The Student Room Group

Medicine in Milan, Italy - International Medical School

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi and thanks for your highly relevant posts!

I am a mature 2nd year medical student wishing to transfer to MIMED and have with few questions:

-Since I did my A levels years ago my question is: how long should one start revising for the exam?

-any particular method you'd advise to use for the test preparation?

-what was your study schedule for the test?

-which book did you use for IMAT preparation?

Thanks a lot for your help!:smile:
Reply 21
Original post by Cotroni

I am a mature 2nd year medical student wishing to transfer to MIMED and have with few questions:

-Since I did my A levels years ago my question is: how long should one start revising for the exam?

oupsss...question one I meant, when should one start preparing for the test?

and how many questins did you do as part of your revision process?

did you review the theory first as a mature sutdent, for refreshing? or did you jump strqight into the questions?

thanks!
Reply 22
Original post by Cotroni

My advice would be to do as much as you can, and start quite early since the syllabus is large.

What I did (I did chem, bio, double maths to a-level and economics to AS, followed by medical related sciences up till an msc in immunology, so a lot of my prev work was relevant...)

I studied for about 2 months before the exam to recap a-level chemistry, and try self-teach myself a-level physics (obviously not really possible). I'd recommend you study the sciences - they do come up, and for the physics section a lot of mechanics questions came up.

Then, I studied as many bmat/gamsat etc questions as i could find. BMAT is very similar to IMAT, and so any bmat book and practice should be relevant for the IMAT.

As for schedule - it was all hail-mary for me, as I thought I remembered my chemistry. It was too late, and self-teaching myself physics was too much haha ^^;; but remember - try and keep thing medically relevant if possible. e.g. em spectrum questions are far less relevant for medical physics, and so many medical physics questions came up.
Hey :smile:

I just found this thread, and I am interested in the International Medical School in Milan too. I have a few questions, which I was wondering whether anyone could answer:

1. For 2013 entry, when do you need to take the IMAT?
2. Where can I find more information about applying to uni in Italy- like how to make an application, and the standard procedures etc.?
3. How competitive is it for a place on the medicine programme?
4. What are the entry requirements other than IMAT?

Thanks for your help (in advance)
Reply 24
Original post by miss-medicine
Hey :smile:

I just found this thread, and I am interested in the International Medical School in Milan too. I have a few questions, which I was wondering whether anyone could answer:

1. For 2013 entry, when do you need to take the IMAT?
2. Where can I find more information about applying to uni in Italy- like how to make an application, and the standard procedures etc.?
3. How competitive is it for a place on the medicine programme?
4. What are the entry requirements other than IMAT?

Thanks for your help (in advance)

Hey,

1) for 2013 entry, you would be taking the exam next year (I assume for the academic year 2013/14)
2) For standard "applying to uni" questions and the likes, the italian consulate has an educations officer. However, do not expect prompt replies...
3) Competition is relative. there were ~600 eu students registered to take the IMAT for 30 places... but relatively, I would still say that it is Very "doable". On top of this, from this september there will be 50 eu spots, and 10 non-eu.
4) IMAT is what you need - and some kind of certificate/school letter to certify that you've been in full-time education for 13 years (i.e. letter from your secondary/sixth form college, and GCSE/A-level exam scripts should suffice - marks do not matter)

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by shinwave
-

Hi shinwave, can you tell me which solicitor you used to get the copies of your certificates verified and where you got them translated into italian? thanks
Am I correct in thinking that provided you have taken A-levels, the grades and subjects are irrelevant, and entry is based solely upon the IMAT? Also, do they require any sort of proof of you being able to speak Italian? Thanks for your help in advance :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by AiB
Hi shinwave, can you tell me which solicitor you used to get the copies of your certificates verified and where you got them translated into italian? thanks

Sorry but I dont know which solicitor - it really doesnt matter, as every solicitors office should be able to provide you with this service in about 15 minutes!

