The Student Room Group

*** Dentistry 2013 Applications ***

Scroll to see replies

Right, does anyone know which universities don't care how much work experience you've done? I know Newcastle wants at least 14 days, but that's all I know :frown: I might only have a couple of days work experience by the time I apply, so need to have a sort through of the unis :smile:
Reply 101
Original post by rawragee
Right, does anyone know which universities don't care how much work experience you've done? I know Newcastle wants at least 14 days, but that's all I know :frown: I might only have a couple of days work experience by the time I apply, so need to have a sort through of the unis :smile:

Is there no way of getting much more? You could right you were doing more work experience in the October half term after your application is in

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Re: schools that don't need work experience, not trying to be negative, I'd really try and get some more, my understanding is most schools want to see that you know what you are letting yourself in for. A week is ok if you can talk it through with the interview panel. I did 2 weeks.
Original post by StudentonTSR
KCL don't care how much work experience you have.

thank you :smile:

Original post by Pert
Is there no way of getting much more? You could right you were doing more work experience in the October half term after your application is in

Original post by thebruciebonus
Re: schools that don't need work experience, not trying to be negative, I'd really try and get some more, my understanding is most schools want to see that you know what you are letting yourself in for. A week is ok if you can talk it through with the interview panel. I did 2 weeks.

Not really, well not for definite. I'm fairly limited due to surroundings and age, I'm just preparing for the worst! as in, only having a couple of days of it.
Don't worry about it! If you can get a good picture of how dentistry works in those days it will show.

Theres loads of great advice in other posts on here, havent read it all but i'd say /add / repeat...:

Ask about NHS 2006 contract, new contract that is supposedly coming in based on capitation and quality, their thoughts on it. Ask about provision of treatment, Fluorides, Composite vs amalgam, dentures, implants, all that basic stuff.

Also know what is happening at your dental school of choice too - they often have a home page with info on what is happening there, though this varies

Tell them about your interests as they will ask you. If you play piano say to what standard, have you done any performances / just for pleasure and so on. I remember I talked about it in my interview when they asked me ,since i play piano too. They were more interested in that than the dental stuff! though it varies uni to uni i'm sure
Reply 105
I'll be applying *touch wood*
Is anyone going to the Birmingham open day tomorrow?
Hey everyone! Im currently studing Dentistry at the University of Bristol, I've jus finished my first yr. I applied for Dentistry in 2010 and I didn't get in :frown:....but then I re-applied and in 2011 I got in :smile:
I have had interviews at Bristol, Birmingham and Manchester. Please feel free to contact me I am willing to help anyone who asks for it. I know how hard it is to get into Dentistry, if anyone needs advice on interviews, personal statement, UKCAT stuff, work expereince etc please dont hesitate to contact me.

Good Luck guys!
Reply 107
Hello everybody. I'm hoping (really hoping) to apply for the foundation courses. I didn't take Biology so that has restricted me :tongue: Still I hope I've got a good enough excuse for not taking it because I'm guessing that is what they will be interested in.

Anyone else going this route?

Last thing, best of luck with the application everybody :wink:
Hi I just wanted to know which unis take 3rd year applicants for dentistry? I don't know what to do since I did really bad in my first year due to family commitments which resulted in me resitting my AS year..

Reply 109
Original post by bubblegum94
Hi I just wanted to know which unis take 3rd year applicants for dentistry? I don't know what to do since I did really bad in my first year due to family commitments which resulted in me resitting my AS year..

Not really sure, they tend to say you can't retake a year, but with circumstances, who knows. Try contacting the universities

Reply 110
Today I watched the dentist in a private practice put dental implants into a patient ... was definitely a privilege to observe!
Liverpool, Plymouth, Aberdeen & KCL.
Reply 112
Anyone knows what UKCAT sccores do i need and in which universities is the UKCAT important?
I'm from Greece and the UKCAT is making my life difficult!:angry:

applying for KLC, Glasgow, Aberdeen and Manchester.
Reply 113
Is canvas painting sufficient to demonstrate manual dexterity, or is it better to have something which involves 3D work e.g. model making.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 114
Original post by inspiron1
Is canvas painting sufficient to demonstrate manual dexterity, or is it better to have something which involves 3D work e.g. model making.

I don't honk there's is actually that much emphasis put on the manual dexterity, most that I see to last year said hey can teach you it no problem.

Is it sufficient to say that the lab work done in your current degree is enough to show manual dexterity?
I'm wondering whether to mention my dissertation for manual dexterity...it was basically involving injecting maggots with varying concentrations of drugs. It involved setting up this quite tricky piece of equipment involving fitting a syringe needle to catheter tubing, it was quite fiddly. Also injecting maggots was quite difficult for some people.

What do people think? In my view it you had to have good manual dexterity for it, but it's a matter of showing that in the personal statement...
Original post by EcclesReece
I'm wondering whether to mention my dissertation for manual dexterity...it was basically involving injecting maggots with varying concentrations of drugs. It involved setting up this quite tricky piece of equipment involving fitting a syringe needle to catheter tubing, it was quite fiddly. Also injecting maggots was quite difficult for some people.

What do people think? In my view it you had to have good manual dexterity for it, but it's a matter of showing that in the personal statement...

You could mention this yes. I wouldn't go into the detail that you were injecting maggots, there is no need to be that specific. You could say something along the lines of "the laboratory work I undertook for my dissertation which required administering injections developed my manual dexterity and hand-eye co-ordination; both of which are skills necessary for a practicing Dentist".

Edit: Why have I been negged for this piece of advice? If you have a problem or see something wrong with what I've said, quote me.
(edited 11 years ago)
Ahh thanks, great advice :smile:
I have no idea about being negged, it certainly wasn't me!

Hi,

just some background: my names Natasha, I'm 17 and i'm in year 12...just beginning my university applications.

At gcse i got 5 A*s, 4 As and 1 B... currently awaiting AS predictions and results (hopefully all As!)

Anyway my top choice is glasgow university, I am about 99.9% sure I want to take a gap year...however Glasgow doesn't accept deferred entry.

This scares me as I won't have a guaranteed place and will have to apply on the year (2013)..

I was thinking, could I apply this year, see if I get a place:
- so if i DO, I know I have enough to be accepted the next year (hopefully), I would then reject this, and then apply AGAIN in 2013..
-but if i DON'T, then I would improve my skills etc from the gap year anyway and hopefully get accepted the next year

sorry if this is really confusing by the way...so would that be allowed-to apply twice after rejecting the offer the first time? or should i just apply deferred entry for 4 choices not including glasgow this year and then apply glasgow next year?

basically im a really confused girl, so if you can help me in anyway i would greatly appreciate it!!

Quick Reply

Latest