The Student Room Group

The Martial Arts Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dr. Bassman
Not interested in wasting anymore of my time with you, just pointing out the unbelievable irony in you saying that, given that you did claim that judo was a ground-based MA.

Did i? , i thought i said it was a two-men-hugging-each-other-and-then-falling down-sport
Original post by Indo-Chinese Food
Did i? , i thought i said it was a two-men-hugging-each-other-and-then-falling down-sport

You did, I made a point of going on about it for ages, because it's not only hilarious, but it also adequately sums up your ignorance about fighting in general.
You did, I made a point of going on about it for ages, because it's not only hilarious, but it also adequately sums up your ignorance about fighting in general.

i think you are confused, i made the point that it is a grappling system, the idea of judo being to get the other guy on the floor. and from the clips einheri provided, that largly involves hugging and leaning on the other guy till he gets tired and needs to lie down.
That doesnt constitute a martial art in my eyes thanks.
i think you are confused, i made the point that it is a grappling system, the idea of judo being to get the other guy on the floor. and from the clips einheri provided, that largly involves hugging and leaning on the other guy till he gets tired and needs to lie down.
That doesnt constitute a martial art in my eyes thanks.

I'm not confused, I know what you said. The simple fact is that you didn't know what judo was. There's not really any way of you getting out of it and I know you're too stubborn to admit when you're wrong so you're basically going to continue to be your obnoxious, rude self until people stop posting. And it works!
I'm not confused, I know what you said. The simple fact is that you didn't know what judo was. There's not really any way of you getting out of it and I know you're too stubborn to admit when you're wrong so you're basically going to continue to be your obnoxious, rude self until people stop posting. And it works!

i have never seen any level of effectiveness of a standalone judo player on the ground, so there is no reason to call it a ground system. you clearly havent a grasp of what you are bitching about. The whole issue of judo being a sport is that it has little practicality outside a matted dojo, unless you combine it with proper JJ, wherein there is no point using judo. Im really not trying to get out of anything, you do judo and kickboxing, when you grow up you can move up to JJ and muay thai.
Reply 1585
i have never seen any level of effectiveness of a standalone judo player on the ground, so there is no reason to call it a ground system. you clearly havent a grasp of what you are bitching about. The whole issue of judo being a sport is that it has little practicality outside a matted dojo, unless you combine it with proper JJ, wherein there is no point using judo. Im really not trying to get out of anything, you do judo and kickboxing, when you grow up you can move up to JJ and muay thai.

Do you accept that Jiu-jitsu effectively no longer exists in Japan, and this was due to being proven to be combat ineffective against Judo?

Simple question - do you accept or reject that statement?
Japan is one place i have never actually trained in, but

http://www.roppokai-tokyo.com/

is a daito ryu school for one

which probably answeres your question

Im not saying bjj isnt now massively popular in japan too due to tv exposure and 'competition martial arts', as judo became in the 60s, I seriously dont have the inclination to give you a complete education about jiu jitsu, go and train yourself if you wish to learn, far better than farming the internet

but you probably arnt even aware of the japan open, in whcih straight JJ guys often compete against Bjj and all too (within tournemnt rules of course) currently run by Rickson gracie of my old school
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Clip
Do you accept that Jiu-jitsu effectively no longer exists in Japan, and this was due to being proven to be combat ineffective against Judo?

Simple question - do you accept or reject that statement?

Im not saying bjj isnt now massively popular in japan too due to tv exposure and 'competition martial arts', as judo became in the 60s, I seriously dont have the inclination to give you a complete education about jiu jitsu, go and train yourself if you wish to learn, far better than farming the internet

but you probably arnt even aware of the japan open, in whcih straight JJ guys often compete against Bjj and all too (within tournemnt rules of course) currently run by Rickson gracie of my old school
They annoy me. They certainly have no place giving out advice about martial arts

At some point every good fighter was a fanboy who wanted to try a sport they liked the look of.
Original post by TheJ0ker
At some point every good fighter was a fanboy who wanted to try a sport they liked the look of.

maybe 'fanboy' isnt the right word then.
annoying cage fighter wannabe ****ers
maybe 'fanboy' isnt the right word then.
annoying cage fighter wannabe ****ers

Yeah fair enough, I hate it when people call it cage fighting...
Reply 1591
So what arts does everyone actually train in ??

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Original post by kyleches
So what arts does everyone actually train in ??

I train in Freestyle Kung Fu, Kickboxing and Boxing. What about you?
Reply 1593
Cool!! I train Brazilian jiu jitsu, Traditional jiu jitsu, kick boxing and boxing :smile: where are you from ?

Reply 1594
What's free style kung fo ?? Have you competed !?
It's mainly Kung Fu but we use stuff from other martial arts disciplines like I do weapons training etc. And I'm from Newcastle, you?
Reply 1596

You're not making sense.

I asked if you accept that JJ effectively no longer exists. You didn't answer, you just posted a link.

Firstly, Daito-ryu is a tiny organisation.

Second, it's an aiki-jitsu and I'm sure there are aikido people willing to debate the point for 1000 years with you - but for all intents and purposes, daito-ryu and other aiki-jitsu have been subsumed by aikido.

Third, Daito-ryu was formed in the wake of Judo, one of those that rejected the training method and moved toward the ki stuff instead of randori.

