The Student Room Group

Driving through red light?

Hello, i have driven through red light today, this is my first time, and i do not have an penalties on my liscense. heres what happened it was amber for quite a long while and i was driving norml speed (30mph) and just when it turned red i passed the traffic lights, literally about half a second, if that. i saw there are cameras fitted, but as far as im concerned no flashes were seen, do u think i will likely to get a notice for driving through red?

help
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You won't get any points or anything (unless there was a police car nearby who saw you), people do it all the time! Nothing to worry about :smile: x

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
PS. The "cameras" on traffic lights are usually just motion sensors that detect if there are cars there x

Reply 3
The camera usually measures the time difference between you moving through the red ATS and the ATS turning red no?
Reply 4
Sorry I seem to have got the wrong end of the stick with my advice - the traffic lights where I live don't have cameras on them! Sorry! X

im getting varied response, anyway do u, in your personal view think i will be penalised if i have crossed the line (traffic lights) quite literally about half a second (even less i suspect) after it went red? and again, no flashes were seen. im getting fairl worried now:frown:
Reply 6
Probably lose your licence :/ and your home.. Might as well get yourself on benefits now :frown:
Original post by sekret
Probably lose your licence :/ and your home.. Might as well get yourself on benefits now :frown:

good plan
I accidentally did something similar whilst learning and was scared silly for a while until my boyfriend pointed this out:

The things that look like little black cameras on top of traffic lights, are to monitor the traffic. Unless it was one of these that you went past, and it flashed, then you should be fine....

These are the ONLY type of red light cameras in the UK. If you didn't see one of these, or get a flash - you will be okay.

My boyfriend was once done for going through a red light but only because he went through it in front of a police car (yeah :rolleyes: I don't know how he didn't notice either...) that then pulled him over and booked him for it.

Know what it's like to stress over this. But as I say - unless you saw one of those and got a flash, you'll have gotten away with it. Just be careful not to do it again, and learn where the red light cameras are in your area!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
My point being, you're over reacting
Original post by Historiana
I accidentally did something similar whilst learning and was scared silly for a while until my boyfriend pointed this out:

The things that look like little black cameras on top of traffic lights, are to monitor the traffic. Unless it was one of these that you went past, and it flashed, then you should be fine....

These are the ONLY type of red light cameras in the UK. If you didn't see one of these, or get a flash - you will be okay.

My boyfriend was once done for going through a red light but only because he went through it in front of a police car (yeah :rolleyes: I don't know how he didn't notice either...) that then pulled him over and booked him for it.

Know what it's like to stress over this. But as I say - unless you saw one of those and got a flash, you'll have gotten away with it. Just be careful not to do it again, and learn where the red light cameras are in your area!

ah thanks, im sure the traffic light cameras werent as big as the one you've shown, it was more like this one http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.newstruth.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/no-traffic-lights.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.newstruth.co.uk/no-traffic-lights/&h=1200&w=800&sz=75&tbnid=hrfLecvM4wVkBM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=60&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dtraffic%2Blight%2Bcameras%2Buk%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=traffic+light+cameras+uk&usg=__ulau2nOZe_1aZ8n54pguFfYRRUM=&docid=homw_xnEZ65JHM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Kvv2T5nmDq2b1AXk3N2hBw&sqi=2&ved=0CG8Q9QEwBw&dur=0 - sorry its a long url, i dont know how to attach a pic. anyway do u thnk this is a sensor or a real camera?

Definitely a sensor. Fixed road cameras in the UK, are only like the one I've posted. I went through one of those on red, and never got anything. If you look close, there's no way it could flash so there's no way it could be a camera. Speed/red light cameras have to flash.
Original post by Historiana
Definitely a sensor. Fixed road cameras in the UK, are only like the one I've posted. I went through one of those on red, and never got anything. If you look close, there's no way it could flash so there's no way it could be a camera. Speed/red light cameras have to flash.

ah cool, thanks appreciate it :smile:
Reply 13
Its only a sensor to measure traffic
If you noticed that it had been on amber for a "quite a long time" why didn't you bother stopping?
Original post by sarahthegemini
If you noticed that it had been on amber for a "quite a long time" why didn't you bother stopping?

i dunno, its just one of those things that when you see amber you just want to go past the lights as quickly as possible before it goes red.
Reply 16
Lol i've done it twice now.

They were pedestrian crossing ones
Original post by Larissa White
i dunno, its just one of those things that when you see amber you just want to go past the lights as quickly as possible before it goes red.

Well yeah, but if it was amber for a long time then you know it's going to turn red at any second so regardless of whether you want too, you should slow down and prepare to stop :facepalm:
Original post by sarahthegemini
Well yeah, but if it was amber for a long time then you know it's going to turn red at any second so regardless of whether you want too, you should slow down and prepare to stop :facepalm:

yeah i guess your right, the roads were all clear, and i thought to myself, why not!
Reply 19
CAUGHT IN lONDON DOING 20 IN A 40 LIMIT WITH A LORRY FULL OF SHEET STEEL

I swear they reduced the amber time

Got 3 points and £30 it was then back in the 90s

Deliberately gone through 2 red lights - one flashed when moving safely forward for blue lighters - no NIP

They did what they usually do in those cases - look at what else got a flash = the blue lighter

Latest

Trending

Trending