The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by soup
Trainspotting doesn't have an original soundtrack and I love it.

They've done the same thing for Sucker Punch. Definitely gonna check that out later :yep:

Original post by Pi!
The Social Network.

Got that one too! If you liked that, check out the soundtrack for Hanna :h:

Original post by Falcon91
Finally got around to watching Chronicle, a bit of a let down imo. They could have played it out better and characters really didn't develop all that much right till the last 20 minutes.
Going to watch the Descendants next i think.

Agree with your statement about Chronicle. Though I did walk out of the descendants when we were showing it. Not my cuppa tea at all, though other people found it a really enjoyable film :sadnod:
Reply 7001
Original post by Deshi
It's been a long time coming but I'm finally going to watch True Grit tonight, have high expectations!

How did you like it? I love it, probably my favourite film from that year. :colondollar:
Reply 7002
I am about to go through a Wes Anderson film marathon. :smile:
Going to start off this event with watching Rushmore, my all time favorite Anderson film. :biggrin:
Reply 7003
Original post by aja89
How did you like it? I love it, probably my favourite film from that year. :colondollar:

Thought it was really good. Hard to believe that the main actress was only 13/14 when they made it, she was pretty good as were most of the cast. The cinematography was awesome as well. I thought the ending was't as good as it could be though, felt a bit....incomplete? Dunno.

Realised the main actress will be playing Juliet in another Romeo and Juliet film, would be interesting to see.

Tom Cruise's new film, Jack Reacher, looks awful.
Reply 7004
Original post by aja89
Not strictly film related but I just watched the first episode of The Newsroom and thought it was absolutely fantastic. The critics have been very unkind to it but I honestly was completely blown away. Of course it's not as good as The West Wing but it was still better than 99% of the crap we are given to watch nowadays.

I thought the first episode was quite promising but the second lost momentum - have you seen it yet?
It really does seem to have gained an overall negative reaction from critics but there are hints of brilliance.

Watched The Hurt Locker yesterday for the first time. I thought it was a good film, it's characters were really well fleshed out - but I think I was expecting a little more after all the hype it had at the time.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7005
Just watched the first episode of Undeclared, I know someone here likes Judd Apatow so was wondering what they thought of it if they'd seen it?

It's pretty old so some of the actors are pretty famous now, Jay Baruchel, Seth Rogen, Charlie Hunnam (it's weird seeing him in a comedy but he's done a good enough job) and Jason Segel come to mind.
Omg US Netflix :coma:

Why didn't I do this sooner?
Original post by pinkpenguin
Omg US Netflix :coma:

Why didn't I do this sooner?

How'd ya get to that?

I'm a few days into my trial and finding the selection of movies really disappointing (mostly cheap horror and direct to DVD stuff it recommends me).

Some of the TV is alright, watched all of Portlandia which I enjoyed and there are a few documentaries I intend to watch before I cancel the sub and try LoveFilm!
Original post by ManBeast
How'd ya get to that?

I'm a few days into my trial and finding the selection of movies really disappointing (mostly cheap horror and direct to DVD stuff it recommends me).

Some of the TV is alright, watched all of Portlandia which I enjoyed and there are a few documentaries I intend to watch before I cancel the sub and try LoveFilm!

http://unblock-us.com/

One week free trial then I think it's £3 a month.

Don't bother with LoveFilm. It sucks.
Reply 7009
Ended up watching Puss in Boots. Found it quite entertaining and funny.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 7010
Started watching LotR again this morning and I still don't get what it is the one ring actually does. I know what we are told it does but all it seems to do is turn people invisible and make them arsey.

Original post by Mess.
Started watching LotR again this morning and I still don't get what it is the one ring actually does. I know what we are told it does but all it seems to do is turn people invisible and make them arsey.

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne,
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all,
One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Original post by Mess.

Not entirely true if you watched the opening moments of the first film with Sauron wearing the ring and the prolonged extension of life that Bilbo and Gollum enjoyed. The main reason is because we've only seen it in the hands of relatively weak beings like Men or Hobbits. It really depends on the wearer. The film did omit a lot of the other effects of the Ring that would be accessible by Frodo though.

They chose to spend half the film with Frodo doing the sexface, sexually rubbing and orgasming over the Ring instead.
Reply 7013
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Not entirely true if you watched the opening moments of the first film with Sauron wearing the ring and the prolonged extension of life that Bilbo and Gollum enjoyed. The main reason is because we've only seen it in the hands of relatively weak beings like Men or Hobbits. It really depends on the wearer. The film did omit a lot of the other effects of the Ring that would be accessible by Frodo though.

They chose to spend half the film with Frodo doing the sexface, sexually rubbing and orgasming over the Ring instead.

I've read the books as well so I know what it's theoretically meant to do and obviously saw Sauron piss about with it. I just thought for a super all powerful ring it would actually do some other good things. I suppose the 'weak beings' thing negates the need to show the **** characters doing cool things.

In the film, why does Sauron disappear? I didn't think he would be invisible without the ring :confused: Been a while since I read the books of I've forgotten anything from there.

Original post by Deshi
Just watched the first episode of Undeclared, I know someone here likes Judd Apatow so was wondering what they thought of it if they'd seen it?

It's pretty old so some of the actors are pretty famous now, Jay Baruchel, Seth Rogen, Charlie Hunnam (it's weird seeing him in a comedy but he's done a good enough job) and Jason Segel come to mind.

I watched the first episode of this years ago and was fairly unimpressed. I'll watch it again though and watch the next few sometime becuase i'm a masssive fan of freaks and geeks.
Reply 7015
Original post by Mo-Amin
I thought the first episode was quite promising but the second lost momentum - have you seen it yet?
It really does seem to have gained an overall negative reaction from critics but there are hints of brilliance.

I think Sorkin displayed the adrenaline pumping micro drama of a newsroom in episode one and went all out with comic interaction between all the characters in episode two. I liked both very much and am predicting a more subtle mixture of the two extremes for the rest of the series. :smile:
Reply 7016
Original post by aja89
I think Sorkin displayed the adrenaline pumping micro drama of a newsroom in episode one and went all out with comic interaction between all the characters in episode two. I liked both very much and am predicting a more subtle mixture of the two extremes for the rest of the series. :smile:

I hope he does, we'll find out soon enough I guess.
I love your sig btw!
Reply 7017
Need a decent horror/thriller/both film to watch tonight, any suggestions please? Would be much appreciated.
Original post by Na-dia
Need a decent horror/thriller/both film to watch tonight, any suggestions please? Would be much appreciated.
Sixth Sense?
Reply 7019
Original post by PoGo HoPz
Sixth Sense?

Already seen it :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending