The Student Room Group

Circumcision ban is the 'worst attack on Jews since Holocaust'

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Its sad that every time Germany is mentioned the war is mentioned.
Reply 21
Original post by Agenda Suicide
Okay, I think you're completely missing the point? I'm aware of the law, it's the principle? Surely you don't think there's an issue of tattooing babies?

Do people take everything so literally lol?

Why would a parent want to get a tattoo done on their child in the first place?

With regards to circumcision in Islam:

The main reason given for the ritual is cleanliness. It is essential that every Muslim washes before praying. It is important that no urine is left on the body.

Muslims believe the removal of the foreksin makes it easier to keep the penis clean because urine can't get trapped there.

Some Muslims see circumcision as a preventive measure against infection and diseases.

However essentially, we must remember that circumcision is not compulsory in Islam but it is an important ritual aimed at improving cleanliness. It is strongly encouraged but not enforced.

At least the reasons for circumcising are positive, what would be the reasons for a child getting a tattoo (hypothetically)?
Reply 22
Just because some people are ok with having being circumcised at birth, it doesn't make it an ok thing to do. It's not a direct attack at Jewish people, it just affects the majority of them. /yawn
The people that throw around the bull**** about the 'health benefits' of circumcision disgust me.

Partly for their views on the issue (the ones that talk about it preventing AIDS are fantastic. That's working out so well in Africa, the continent with the highest rates of circumcision), but more so because they evidently do not wash their genitalia.

And that's more gross than any personal aesthetic preference.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by sukee
Why would a parent want to get a tattoo done on their child in the first place?

With regards to circumcision in Islam:

The main reason given for the ritual is cleanliness. It is essential that every Muslim washes before praying. It is important that no urine is left on the body.

Muslims believe the removal of the foreksin makes it easier to keep the penis clean because urine can't get trapped there.

Some Muslims see circumcision as a preventive measure against infection and diseases.

However essentially, we must remember that circumcision is not compulsory in Islam but it is an important ritual aimed at improving cleanliness. It is strongly encouraged but not enforced.

At least the reasons for circumcising are positive, what would be the reasons for a child getting a tattoo (hypothetically)?

I'll be honest, I'm pretty sure urine doesn't get caught under my foreskin, otherwise everytime I moved I'd be a little wet.

But it's not, it cuts out so many nerves from the penis and in my opinion is merely an aim to reduce sexual desire.

It's just the principle, it's a life effecting decision that could be made and be irreversible. The benefit of cleanliness isn't really that convincing to be honest, I am uncircumcised and I am pretty sure I am not unhygenic.

And for arguments sake, for a religious symbol and belief or to make the child look better.
Reply 25
Probably because of things like this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2109965/Two-week-old-baby-died-herpes-contracted-disease-circumcision.html

it's probably happened a lot before, babies haven't died from it but its still not right.
Reply 26
If this is the worst thing that's happened since then, they've had a comfortable 60 years or so.
Reply 27
I'll be honest, I'm pretty sure urine doesn't get caught under my foreskin, otherwise everytime I moved I'd be a little wet.

But it's not, it cuts out so many nerves from the penis and in my opinion is merely an aim to reduce sexual desire.

It's just the principle, it's a life effecting decision that could be made and be irreversible. The benefit of cleanliness isn't really that convincing to be honest, I am uncircumcised and I am pretty sure I am not unhygenic.

And for arguments sake, for a religious symbol and belief or to make the child look better.

Since cleanliness is 50% of the Islamic faith, circumcision is a preventative measure to ensure you're clean for prayer etc. I don't think anyone implied that uncircumcised people are unhygienic. With regards to affecting my life, I can't think of any physical or psychological effects that circumcision has had on my life, I guess an added bonus of the procedure means I don't have to worry about having a potential right foreskin etc.
Reply 28
I don't understand the argument that its "cleaner" surely you could just..clean..your penis.
Reply 29
I literally lol'd at this headline. Gotta love hyperbole.
Reply 30
Original post by boba
I don't understand the argument that its "cleaner" surely you could just..clean..your penis.