Translations - I got them done in Italy, so I doubt it'd be vey useful. There are tons of them out there - my friends all used different translators (quick google search) and it was fine!
Reply 28
Original post by LilithSternin
Am I correct in thinking that provided you have taken A-levels, the grades and subjects are irrelevant, and entry is based solely upon the IMAT? Also, do they require any sort of proof of you being able to speak Italian? Thanks for your help in advance :smile:

Yes - based solely on IMAT. They have a link on mimed.it to the assessment page by Cambridge assessments with a few practice questions, and a layout of what to expect.

The Italian thing is a little more tricky - it was mentioned previously, but Im not sure whether it is a pre-requisite yet. Sorry for not being helpful on this matter :redface:
Original post by shinwave
Yes - based solely on IMAT. They have a link on mimed.it to the assessment page by Cambridge assessments with a few practice questions, and a layout of what to expect.

The Italian thing is a little more tricky - it was mentioned previously, but Im not sure whether it is a pre-requisite yet. Sorry for not being helpful on this matter :redface:

Hi shinwave :smile: I was wondering what the curriculum at milan is like. Is it Integrated, Traditional or Integrated?
Reply 30
Original post by PiercingGlint".
Hi shinwave :smile: I was wondering what the curriculum at milan is like. Is it Integrated, Traditional or Integrated?

The course is traditional for the first 2 years - with a focus on the science, but then switches - in the third year we start rounds. i.e, early!
Reply 31
Original post by PiercingGlint".

Ah btw, not sure whether this is part of your traditional v integrated aspect, but our year group is now signing up to do ER rounds - half a day or night, shadowing a doctor in the ER/A&E department.

Albeit first years, and not in Italian, my year goup are saying that this has been excellent, and not just "passive", like when you are shadowing a doctor back in the uk.
Thank you for your help shinwave! :smile:
Reply 33
Yo shinwave, can you tell me how many people applied for the non-EU places last year? :smile: I cannot decide between Pavia, Rome and Milan at the moment. It would be horrible to fail in Milan, while I could get a place at Pavia or Rome.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by ringro
Yo shinwave, can you tell me how many people applied for the non-EU places last year? :smile: I cannot decide between Pavia, Rome and Milan at the moment. It would be horrible to fail in Milan, while I could get a place at Pavia or Rome.

Im not sure about numbers, but i know that it was very few indeed. I think that may be a reason why they've reduced non-eu intake to just 10 this time around - but it was Very few (like 40-50?) for the 20 places
Reply 35
I'd love to apply here, my only concern is financing it. I've heard it's next to impossible to get a student loan in italy and student finance here won't even speak to me about it. Any tips?
Reply 36
Original post by Caolan
I'd love to apply here, my only concern is financing it. I've heard it's next to impossible to get a student loan in italy and student finance here won't even speak to me about it. Any tips?

Indeed, getting your hands on a loan is nigh on impossible - I'm afraid I don't know of any plans to circumvent this.

On the upside, It is nowhere near as expensive as England, so financing it will be a lot easier.
Other ways in which I have saved money is by being miserly, not living in central milan but on the outskirts, and not going out to bars every other night... the usual common sense approach really. Sorry for not being very helpful, but the reality of what I have encountered is that you will be dependent on your family. My family is Definitely not well-to-do, and so if I can manage to finance things, I'm fairly positive anybody else should be able to as well.
Reply 37
Hello!
thank you for the post-very useful!
i just have another question.... can one only apply to 1 medical school or to several?
thank you!
Hi shinwave, thanks again for answering my previous questions, and sorry for making a nuisance of myself here! You mentioned earlier maximum tuition fees of 3200 euros-is that per installment? Also, was it very difficult to find accomodation in Milan on such short notice? Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 39
ER: As far as I know - No, you can only apply to one university. This was the case last year, where we had to choose between Pavia and Milan at the door to the exam (for those who applied to both!).

Lilith: First instalment was a fixed 800 euros, followed by a second instalment, which was a Maximum of 3200.
The accommodation wasn't that hard to find on such short notice - there are rooms available, but it depends on what price range really. Most people should be housed after 2-3 weeks really - I myself stayed in a hostel till then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending