The Student Room Group

Worst advice your college gave you on the application process

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bleble360
Has anyone booked the imperial or ucl open day on wednesday 4th july for medicine and is not planning on going? Please if you aren't send me the booking details I really want to go, but only recently considered these two unis!

Also what are the chances of getting into a talk without a ticket for either uni (mainly imperial though!)?

Thanks!

Wrong thread...
Reply 21
Don't bother

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my MT15i
Reply 22
I'm not a medicine applicant, but my friend was told by my head of sixth:

1. That she shouldn't take History and Psychology alongside Biology and Chemistry because they'll only take you if you have all traditional sciences and maths.

2. Her GCSEs would be good enough for Cardiff's med school (4A*s) - when she went to the medwales conference in Cardiff a few months later, the admissions officer for Cardiff med specifically told her that they would not consider applicants with less than 6A*s.

And secondly, to b**** about our rubbish careers advisor, he told her she only had to take the UKCAT if she was applying to the top 10 med schools! (mix up with the LNAT there?? - you'd think so maybe, but a week later I asked him about taking the LNAT and he didn't know it existed, had to look it up and then advised me just to not apply to the unis that required it!) And then he offered to arrange her work exp. for her, told her it was going to be sorted, gave her a date etc. then a year later just before the supposed placement emailed that he's forgotten and would arrange it for the next year - meaning she couldn't apply in the 2012 cycle!
Original post by Hippokrates
So I think most of us would agree that college tutors don't know much about getting into medicine but they still give advice when truthfully they do't know what they are saying.

My best examples are when my tutor read through my personal statement and told me to remove everything about extracurriculars because apparently medical schools don't care about them and she said to talk about the subjects I was taking instead. I couldn't believe it! The teacher who teaches medical club also said that uni can't see any AS resits you've done this year (I was really angry at this point), then she goes on to say that you medical schools don't accept any resits in A2 year. I just went no you're wrong, It's very worrying that a teacher will give advice when they obviously don't know what they're saying is right.

I was told that applying to anywhere except the London unis and Oxbridge was a 'cop out' :grumble:
Reply 24
Original post by Hippokrates
remove everything about extracurriculars because apparently medical schools don't care about them and she said to talk about the subjects I was taking instead.

This! All of my teachers are insisting I put a lengthy paragraph in about their subject and what I've learned; at most I'll devote a sentence or two between the four! Then I sound stuck up saying "It's different for a medical application" :frown:
Failing my Alevels meant I would never have a chance to do medicine or get a decent degree hmmm I'll keep my 2:1 thanks
Reply 26
Original post by dances_with_lamposts
Not from a college tutor but my boss once said I'd never get into medicine because I only have a grade c in gcse maths. Proved him wrong, and it felt sooo good! :smile:

When I was younger, teachers always discouraged me from wanting to do medicine because "you need straight A's to do that". I've heard of so many rumours from teachers, it's a shame cos it probably puts off a lot of potentially good students. Luckily, when it came to actually deciding I wanted to go for it and apply, I found all the information myself so no dodgy info to trip me up.

what were your other gcses,i'm just asking because i only have a grade C in maths.Was the rest of your application AMAZING
Original post by H011y94
I'm not a medicine applicant, but my friend was told by my head of sixth:

1. That she shouldn't take History and Psychology alongside Biology and Chemistry because they'll only take you if you have all traditional sciences and maths.

2. Her GCSEs would be good enough for Cardiff's med school (4A*s) - when she went to the medwales conference in Cardiff a few months later, the admissions officer for Cardiff med specifically told her that they would not consider applicants with less than 6A*s.

And secondly, to b**** about our rubbish careers advisor, he told her she only had to take the UKCAT if she was applying to the top 10 med schools! (mix up with the LNAT there?? - you'd think so maybe, but a week later I asked him about taking the LNAT and he didn't know it existed, had to look it up and then advised me just to not apply to the unis that required it!) And then he offered to arrange her work exp. for her, told her it was going to be sorted, gave her a date etc. then a year later just before the supposed placement emailed that he's forgotten and would arrange it for the next year - meaning she couldn't apply in the 2012 cycle!

Your head of sixth: :lol:

And I'm pretty sure that the LNAT's for law; not medicine.
Original post by diggy
what were your other gcses,i'm just asking because i only have a grade C in maths.Was the rest of your application AMAZING

Haha, no. I'm a graduate entry student so my gcse's and A levels aren't so relevant. I got 2 D's at A level. 2 B's, 2 D's and loads of C's at gcse. I think the jist of my story is not to listen to people when they try to tell you what grades you need, do the research yourself and you'll be fine. :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by thegodofgod
Your head of sixth: :lol:

And I'm pretty sure that the LNAT's for law; not medicine.

I knew that :wink: I was never going to be a med applicant, initially wanted to do Law, but decided I loved English Lit too much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending