The Student Room Group

Cambridge Chemistry Challenge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Theafricanlegend
I putting 0.1 but its not accepting it :frown:

Are you sure you looked that up right?
Does anyone have any past papers for the L6 paper other than the 2011 one? If so, could you please post a link? Thanks.
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Does anyone have any past papers for the L6 paper other than the 2011 one? If so, could you please post a link? Thanks.

Pretty sure it only started last year, sorry! :smile:

ugh silver is fudging annyoning, probably tried all combos

Have you got the list of the dates? I tried a couple of guesses at first, but when you look at the dates, you should notice that there are certain elements which HAVE to go in certain places, and from there you can slot in the others by inspection. :smile:
can anyone tellme if the area density of graphene is 0.77 mg/msquared is right?

That is correct. :smile:
uh oh roentgenium looks very hard!

I'll post some useful pointers, but only look at them if you get ultra stuck. :smile:

Molecule 1

Molecule 2

Molecule 3

yes? what is it? i cant find anything on methane in jupiter :frown:

I searched for the 'keywords' ie the element then the number into google, and a table comparing all the values including the required one popped up...
HINT/ complete giveaway: If you're still stuck... try tripling your original value...
edit: just read the other posts - thought you said 0.1... yh, no percent sign! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Oromis263
Pretty sure it only started last year, sorry! :smile:

Aha. that explains why my 2 hours of searching found nothing! oh well... thanks for preventing me wasting more of my time!
yeah haha after another hour or so i found the right percentage :biggrin:D , done silver and gold now on to the last bit! any help will be muchly appreciated, i thought the first molecule has 2 isomers the second has 15 and the third has 30 but its giving me the wrong answer any pointers??? id llove to finish this puzzle before school :biggrin:

Well, what I noticed was:

Small Clue

(edited 11 years ago)
qaww thats so good! what year are you? how are you so good? what did u use? thaanks!!

I'm year 13, and I just like puzzles. :smile: I used my brain and some Google really. Placed top 10 for UK, but I took part every month since it started this year. :smile:
Original post by Oromis263
I'm year 13, and I just like puzzles. :smile: I used my brain and some Google really. Placed top 10 for UK, but I took part every month since it started this year. :smile:

Could you post the area density for graphene please? Can't find a correct value anywhere! :smile:
Original post by dmccririck
Could you post the area density for graphene please? Can't find a correct value anywhere! :smile:

It was a tricky one to find actually, had a wee bit of help myself. :smile: I'll put it in expand as other people might not want to see it.

Graphene

(edited 11 years ago)
milligrams you mean?

Ah yes, my bad :smile: Cheers
yeah haha after another hour or so i found the right percentage :biggrin:D , done silver and gold now on to the last bit! any help will be muchly appreciated, i thought the first molecule has 2 isomers the second has 15 and the third has 30 but its giving me the wrong answer any pointers??? id llove to finish this puzzle before school :biggrin:

first molecule - 2 isomers (optical), third molecule - 30 isomers. correct.
Second molecule:There is one central atom and five other atoms (from group 7) bonded to it. This makes a trigonal bi-pyramidal structure. There are two atoms vertically bonded and three atoms horizontally bonded. Therefore, you could have, for example, F and Br vertically, and Cl, I and At horizontally. There are therefore 10 combinations in which the atoms can be bonded either vertically or horizontally (5C2). Look back at the first molecule, which had two optical isomers (reflections). Each combination of the second molecule would also have two isomers. Therefore the total number of isomers is...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 653
Did anyone do the Lower Sixth Exam today?
Myr 12s did it today, looked tough. Nice range of questions..... Please remember the usual rules on exam papers though (the paper is live till the 22nd).
Reply 655
how did everyone find the lower sixth exam today?
Yes but we're not allowed to discuss it yet :smile:
Reply 657
ohh oops sorry i forgot
I got a silver in the lower sixth exam event, found it rather hard. Did anyone else do it?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 659
Original post by david2457
I got a silver in the lower sixth exam event, found it rather hard. Did anyone else do it?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Ohh nice one! I got bronze in it, quite tough.

Quick Reply

Latest