The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sophieowl96
Thankyou so much for that, it has really helped me! This may sound a bit dim, but I need to make sure I have them correct, what is the difference between psychology, sociology and philosophy? :smile:

no problem, if you need any specifics on any of them then there are forums for all the subjects so you can ask in those if you have more questions :smile:
well, I didn't take any of them, but I think in general terms Psychology is the study of how the mind/brain works and behaviour (considered the more science-y one), Sociology is the study of how society works and social problems (it ties in with Politics quite often, social science) and Philosophy is to do with religion, existence and knowledge :smile:
Thankyou very much! Would you say it's worth studying Spanish as languages will look good to Universities?

Yes defo! Regardless what degree u do it will help & look good! I.e I want to do fashion, so I'll need my art & textiles but Spanish may make me stand it'd from the crowd in a tough industry. I mean I could work for Zara or mango, being ambitious but without the Spanish it wouldnt be possible

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
thankyou all for helping me so much!
Thankyou very much! Would you say it's worth studying Spanish as languages will look good to Universities?

definitely! Languages are in decline yet are so valuable so uni's will love it if you have an A-level in a language :smile:
Ahhh just found out that Chemistry in my college that im starting at in Sep is with OCR B eg Salters(!) :s-smilie: is it really as bad as people say???? I went to a taster day and had chem and I can already see it is going to be a struggle but i need it and find most of it super interesting .Super worried here!!!!!

I studied with that board, and I went to college not knowing anything about chemistry. But in all honesty, it's a really good syllabus and you will definitely enjoy it. The practicals are good fun, even the coursework in the second year is really good! It's all hard work, but, if you enjoy it, it's easy :smile:. You will definitely enjoy it!
Reply 3646
Hi guys, I need a little help here. I've currently chosen: Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and English Lit, and want to go on to do medicine at uni. While I'm completely happy with all my other choices, I'm second-gussing English and thinking of switching it out for Classical Civilisations. My careers guidance leader says that it honestly doesn't matter whether I do English or ClassCiv, but I can't help thinking that English is generally more respected than ClassCiv, and my parents agree with this.

I'd rather do ClassCiv than English; the subject appeals to me so much more, but I worry that with a relatively soft subject like Psychology, taking another subject that's seen as less rigorous than English, I won't be setting myself up well for uni. That's not to say that I don't like English Lit; I like it well enough to do it for A Level, it's just I know I would enjoy ClassCiv so much more, and the teachers for ClassCiv at our school are supposed to be some of the best around. At the moment I'm thinking that I'll just err on the safe side and take English Lit. Any other opinions/information/help that people can offer?
Original post by halidon
Hi guys, I need a little help here. I've currently chosen: Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and English Lit, and want to go on to do medicine at uni. While I'm completely happy with all my other choices, I'm second-gussing English and thinking of switching it out for Classical Civilisations. My careers guidance leader says that it honestly doesn't matter whether I do English or ClassCiv, but I can't help thinking that English is generally more respected than ClassCiv, and my parents agree with this.

I'd rather do ClassCiv than English; the subject appeals to me so much more, but I worry that with a relatively soft subject like Psychology, taking another subject that's seen as less rigorous than English, I won't be setting myself up well for uni. That's not to say that I don't like English Lit; I like it well enough to do it for A Level, it's just I know I would enjoy ClassCiv so much more, and the teachers for ClassCiv at our school are supposed to be some of the best around. At the moment I'm thinking that I'll just err on the safe side and take English Lit. Any other opinions/information/help that people can offer?

Do classical civilisations if you enjoy it more :smile: If you enjoy it more, you're more likely to get a good grade in it. Besides, you have biology and chemistry and as long as you have chemistry (and in some cases, biology), you should be fine to go into medicine :smile:
Original post by EnviroProtector
Ahhh just found out that Chemistry in my college that im starting at in Sep is with OCR B eg Salters(!) :s-smilie: is it really as bad as people say???? I went to a taster day and had chem and I can already see it is going to be a struggle but i need it and find most of it super interesting .Super worried here!!!!!

I think OCR B salters have a good course tbh. It is hard but it is very interesting and enjoyable :smile: There is really no need to worry :wink:
I'm really really stuck on where to go to college and what to do there, I've just left school (year 11) and I'm so worried now.

I have been accepted into:
Tonbridge Girls Grammar School (IB)
Tonbridge Wells Girls Grammar School (A Levels)
Weald of Kent Grammar School (A Levels)
Bexhill College (A Levels)
Eastbourne Park College (A Levels)
Lewes Sixth Form (A Levels)

Is it worth me travelling around an hour and a half every morning and evening, having to wake up before/around 6am and getting home around 6pm to go to a grammar sixth form to do the IB, or being able to go to a local college and study selected A-Levels of my choice?

I am also struggling with my option choices for A-level, which I seem to be leaning towards, and I am worrying about the ones I have made and thinking of changing:

I have currently chosen: History Modern, English Literature, Spanish and Psychology.
However, I am not sure on both the History and the Psychology.

Would History and English be too much essay writing as they are both very essay based. Would it benefit me to take Geography or History more?

I'm not too keen on psychology after my taster, I am thinking of sociology or philosophy, which would you recommend? Which do universities favour more? What does psychology actually entail?

I know Spanish is very useful and will look good, but is the end exam very hard? Obviously it will be hard, but is it extremely hard?

Thankyou very much for reading this and I look forward to seeing a reply.

Psychology is also an essay subject. I'd say history is more useful unless you're going into something practical or scientific. Sociology or to a lesser extent philosophy are seen as softer subjects so it's best to avoid doing more than one. I would say go to the local college to do the A levels that are right for you, as long as they cover the A levels you want there's no need to travel further afield :smile:
Original post by uannaka1996
Hi I'm going to take:

Maths
History
Economics

But I don't know what other subject I should take. It is either Physics or Further Maths.

I want to take either Computer Science or Economics in university so which one is the best? Please also bear in mind that the Physics department in the school I'm going to is reputed to be the worst in the school with the Maths department being the 2nd best and the History Department being 1st.

Take further maths - it'll be useful if you do economics :smile:
Original post by bluelezah
Hi!
I just finished year 11 and i'm thinking of what a levels to take next school year. I want to go to university and take a course in the field of business or economics. Currently, I'm thinking to take:

Maths
Biology
English lit.

I'm confused if i would choose RS or Business for a level.

What subject would be better for me to take???

Thank you!

Can you take economics? I found business was very easy and therefore not worth taking if you want to impress top unis.
Original post by Hillbilly101
I studied with that board, and I went to college not knowing anything about chemistry. But in all honesty, it's a really good syllabus and you will definitely enjoy it. The practicals are good fun, even the coursework in the second year is really good! It's all hard work, but, if you enjoy it, it's easy :smile:. You will definitely enjoy it!

Okay and yes I will put everything I have into it! Im more confident about it now, and I have already started to look over all the chemistry basics again :smile: THANKYOU

Original post by usycool1
I think OCR B salters have a good course tbh. It is hard but it is very interesting and enjoyable :smile: There is really no need to worry :wink:

Okay, thank you! Glad its going to be interesting - i have to say at the taster lesson, although it was challenging, it was really different to gcse :smile:THANKYOU again!:biggrin:

Hey guys i need your help. I want to study law at university but im not sure what to pick. What 4 should i pick out of Maths,Biology,Economics, Business studies, Accounting, Law,History

I only got a B in GCSE maths and would need three As at A level to get a place on a respected law degree.
So what should i pick?
Original post by chelseafan
Hey guys i need your help. I want to study law at university but im not sure what to pick. What 4 should i pick out of Maths,Biology,Economics, Business studies, Accounting, Law,History

I only got a B in GCSE maths and would need three As at A level to get a place on a respected law degree.
So what should i pick?

As far as I'm aware, most universities don't have any subject requirements for law so all of the subjects you have listed should be OK. I'd say pick the ones you enjoy the most as you're more likely to score highly on subjects which you enjoy. If you enjoy maths, take it but then be prepared to put in quite a lot of work as the step from GCSE to A-Level is quite big.

Good luck :smile:
So would Biology,History,Economics and law just for AS be good combo for law at uni?
Original post by chelseafan
So would Biology,History,Economics and law just for AS be good combo for law at uni?

Yeah, that should be fine :smile:
Hello everyone : hope everyone is good and well :smile: , please could I have an opinion on which is better out of AS economics or AS geography. In terms of better I mean which is easier in relation to workload and difficulty. The dilemma is that I didn't do gcse geography or gcse economics, but I want to pick one for AS. I have chosen science and maths for the other subjects: so would geography complement science as I want to do pharmacy or economics complement maths. I like both specifications and syllabuses , but which is easier for a higher mark : I do edexcel geography and aqa economics. Thank you everyone :biggrin:
Original post by EnviroProtector
Okay and yes I will put everything I have into it! Im more confident about it now, and I have already started to look over all the chemistry basics again :smile: THANKYOU

No problem! Hope it all goes well for you :smile:

Latest