The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rural_boy
Guys, out of interest, who would you say the best running back in the NFL is?

If he can return to his prior level of performance it has to be AP no doubt.

In all honesty there are far too many great guys to have a clear cut number 1.

LeSean McCoy, Steven Jackson, MJD, Marshawn Lynch, Ray Rice, Arian Foster, Chris Johnson, Darren McFadden, DeMarco Murray, Jamaal Charles, Frank Gore.

All those guys can claim to be elite. That's why RBs are not highly valued anymore. Great RBs are a dime a dozen. Thats 12 guys considered elite, there at least another 8 or 9 very good backs as well.

Apart from AP, out of the guys I named, I would have to say the best are McCoy, Lynch, MJD and Foster. DeMarco is a 2nd year player so can definitely join that group soon. If CJ2K can bounce back this year (he still got 1000 yards in what was considered a terrible year for him) then he is up there with AP.
Agreed. A great running game alone doesn't win like it used to. It's a passing league, the pats' regular season stats in everything but their passing offense wouldn't indicate a SB finalist worthy team, but they were. Teams generally prefer to have multiple backs together in packages nowadays. Most of them above have at some point been in a 2/3 back system - MJD with Fred Taylor, CJ2K with Lendale White, Lynch with Fred Jackson in Buffalo, and Seattle tried it with Leon Washington, McFadden and Michael Bush, Charles and Thomas Jones etc etc

St Louis probably should've just traded Jackson ages ago to any team wanting him for picks. They wouldn't likely find a guy as good, but they could probably get 1/2 decent backs, which is all you need if you focus on the pass. At least they could've improved their D if they didn't find a good QB in the draft with those picks. Herschel Walker was the best RB Trade ever though in the late 80s kickstarted Dallas' success and the Ricky Williams trade, though he was one of my favourite players, set the Phins back a few years when he went all out for him. Maybe in a passing league, if you draft well, more teams should try trading them away. There are still those out there who value running backs disproportionately highly. Thankfully with Sparano's exit and Philbin coming in, the Dolphins are no longer one of them.
anybody here involved in/follows BAFANL/BUAFL?
Original post by nevergohalfpace

I'm hoping to join a BUAFL team when I go to uni in September and I think a couple of guys on here play as well!

Why dude?
Original post by rural_boy
I'm hoping to join a BUAFL team when I go to uni in September and I think a couple of guys on here play as well!

Why dude?

I play BAFANL atm, choosing a uni that has to be semi decent at football aha. and just wonderin how many people in TSR actually play/coach?

I played BUAFL last year. Not carrying it on though because I'd rather put the joining/insurance fee towards a football season ticket. Was good fun though.
I play BAFANL atm, choosing a uni that has to be semi decent at football aha.

You know that's kind of a terrible idea right?
Original post by The Troll Toll
You know that's kind of a terrible idea right?

Probably, but I've moved house recently so moved schools half way through my AS year :L And moving again this September so probably got get not amazing grades anyway. If my exams pan out Hertfordshire is my #1 choice and Solent #2. If I fluke it and do well its the good Southampton :P
american football becoming a BUCS sport next academic year XD
Love American football! Will probably join the university team in Sep. Not sure on which position to be though. I'm 5ft 8" and about 68kg. Any ideas? I was thinking WR like Wes Welker/Steve Smith/Mike Thomas

Anyone going to Wembley this year for the Rams & Patriots game?
I'm a Cardinals fan and I'll be going with a 49ers fan and Patriots fan. It is going to kill me to cheer for the Pats in that game, but obviously I don't have an alternative.
Cheer for Rams :wink: There's no allocated fan seats right? lol. If you think about it, there'll be so many people supporting different NFL teams (obviously the Patriots will be the favourites due to the you know what link). I can't wait for it. Bloody expensive though!
Original post by RedWhiteA
Cheer for Rams :wink: There's no allocated fan seats right? lol. If you think about it, there'll be so many people supporting different NFL teams (obviously the Patriots will be the favourites due to the you know what link). I can't wait for it. Bloody expensive though!

Haha! The is no way I would ever, ever, cheer for the Rams. The very thought makes me shudder.

We got the lower sideline seats again;yes, very expensive!

I just hope we don't get seated next to a prawn sandwich eating Pats fan again. Last time they were over the woman next to us insisted that we shouldn't have been booing. Obviously she'd never been to a football game before! :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC One X
Probably, but I've moved house recently so moved schools half way through my AS year :L And moving again this September so probably got get not amazing grades anyway. If my exams pan out Hertfordshire is my #1 choice and Solent #2. If I fluke it and do well its the good Southampton :P

Good Southampton >>>> Solent both on the pitch and off
Love American football! Will probably join the university team in Sep. Not sure on which position to be though. I'm 5ft 8" and about 68kg. Any ideas? I was thinking WR like Wes Welker/Steve Smith/Mike Thomas

Anyone going to Wembley this year for the Rams & Patriots game?

Option WR sounds good. They might use you as an option running back too.

And yeah I'm going. Gunna be SOOO ace.
(obviously the Patriots will be the favourites due to the you know what link)

As a Patriots fan from Boston (USA) I have to wonder, what is the link? Is it because the region they represent is called New England?
Original post by WhyteBoar
Haha! The is no way I would ever, ever, cheer for the Rams. The very thought makes me shudder.

We got the lower sideline seats again;yes, very expensive!

I just hope we don't get seated next to a prawn sandwich eating Pats fan again. Last time they were over the woman next to us insisted that we shouldn't have been booing. Obviously she'd never been to a football game before! :smile:

Either team at Wembley you don't want to cheer for! Lower side seats?! How?? That's good.
Shouldn't be booing? That's part of the game. Rivalry etc. Makes it exciting!

Original post by The Patriot
Option WR sounds good. They might use you as an option running back too.

And yeah I'm going. Gunna be SOOO ace.

Thanks for the position ideas :smile:
Awesome! Who are you going to be cheering for?

Original post by I Kant Spall
As a Patriots fan from Boston (USA) I have to wonder, what is the link? Is it because the region they represent is called New England?

Yeah because the Patriots have 'England' in their name, a lot of British/English fans tend to support. Its like representing their country almost. Just like supporting your local team :smile: The Patriots are a good team either way. I like them a lot
Is there a TSR league this year?
Original post by paddy__power
Is there a TSR league this year?

I was going to ask the same thing - I'm keen.
Yeah because the Patriots have 'England' in their name, a lot of British/English fans tend to support. Its like representing their country almost. Just like supporting your local team :smile: The Patriots are a good team either way. I like them a lot

I sincerely hope the Rams have the majority of support. Surely only Pats fans will want them to win. If you don't support the Pats you hate them, right?

Latest