The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by antonfigo
I'm hearing that we are going for Lloris?
Anyone following french league - how good is he?

I watch french international matches sometimes and he isn't anything special.
Not to judge him on a few matches though.

Mandanda is a very good goalkeeper. Lloris doesn't give him a sniff at getting into the national side.

The only reason he's not thought of as highly as say Joe Hart is the fact that he's only ever played in the French league.

EDIT: What I will say about this rumour is that I could see it happening; Lyon missed out on Champions League football this season, no fault of Lloris, his defence is rubbish, just as it is in the French National side. Second, if it happens, goodbye Szczęsny. He will not want to play second-fiddle to anyone.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by doggyfizzel
The fact you an Arsenal isn't worth anything, its adds nothing other than bias.

Because United haven't lost players. We haven't lost Ronaldo to Madrid. I don't see how he criticised the club, he's just disagreed how the club should move forward. He hasn't criticised the fans, thats just rubbish. He thanked the fans for supporting him over the years, thats the only time he mentioned them. Rooney got a bad reaction as he question the ambition of the club after 1 season, the season after which we then won the league. He blatantly was just wringing out a new deal anyway.

He doesn't owe you anything. Its ridiculous this concept of a player owing the club. They are employed by the club and has returned nearly 300 appearances in exchange for that. He's the 8th highest goal scorer in you clubs history. He earned his wages. His contract is ending and he's not signing as.

Ok like I said your not a arsenal fan. So you can't understand it fully

Your so naive to it you still believe what he says, it's the fact he's blatantly lied, and been so disrespectful to the club, I'm not wasting anymore time with you I saw you tried to compare it to Owen Hargreaves .....

Lol
This whole ambition marlakey is *******s - nasri didn't leave for ambition, nor did adebayor or a.cole, had they stayed with us and we had the same nuclues of players with our signings now we would be winning things... The temptation of money and lack of loyalty means everytime one of our players hasa good season they can **** off elsewhere how do you compete with that?
Reply 6723
RVP is his own man, and makes his own decisions. And if he wants to win trophies, and doesn't think he can do that here then fair play to him.

However. Its incredibly disrespectful to call out the manager who plucked you from nowhere, stuck by you when you spend 2/3rd of a season on the physio bench, and made you who you are today in such a public manner.
Take flamini oh yeah I'm leaving for ambition....guy can't even get on their bench but he signed a new deal.. Wait can't be how much they're paying him???? Nooaaa

Stop being so foolish rvp has played arsenal
(edited 11 years ago)
I can't see how some of you Arsenal fans can say this about RvP.

He clearly loves the club. He doesn't strike me as a guy driven by money (that's Nasri). He only seem's driven by winning things. If he thought he could win something with Arsenal, he would have signed a new contract. He is at the stage in his career where he has one big contract left in him. No-one is remembered for being loyal. They are only remembered for what they win.

I'm surprised his back hasn't broken this season. Carried your team into Europe, never mind Champions League.

You should be asking questions of the board/people in charge of the long term strategy of the club, not the players. Were you also like this with Fabregas too?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Alpharius

He clearly loves the club. He doesn't strike me as a guy driven by money (that's Nasri). He only seem's driven by winning things. If he thought he could win something with Arsenal, he would have signed a new contract. He is at the stage in his career where he has one big contract left in him. No-one is remembered for being loyal. They are only remembered for what they win.

I'm surprised his back hasn't broken this season. Carried your team into Europe, never mind Champions League.

You should be asking questions of the board/people in charge of the long term strategy of the club, not the players. Were you also like this with Fabregas too?

If he was loyal to arsenal he could have become a Club legend. he would have been remembered until arsenal ceased to exist.

I would finish but I'm on my phone So I'll edit it in later.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9000
Original post by Alpharius

h8ers 2 da left plz
Original post by jilebinator
If he was loyal to arsenal he could have become a Club legend. he would have been remembered until arsenal ceased to exist.

I would finish but I'm on my phone So I'll edit it in later.

Yeah, he'd have been remembered. For not winning anything.

Compare him to the other legendary Arsenal players, and the only thing he'll be remembered for is winning next to nothing. At least Fabregas will be remembered for taking Arsenal to a Champions League final...
Original post by Guerlain
I havn't got any problem with RVP's comments or his decision to leave.

He's made a personal statement directly to the fans explcitly explaining his reasons for wanting to leave (all of which are completely justified in my opinion), and whilst the timing might not have been quite right you can't fault that.

I also don't understand how anyone thinks he owes us anything. He can't control the fact that he's injured - and were it not for him last season we'd have been in a world of trouble. Arsenal currently have zero ambition, and given that he's right in the centre of it he's in a better position to see that than almost anyone else. Hell, if I played for Arsenal right now I'd be looking to leave.

Ultimately his loss will add to a growing list of incredibly talented players who through Arsenal's lack of forward progression and foresight have fallen out of love with the club. Fabregas has gone on to better things. Nasri has just won the Premier League.

It doesn't take much to imagine just how mind-crushingly good this team could be had more resources been made available to Wenger (assuming that they hadn't) and more impetus imparted on the side.

Arsenal don't lack ambition....They lack loyal and respectful players.

RVP claimed he had huge respect for us, the players and the manager. But by him making that statement, WE ARE FORCED INTO SELLING HIM.
If he saw out the remainder of his contract, and we hadn't done enough to convince him to stay, no one would have begrudged him leaving.

The **** also claims that we don't have what it takes to win titles BUT he would like to see us go back to our glory days. Is him leaving going to help us realise our potential???

IMHO, foreign players (some, not all) simply care about money. British players however (bar Ashley Cole) know about passion, loyalty and love for the game. Look at Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, Ferdinand etc...And one day, hopefully Wilshere :biggrin:
Reply 6730
Original post by Bear_Grylls
This whole ambition marlakey is *******s - nasri didn't leave for ambition, nor did adebayor or a.cole, had they stayed with us and we had the same nuclues of players with our signings now we would be winning things... The temptation of money and lack of loyalty means everytime one of our players hasa good season they can **** off elsewhere how do you compete with that?

To be honest, I'd say Henry would be a better comparison. It's the age that makes the difference for me: van Persie now is, just as Henry then was, at a stage where it would be doubtful he could last through a rebuilding process. Given the relative barrenness of his career, the former would be even more desperate for trophies - and in all honesty, you can see why he might think it would be a risk to hope for that at Arsenal at this period of time. Maybe I'm hoping for too much and giving van Persie too much credit when I'm saying this, but I don't think he would have left if he was, say, 25 or so (given that he had the same level of affection for the club).
My Aunt runs a Bakery in Southern France and has had quite a high profile Footballer come in and say in no certain terms that it's the last time he'll be in for a while as he's going to London.

I'll try and get any further details over the weekend.
Reply 6732
Original post by Dubstep Prince

RVP claimed he had huge respect for us, the players and the manager. But by him making that statement, WE ARE FORCED INTO SELLING HIM.
If he saw out the remainder of his contract, and we hadn't done enough to convince him to stay, no one would have begrudged him leaving.

The **** also claims that we don't have what it takes to win titles BUT he would like to see us go back to our glory days. Is him leaving going to help us realise our potential???

IMHO, foreign players (some, not all) simply care about money. British players however (bar Ashley Cole) know about passion, loyalty and love for the game. Look at Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, Ferdinand etc...And one day, hopefully Wilshere :biggrin:

You honestly think those players would have stayed at those clubs if they weren't successful/paid the going rate for their ability/reputation.

And Ashley Cole was perfectly entitled to be disgusted with the offer. He was and still is a world class player.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by DenmansDinner
My Aunt runs a Bakery in Southern France and has had quite a high profile Footballer come in and say in no certain terms that it's the last time he'll be in for a while as he's going to London.

Are you joking or is this for real? And how would your aunt know about footballers?!
Original post by DenmansDinner

Our second itk. (Or maybe the same with a different account)

Original post by Dubstep Prince

What you're saying is rubbish. Gerrard, liverpool high earner who was going to join chelsea a few seasons ago remember that, lampard, on over 100k and left west ham for chelsea because of the higher likelyhood of GETTING TROPHIES, terry, on 135k and at the time when he peaked couldn't have gone to any better club than chelsea(we were top in europe for the 03-08 period where terry was at his best), ferdinand, a united high earner.

Football is a job, you want to get something back for doing your job, whether it be respect from the people you're doing the job for(the fans), or employees of the month for being a great worker. Add to that you'd want money for that job.

You think olivier giroud is being loyal to montpellier by joining arsenal, you think he's getting less wages here than he is in france? It's ok to take their priced assets, but it's not ok for another club to take yours because it shows unloyalty, hypocrisy don't you think?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by jilebinator
Our second itk. (Or maybe the same with a different account)

Who's the other ITK? It's always GTK.
Reply 6737
Opta Sports ‏@OptaJoe
24 - Arsenal recovered the most points from losing positions in the 2011-12 Premier League. Comebacks
Reply 6738
Followed by:

Opta Sports ‏@OptaJoe
13 - Arsenal were debited with the most errors leading to goals, plus they netted 5 own goals. Masochism.

Balls. :facepalm2:
Original post by doggyfizzel
I saw the paper rumours but I never saw a bid or a manger's comment on him. That why I said they weren't in for him. I just had a look and I still can't find anything other than the rumour mill.

Giroud even said he doubts di matteo knew who he was. Chelsea wouldn't have gone for him.

Latest