Do you realise how difficult that is with a foreskin?! I mean, for starters it can't all be done one-handed. Has to be two just to pull the thing back (probably can be done with one but I imagine that'd look weird). You've then got to wash it. THEN you've got to pull the foreskin back, (as otherwise it'd be a bit weird again).

You ask a lot from us men, y'know. Tssk.
Why the HELL do people talk about consent? I was circumcised at a young age and I didn't give consent, however I do not remember it or the pain associated with it (as with most men circumcised at a young age).

This is another attack on Islam (niqab ban, headscarf banned in schools, halal meat to be banned, public prayers to be banned). Whoever is denying Islam is being attacked from all corners is deluded.
Reply 32
Original post by IgorYakov
Probably because of things like this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2109965/Two-week-old-baby-died-herpes-contracted-disease-circumcision.html

it's probably happened a lot before, babies haven't died from it but its still not right.

In our family, circumcisions are usually carried out in a clinic or hospital. The circumciser is not required to be a Muslim but he must be medically trained.

With regards to the article, I can see what the problem was in the first few paragraphs; the method in which the circumcision was being done. I'm unsure of the Jewish method of circumcision, but why did the rabbi suck the blood from the wound with his mouth? It's not a very effective cross-infection preventative measure now, is it. I think if circumcision is to be done, it should be carried out in a sterile manner, reducing the chances of any cross-infection.
Original post by . .
Surely they have parents consent though.

that's not an argument for this...otherwise you could say that if a parent beats up their child "they had the parent's consent for it" which is nonsense. I see no reason why cutting off the foreskin should be any less frowned upon than taking it upon oneself to cut off any other part of the child's body unnecessarily.
Haven't most of those been debunked?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090501005837AAtaIzv

Top answer pretty much puts that website to shame.

The NHS has a more neutral view on things:
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Circumcision/Pages/Advantages-and-disadvantages.aspx
That's disgusting that they'd actually mask the human right to choose what happens to your body with the holocaust. Shame on them. If they'd prefer a gas chamber, then let them do that.
Reply 36

The link said that circumcision helps to prevent HIV/AIDs, and lists "women's sexual preference". Come on, do you really believe the first and think the second is an actual valid point?

The rest I cannot specifically comment on, although I have reason to call shenanigans. I can't find the bloody videos that I'm looking for >.<
Reply 37
Original post by boba

No one said it's cleaner. We are rather saying that it's easier to clean it.
Since the foreskin creates a second layer, it's much more likely for urine to be left and dry out between the layers, hence making muslim men ritually unclean. Muslims cannot pray in this state. To be frank, I have yet to hear about someone who complains about being circumsised and claims that it has affected his life in any way. Infact, I can't tell you how frequently I hear people saying "Why the hell would I miss it, it's just a bit of foreskin".

I'm not suprised this issue comes from Germany. They are known for their intolerance to other cultures and religions.
Original post by Giggy88
No one said it's cleaner. We are rather saying that it's easier to clean it.
Since the foreskin creates a second layer, it's much more likely for urine to be left and dry out between the layers, hence making muslim men ritually unclean. Muslims cannot pray in this state. To be frank, I have yet to hear about someone who complains about being circumsised and claims that it has affected his life in any way. Infact, I can't tell you how frequently I hear people saying "Why the hell would I miss it, it's just a bit of foreskin".

I'm not suprised this issue comes from Germany. They are known for their intolerance to other cultures and religions.

Woah woah woah, where the hell did you get THAT from? Please don't refer to the holocaust in your answer, or you're officially a grade A moron.

Also lol at the irony of your comment juxtaposed with the fact that you have Germany's flag as your flag on TSR :rofl:
Reply 39
Original post by Bobo1234
Woah woah woah, where the hell did you get THAT from? Please don't refer to the holocaust in your answer, or you're officially a grade A moron.

There is some truth in it, I've experience it from peers on my course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending