The Student Room Group

Learning Spanish during a gap year? How easy/difficult?

I don't know any other languages, but I've been thinking of learning Spanish for a while. I got a D in GCSE French (didn't try and didn't particularly like it, but like many, we had to pick something). I was thinking, what's the best way of going about learning Spanish, and how much do you reckon I could learn? I'd be retaking 2 papers max, and possibly self teach Maths GCSE higher as I was never given the opportunity to obtain higher than a grade C.

Would you self teach, or find an evening course? or something like that?
Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by ilovecatsforlife
I don't know any other languages, but I've been thinking of learning Spanish for a while. I got a D in GCSE French (didn't try and didn't particularly like it, but like many, we had to pick something). I was thinking, what's the best way of going about learning Spanish, and how much do you reckon I could learn? I'd be retaking 2 papers max, and possibly self teach Maths GCSE higher as I was never given the opportunity to obtain higher than a grade C.

Would you self teach, or find an evening course? or something like that?
Thanks

Depends how you go about learning vocab etc.
Reply 2
I'm planning on doing the same, just started my gap year, but I haven't really made much progress yet, just being lazy :rolleyes:

I'm planning on self-learning, buying a couple of books, and then using the vast resources on the net, as well as possibly torrenting some stuff to help out. Also, I've found an evening class nearby which I'd like to enrol in, even though I get the feeling it'd be really basic stuff which hopefully I would have already been through myself, so it'd be like revision.
How do you go about starting? Do you learn how the tenses work, copy and read out vocab and listen to tapes that come with the books?

Which books have you got?
Bump ^ Languages doesn't seem to be very active atm lol
Reply 5
I haven't started yet, but I just ordered this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Talk-Spanish-Grammar-Susan-Dunnett/dp/1406652369/ref=pd_sim_b_2

It looks like it's got the stuff in it the way I want to learn (basics, as well as more grammar), its cheap and it has pretty good reviews. I'll let you know how it goes when I get it:h:
Reply 6
It depends how you do it.

I know somebody who did volunteering in Argentina, where they speak Spanish. She had no previous knowledge of the language, although she had studied French which probably would have helped her a bit, and after around 4 months she could speak it with ease.

Obviously the longer you go for the more fluent you would become.

I think if you were to try to teach yourself though, it would take a lot longer and be a lot harder.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending