I was also using a totally **** set up too. Last set was a burn-out.

Dips:

bodyweight x 8/8/5

Don't think I've lost anything on these to be honest.

Face pulls:

4 x 10

Home.

Quick Reply

Latest