This is not an example of JJ being alive and well in Japan.

I don't understand what you are saying here. Judo has been a competition sport since its inception. That was the whole point. Certainly it was a competitive sport in Kano's lifetime.

What are you actually trying to say?

but you probably arnt even aware of the japan open, in whcih straight JJ guys often compete against Bjj and all too (within tournemnt rules of course)

For the love of god - that's a BJJ competition and under BJJ rules. It is not in any way a Japanese Jujitsu competition, and any JJJ competitor entering would be fighting under BJJ rules and scoring.

...currently run by Rickson gracie of my old school

So you're a BJJ practitioner are you? This amazes me as I have yet to meet one that is:

-opposed to the UFC
-for traditional martial arts
-against judo

I think you've completely lost the plot, and can only assume that you are having a laugh and just trolling for no good reason. Nothing you say makes any sense and every insult you hurl might as well apply to yourself.

In a couple of months, you've gone from being the staunch defender of chinese death magic to extolling the virtues of BJJ. The only consistent lines you have are that you continually berate anyone you believe to be a "UFC fanboy" (unusual since the UFC is exactly the kind of format promoted by BJJ), and accusing people of having no practical knowledge - but simply surfing the net for information.

Well - that appears to be exactly what you are doing.

Would you like to share with everyone exactly what your BJJ experience is?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Clip
You're not making sense.

I asked if you accept that JJ effectively no longer exists. You didn't answer, you just posted a link.

Firstly, Daito-ryu is a tiny organisation.

Second, it's an aiki-jitsu and I'm sure there are aikido people willing to debate the point for 1000 years with you - but for all intents and purposes, daito-ryu and other aiki-jitsu have been subsumed by aikido.

Third, Daito-ryu was formed in the wake of Judo, one of those that rejected the training method and moved toward the ki stuff instead of randori.

This is not an example of JJ being alive and well in Japan.

I don't understand what you are saying here. Judo has been a competition sport since its inception. That was the whole point. Certainly it was a competitive sport in Kano's lifetime.

What are you actually trying to say?

For the love of god - that's a BJJ competition and under BJJ rules. It is not in any way a Japanese Jujitsu competition, and any JJJ competitor entering would be fighting under BJJ rules and scoring.

So you're a BJJ practitioner are you? This amazes me as I have yet to meet one that is:

-opposed to the UFC
-for traditional martial arts
-against judo

I think you've completely lost the plot, and can only assume that you are having a laugh and just trolling for no good reason. Nothing you say makes any sense and every insult you hurl might as well apply to yourself.

In a couple of months, you've gone from being the staunch defender of chinese death magic to extolling the virtues of BJJ. The only consistent lines you have are that you continually berate anyone you believe to be a "UFC fanboy" (unusual since the UFC is exactly the kind of format promoted by BJJ), and accusing people of having no practical knowledge - but simply surfing the net for information.

Well - that appears to be exactly what you are doing.

Would you like to share with everyone exactly what your BJJ experience is?

It took you 5 days trawling the internet to come up with this pile of turd reply? youd have been better off doing 5 days of training.

firstly Daito-ryu was not "formed in the wake of Judo" it originated entirely independantly as a new ryu of jiu jitsu. And it wasnt aikido either, which was created much later by a pupil of daito-ryu. So that basically kicked the crap out of your assertion that jiu jitsu doesnt exist anymore inside 3 minutes.
You can add to that all the generic ju jitsu classes around, that dont trace any specific lineage to any of the original ryus directly, but arnt taught in rubber octagons by retards in jockey shorts.

please clarify what you are on about regarding 'chinese death magic'

Again, japanese JJ open is a jiu jitsu competition hence the name, where brazilian style and japanese style purples and upwards compete. Stop me if im going too fast for you or using too much difficult terminology.
Are you seriously saying you dont understand the concept that before brazilian JJ even left south america, japanese ju jitsu prationers had their own rules based competions? :facepalm:

I never claimed to be a 'practioner' i said earlier in this thread i trained gracie jj in the US included live rolling.

now answer me a question - are you a genuine newbie simply trying to sound like you know bits and pieces about these topics, or are you a bit simple generally
Reply 1598
more insults

Ok. Truce.

Put all the insults and everything else aside for a moment. Start over.

What is it that you are trying to say?

There's no need to refer to the UFC or what you think of me or anything else. Also don't refer to any previous answers you have given. Just answer, if you would.

Let's keep this simple:

1. Do you believe in BJJ? Do you believe it is creditable?

2. Do you have a problem with Judo in the sense that you think it is flawed?

3. What are the styles/arts/sports (whichever title you prefer) that you consider yourself to be a practitioner of - and to what kind of experience?
Original post by Clip
Ok. Truce.

Put all the insults and everything else aside for a moment. Start over.

What is it that you are trying to say?

There's no need to refer to the UFC or what you think of me or anything else. Also don't refer to any previous answers you have given. Just answer, if you would.

Let's keep this simple:

1. Do you believe in BJJ? Do you believe it is creditable?

2. Do you have a problem with Judo in the sense that you think it is flawed?

3. What are the styles/arts/sports (whichever title you prefer) that you consider yourself to be a practitioner of - and to what kind of experience?

No insults, i answered the questions you had, try answering mine- are you a genuine noob with an interest in these topics or just an attention seeking troll ?

Quick Reply