The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by suneilr
I'm having problems connecting to my home Wi-Fi. I can connect to the network with my Galaxy S2 and my Asus TF300T but I can't connect to the internet on either device. I've tried turning off the security on the network but that hasn't helped. I've tried rebooting the router but also no joy.
I can connect and use the wifi at work so I don't understand why it's not working on my home network :s-smilie:

Are they newly purchase ?
Reply 7701
Original post by olympus123456
Are they newly purchase ?

The Asus is new. I've had the S2 since November and it used to work properly but I haven't connected to the wifi in ages so I'm not sure when the problem started. It may have happened when I upgraded to ICS.
Original post by suneilr
The Asus is new. I've had the S2 since November and it used to work properly but I haven't connected to the wifi in ages so I'm not sure when the problem started. It may have happened when I upgraded to ICS.

I can say that ASUS have a problem with connecting to wi-fi. There are plenty of negative remarks related to their wifi issues.
Regarding your S2 try doing factory resetting.
Just joined the android club with my new s3 i got yesterday! battery life seems to be a problem, lol...
How do you guys last the day?
I'd turn GPS, bluetooth, Wi-fi and mobile data off too. I only turn them on when I need them.
Original post by + polarity -
I'd turn GPS, bluetooth, Wi-fi and mobile data off too. I only turn them on when I need them.

Same, thought I was the only one! #data,batteryandmoneysaver
Reply 7706
if any of you guys are on orange see if your entitle to special apps, I was entitled to deezer it basically allows me to download any album i like for free and listen to any track I want wherever I am, i'm not sure how much it is but it's a quality app
Original post by diggy
if any of you guys are on orange see if your entitle to special apps, I was entitled to deezer it basically allows me to download any album i like for free and listen to any track I want wherever I am, i'm not sure how much it is but it's a quality app

Sounds cool/like Grooveshark, I'll have a look :teeth:
Does Handcent SMS still rely on the stock messaging app, meaning I cannot delete it? I don't think the "keep messaging app in home memory" option in CM settings works with Handcent SMS, and I don't think my applock script is working either...
Original post by + polarity -

I turn GPS, bluetooth and wi-fi off when I don't need them, but mobile data is needed, no?
I've tried being very sensible. I'm never playing games on it and rarely on the any internet sites. I use whatsapp quite a bit I suppose but battery usage on the phone settings says its only taking 2%. I even changed my wallpapers to boring ones! I downloaded juice defender to help it too....

Yeah... still terrible battery life lol. Going to buy a spare battery and charger...
Original post by G8D
Mobile data isn't needed, no. It just gives you internet access when you're not on WiFi, so you can be selective with it.

thanks for the tips! but I'm a big whatsapp user so this is one thing I can't do.
I'll get used to the battery soon!! only had it for two days so far :smile:
Original post by suneilr
I'm having problems connecting to my home Wi-Fi. I can connect to the network with my Galaxy S2 and my Asus TF300T but I can't connect to the internet on either device. I've tried turning off the security on the network but that hasn't helped. I've tried rebooting the router but also no joy.
I can connect and use the wifi at work so I don't understand why it's not working on my home network :s-smilie:

Has anything changed on the router? Have you got a Linksys?
Reply 7712
Original post by wizard710
Has anything changed on the router? Have you got a Linksys?

It's a D-link DIR-615 running dd-wrt. I haven't changed any settings on it :s

I'm going to try giving the S2 a factory reset and see if that helps. No idea what to do about the Asus though. I bought the TF300T in the States, Could that be why the internet isn't working properly?

Hmm Just checked and they both work fine on my uni wireless. There must be something they don't like about my home network :s Both devices are running 4.0.3.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7713
Original post by yennibubs
thanks for the tips! but I'm a big whatsapp user so this is one thing I can't do.
I'll get used to the battery soon!! only had it for two days so far :smile:

When you say terrible battery life, how terrible is it? What kind of times are you getting between charges? Also bear in mind that as you have only had it for two days you may be using it more than you would usually use your phone, I know I do whenever I get a new piece of tech :tongue:
Original post by tface
When you say terrible battery life, how terrible is it? What kind of times are you getting between charges? Also bear in mind that as you have only had it for two days you may be using it more than you would usually use your phone, I know I do whenever I get a new piece of tech :tongue:

lol yeah that's what I was thinking as well. The first day was very quick because I was setting everything up to the way I like it, changing the settings, downloading apps etc, which is understandable.

But here is what I have done since I gotten over the fact that I have a new phone:
It would be fully charged at 100% by about 2am at night. (I can't keep it plugged in over night because my plug is ridiculously far from my bedside and I rely on it for alarm.) I take the plug out and it drops straight to 98% in a few seconds. At this point, gps, wifi, sound, bluetooth is already switched off, and I keep it off until I need whichever one. I wake up about 11am and it's at about 89%. I use my phone for whatsapp quite oftenly and a bit of internet (just browsing. no videos, no camera), as I would usually do with my other phones, and it'll desperately need a charge by 9pm.

Maybe that's normal lol. but I jumped from a blackberry to this, and the blackberry lasted 2 full days, so I just need to get used to it. I will order a spare battery so I don't need to worry every time I know I'll be out for ages.
(edited 11 years ago)
I don't like android I prefer iPhone

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 7716
lol yeah that's what I was thinking as well. The first day was very quick because I was setting everything up to the way I like it, changing the settings, downloading apps etc, which is understandable.

But here is what I have done since I gotten over the fact that I have a new phone:
It would be fully charged at 100% by about 2am at night. (I can't keep it plugged in over night because my plug is ridiculously far from my bedside and I rely on it for alarm.) I take the plug out and it drops straight to 98% in a few seconds. At this point, gps, wifi, sound, bluetooth is already switched off, and I keep it off until I need whichever one. I wake up about 11am and it's at about 89%. :s-smilie: I use my phone constantly for whatsapp and a bit of internet (just browsing. no videos, no camera), as I would usually do with my other phones, and it'll desperately need a charge by 9pm.

Maybe that's normal lol. but I jumped from a blackberry to this, and the blackberry lasted 2 full days, so I just need to get used to it. I will order a spare battery so I don't need to worry every time I know I'll be out for ages.

That sounds to me to be fairly normal. One thing you can do to save ten percent straight away - the alarm should go off when the phone is switched off. So unplug it from your charger at 2am, set the alarm (or have it recurring), switch the phone off. When it wakes you up, turn it on and have a full battery to start the day :smile: There are plenty of things you can do to save battery such as keeping the brightness low, turning off the aforementioned unnecessary features, reduce the time it takes for the screen to sleep after the last use. You could turn off automatic syncing of various things, and make sure that you don't leave loads of apps running in the background. Hope some of this helps :smile:
Reply 7717
Original post by Ahmed Sekmani
I don't like android I prefer iPhone

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

iPhone isn't an operating system, it's an overpriced piece of crap.
Original post by tface
That sounds to me to be fairly normal. One thing you can do to save ten percent straight away - the alarm should go off when the phone is switched off. So unplug it from your charger at 2am, set the alarm (or have it recurring), switch the phone off. When it wakes you up, turn it on and have a full battery to start the day :smile: There are plenty of things you can do to save battery such as keeping the brightness low, turning off the aforementioned unnecessary features, reduce the time it takes for the screen to sleep after the last use. You could turn off automatic syncing of various things, and make sure that you don't leave loads of apps running in the background. Hope some of this helps :smile:

Yep I've done everything else u have mentioned. Yeah I could switch it off actually, thanks. I usually keep it on because I use it to keep track of time when I wake during the night as well, so I never really thought of it as an option.
Overall still a bit annoying because I'm so used to phones that use less power, but I will get used to it!!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300
Reply 7719
Yep I've done everything else u have mentioned. Yeah I could switch it off actually, thanks. I usually keep it on because I use it to keep track of time when I wake during the night as well, so I never really thought of it as an option.
Overall still a bit annoying because I'm so used to phones that use less power, but I will get used to it!!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300

How are you finding your S3? (Aside from the battery life)

I liked it, but sold it and kept the H1X instead.

Latest

Trending

Trending