The Student Room Group

Retaking subjects that I don't get A* in at GCSE

Hello
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
What school do you go to now? And what do you want to do at A-Level? Finally, what are your predicted grades? Personally, I would not advise retaking all the subjects you don't get A*s in. It is a lot more work.

For Tiffin, you will need at least A's in the core subjects and A's, preferably A*'s, in the subjects you wish to take for A-Level. Regarding the Bio, Chem and Physics tests, I would not retake them yet. You may get A* in Unit 2 and 3 which will bring the overall grade to an A*. Also, the ISA count for a large part of the final GCSE grade and they are relatively easy.

Also, the application to Tiffin would be on the basis of your predicted grades not actual grades. So, if you get an offer you will need to meet that.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by p_b
Well, I go to Herschel Grammar School now and at A-Level I would like to do Maths, Further Maths, Economics, and Spanish, and I am not sure would I would drop for A2. And for these subjects my predicted grades are:

English Lang+Lit-A/A*
Maths-A/A*
Biology-A/A*
Chemistry-A/A*
Physics-A
History-A
Economics-A/B
Spanish-A*
RS-A/B
Food Tech-A

[I don't want to be too optimistic at this moment]
These are what my teachers have told me at this moment but obviously the results I get in August would change these. But yeah Tiffins would require my year 10 report, but if my grades aren't as good here but they are better in my actual exams, what would I do?

If they are better, you have no problem. If you do not achieve an A*, it would depend on the school itself. Does it have an interview process or an aptitude test?
Reply 3
Original post by p_b
It has an interview process from what I have researched

Provided your interview goes well, exceptions can sometimes be made at schools such as Tiffins. Of course, you'd want to get the best grades possible but keep in mind that a string of A*s is not the be all and end all. I would recommend thinking about whatever other qualities or interests you have and presenting them to the school whenever you have a chance to show your aptitude.
Reply 4
Well, I don't think that there is anything you could do. That is why the end of Year 10 tests are important. If you do retake, the problem is that you will have more work to do and this may bring down your grades overall.

I would concentrate on getting A* in Maths, as you want to do Further Maths, Economics and Spanish. Your grades, so far, look more than enough to get into Tiffin: 5A* and 5A. I believe the offers are usually limited to A grades. I would just say that you should work on personal statement, interview and try your best in every test so you don't have to retake.

Tiffin does not only look at grades. They want people with passion for the subjects they are studying and knowledge outside of the curriculum. So, you need to display this in the interviews. Also, show that you have other interest sans academia. They would be looking for a 'well-rounded' person.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by p_b
Hello =]
Okay so I really want to go to Tiffins Girls School for Sixth Form, and I want to stand out and meet their requirements. I recently just took 8 exams with the 9th tomorrow, and I was thinking, would it be wise to retake everything I didn't get A* in? I'm in year 10 at the moment and these are the subjects I take:
English Lang+Lit
Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
History
Economics
Spanish
RS
Food Tech

So realistically I probably won't get A* in Economics, RS and Food Tech so those three subjects are ruled out. But if I don't get A* in Bio, Chem, Physics, in these unit 1 exams, should I retake them in January alongside my unit 2's just so I have a strong set of GCSE's? Please advise me loool.
Thanks

If I were you, I wouldn't think once of retaking your GCSEs regardless of what you get. These are not A levels; concentrate on them as they matter far more than the number of A*s you have at GCSE.

I think the college will still accept you even if you don't have straight A*s
Why is this in News & Current Affairs?
Original post by p_b
Well, I go to Herschel Grammar School now and at A-Level I would like to do Maths, Further Maths, Economics, and Spanish, and I am not sure would I would drop for A2. And for these subjects my predicted grades are:

English Lang+Lit-A/A*
Maths-A/A*
Biology-A/A*
Chemistry-A/A*
Physics-A
History-A
Economics-A/B
Spanish-A*
RS-A/B
Food Tech-A

[I don't want to be too optimistic at this moment]
These are what my teachers have told me at this moment but obviously the results I get in August would change these. But yeah Tiffins would require my year 10 report, but if my grades aren't as good here but they are better in my actual exams, what would I do?

a third nicely disguised brag my gcse results and do i have the grades to go to xxx uni/sixthform post of the week. USE THE DAMN SEARCH FUNCTION... ITS THERE FOR A REASON.

Edit: why the **** is this in the news section?! Your not on mah telly.

/Rant Over basic features of TSR.
This is not news.
It is news, for the OP
Original post by Quantaˌ
What school do you go to now? And what do you want to do at A-Level? Finally, what are your predicted grades? Personally, I would not advise retaking all the subjects you don't get A*s in. It is a lot more work.

For Tiffin, you will need at least A's in the core subjects and A's, preferably A*'s, in the subjects you wish to take for A-Level. Regarding the Bio, Chem and Physics tests, I would not retake them yet. You may get A* in Unit 2 and 3 which will bring the overall grade to an A*. Also, the ISA count for a large part of the final GCSE grade and they are relatively easy.

Also, the application to Tiffin would be on the basis of your predicted grades not actual grades. So, if you get an offer you will need to meet that.

Original post by ANARCHY__
Provided your interview goes well, exceptions can sometimes be made at schools such as Tiffins. Of course, you'd want to get the best grades possible but keep in mind that a string of A*s is not the be all and end all. I would recommend thinking about whatever other qualities or interests you have and presenting them to the school whenever you have a chance to show your aptitude.

You guys going there? :biggrin:
Reply 11
There's no point in retaking your GCSEs even if you don't get into Tiffins it's not the end of the world; with A levels it's more to do with the work you are willing to put in not the sixth form you go to.

Also one of the only reasons Tiffins gets such good grades is that they kick anybody out who looks like they are going to get Bs in two of there subjects.
Original post by blueray

I am no longer in secondary education.
Reply 13
Original post by blueray

Are you? Personally, I might.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Quantaˌ
Are you? Personally, I might.

same :biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by blueray
same :biggrin:

Out of interest, what school do you go to?
Original post by Quantaˌ
Out of interest, what school do you go to?

Pm me, wbu?
Reply 17
Original post by blueray
Pm me, wbu?

Sure.
Reply 18
No, that will look crap because Uni's will be able to see that. Unless you were ill or got WAY lower than expected there is really no point.

Quick Reply

Latest