The Student Room Group

Cambridge Chemistry Challenge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by david2457
I got a silver in the lower sixth exam event, found it rather hard. Did anyone else do it?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Well done. It was VERY hard, only 8% of people got more than 30/60!

My school netted 3 copper out of our 4 students.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 661
I don't even know what I got. Probably 0/60 :frown:

Edit: Just went to my teacher, I got Copper :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 662
Is the order copper, bronze, silver, gold and roentgenium?
Original post by Mallika
I don't even know what I got. Probably 0/60 :frown:

Edit: Just went to my teacher, I got Copper :frown:

Why are you sad about placing in the top 60% of a group that represent the brightest Chemistry A-level students in your year?

And there is no "bronze". Just Cu,Ag,Au,Rg.
Reply 664
Original post by gingerbreadman85
Why are you sad about placing in the top 60% of a group that represent the brightest Chemistry A-level students in your year?

And there is no "bronze". Just Cu,Ag,Au,Rg.

I'm not that dissappointed (I was happy I got anything really) but my teacher was quite dissappoined in me, I guess that's why! When you put it that way, it sounds much better :tongue:

Oh okay, thank you! I thought so too, but the two posters above mentioned bronze so I assumed it must have been included:colondollar:
I got a gold :biggrin:
Reply 666
Original post by Natalie21

That's amazing. Well done! :biggrin:
Original post by Mallika
I'm not that dissappointed (I was happy I got anything really) but my teacher was quite dissappoined in me, I guess that's why! When you put it that way, it sounds much better :tongue:

Oh okay, thank you! I thought so too, but the two posters above mentioned bronze so I assumed it must have been included:colondollar:

I've got a B grade student that got nothing, and a student that got 100% in the Jan exam that only got a bronze. I was pleased that they'd volunteered to take the paper and anything else is a bonus!
Original post by Natalie21

Congrats, top 8%!

Really good work!
Original post by Mallika
That's amazing. Well done! :biggrin:

Congrats, top 8%!

Really good work!

Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 670
I've got a B grade student that got nothing, and a student that got 100% in the Jan exam that only got a bronze. I was pleased that they'd volunteered to take the paper and anything else is a bonus!

I wish my teacher had the same thinking as you! You seem like a very supportive teacher :colondollar:
The exam was a good learning exercise and I did find it fun, so all's well :smile:
I got a silver. I felt quite unhappy about a lot of the mathematical questions since I don't take maths for AS and I didn't understand anything about log or some of the other questions and I haven't really had to do a lot of difficult maths in a while... I think that's where I dropped a lot of the marks.

Having said that I actually enjoyed the structure and hydrolysis questions, apparently that's where I got a lot of my marks :smile:
Whilst it IS supposed to be a "challenge", one of the comments from the organisers was "We will prepare a guide to accompany the questions in the near future which will provide further background and ways to approach the questions" so i think they picked up on this somewhat. logs is in A2 Chemistry so you'll meet that eventually.
I had done logs in AS maths and I still didn't understand that question :P
Reply 674
Only heard of this competition today - obviously too late now! Just a little disappointed that my chemistry teachers hadn't mentioned it - when I want to do chemistry at uni!
Original post by extons
Only heard of this competition today - obviously too late now! Just a little disappointed that my chemistry teachers hadn't mentioned it - when I want to do chemistry at uni!

Get them to sign up on the website, they'll get a reminder next year.
www.c3l6.com

Knowing what a log is, and being able to use it in context, is the difference between pure maths and physics or chemistry :smile:
I know it's a lower sixth paper, but do the rules state that you aren't allowed to take it if you're in Upper Sixth? Didn't actually hear about it until after the deadline.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
When you're in the Upper 6th, you can do the Chemistry Olympiad:
http://www.rsc.org/Education/events-and-competitions/Olympiad/
I got 25.5/60. Anyone know what a gold was?
final_results_graph2012.png
Copper - 15
Silver - 24
Gold - 31
Roentgenium - 43

:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest