The Student Room Group

River Island recruitment day/interview, HELP?

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know how long it took them to get an interview? Ive applied for a fee days now and i still havent had a reply:frown:
Reply 101
got an interview on Monday at the river-island in Birmingham? was just wondering if anyone's had one at Birmingham?! and what to expect?, what they look for?! and if its ok if i wear, my nike high-top blazers, chinos, hollister shirt and a white top underneath?! thanks:biggrin:
Reply 102
Original post by paradise95
Does anyone know how long it took them to get an interview? Ive applied for a fee days now and i still havent had a reply:frown:

2 days ish.
I worked at River Island during Christmas.
You should just wear what you would normally wear as they ask questions about how your personal style reflects your personality.
Also they ask you questions about customer service, and you design the ideal River Island sales assistant.

The job was boring, but worth the money.
It is like slave labour, but £4.98 an hour for me a 16 year old was great.
I wouldn't recommend more than 12 hours as it does get repetitive, but it is a worthwhile job
Reply 104
I've got an interview tomorrow too eek! I'm planning on wearing this top http://www.riverisland.com/Online/women/blouses--shirts/shirts/brown-sleeveless-dip-hem-shirt-619706 with either black slim trousers or skinny jeans (if I can find any that fit properly atm) with black pumps...would that be overly smart?
I've been working in an office for the past year and just been buying casual smart clothes (put on a few pounds and now jeans are tight) -_-
Reply 105
Original post by xwardax
I've got an interview tomorrow too eek! I'm planning on wearing this top http://www.riverisland.com/Online/women/blouses--shirts/shirts/brown-sleeveless-dip-hem-shirt-619706 with either black slim trousers or skinny jeans (if I can find any that fit properly atm) with black pumps...would that be overly smart?
I've been working in an office for the past year and just been buying casual smart clothes (put on a few pounds and now jeans are tight) -_-

That seems fine! :smile:

Does anyone who work at River Island know if it's possible to apply for another vacancy? There's an open vacancy for Mon-Fri 2-6pm which wouldn't interfere with my other contracted hours, and as I would like to quit my second job and love working at RI I'd prefer to add on those hours.

Planning to ask my manager tomorrow when I'm working but figured someone here might know
Reply 106
Original post by xwardax

Hey, just wondering how you got on?
I have an interview on the 16th and wonder if you can add any more intel to the expansive set on TSR? :wink:
Hope you've got it, I'm terrified of how many will be there with me for a measly 8hours! :redface:
Original post by natnat16
Hey, just wondering how you got on?
I have an interview on the 16th and wonder if you can add any more intel to the expansive set on TSR? :wink:
Hope you've got it, I'm terrified of how many will be there with me for a measly 8hours! :redface:

Mine's tomorrow at two thirty pm. I'm totally bricking it; I don't really know an incredible amount about fashion, but I'd love to work at RI.
Original post by sunny_m1
got an interview on Monday at the river-island in Birmingham? was just wondering if anyone's had one at Birmingham?! and what to expect?, what they look for?! and if its ok if i wear, my nike high-top blazers, chinos, hollister shirt and a white top underneath?! thanks:biggrin:

Sounds like a fashion train-wreck.
Reply 109
Original post by ConstantlyStressed
Mine's tomorrow at two thirty pm. I'm totally bricking it; I don't really know an incredible amount about fashion, but I'd love to work at RI.

Where is yours at? and best of luck :biggrin:
I don't either and we are between seasons at the minute, all the A/W '12 is coming out so it'll be hit and miss whether they ask you S/S or A/W :/

hope all goes well for you
Reply 110
Anyone worried about a 1-2-1, I have always always been told at school and when you do practice interviews etc that these are the main contenders in an interview scenario (I admit, some are unnecessary for the RI job but for future reference and whatnot):

DON'T BE AFRAID TO SELL YOURSELF, EVERYONE ELSE IS DOING IT!

1- Do you occasionally get bored while doing detailed work?
2- Do you like to do analytical tasks?
3- What methods do you use for controlling error in your paperwork?
4- Do you get bored or lose interest in doing the same tasks over and over again?
5- When you tend to do your best work, in the morning or in the afternoon?
6- What is the longest hours you have ever worked?
7- Have you ever worked alone or without supervision?
8- Do you think you are an innovative person? and why do you think so?
9- Have you ever broken some company rules?

10- Have you ever done any foolish things?
11- Tell me an instance when you worked hard and felt proud of you achievement?
12- Can you name a few things that motivate you in your job?
13- What were your reasons for leaving your last job?

14- Describe the worst boss you ever worked for?
15- Why did you choose this particular carrer?
16- What areas of your job and carrer do you like most?
17- Are you sensitive to criticism?
18- We all feel frustrated or angry at times. Have you ever resigned in frustration?
19- Under what working conditions do you produce your best results? (under pressure!!)

20- Have you ever lost your temper at work?
21- Do you classify yourself as a hard-driving or relatively laid-back personality?
22- There probably were some times when you were not satisfied with your performance. What have you done about it?
23- How do you manage to attend interviews while still employed?
24- What are you feelings about working for a large company like ours?

25- What is your attitude towards working in a small company such as this one?
26- Do you make your opinion knows if you point of view differ from that of your superiors?
27- If you had to characterize yourself in one sentence, what would you say?

28- What types of people annoy you?
29- Do you prefer working alone or being of a team?
30- What 3 positive and negative words would your friends and colleagues use to describe you? (Ive been asked this for retail and waitressing work)
31 - Tell me a time when you've gone out of your way to help someone
32 - Tell me a time you have received positive feedback about yourself

also, as a list of RI pro's and con's
affordable, unique and ever changing
no student discount, cannot check stock of local stores online, cannot order to be delivered to local store

for any retail opportunity I hope this helps
Original post by natnat16
Where is yours at? and best of luck :biggrin:
I don't either and we are between seasons at the minute, all the A/W '12 is coming out so it'll be hit and miss whether they ask you S/S or A/W :/

hope all goes well for you

Mine's at Cardiff..should be fun! I know - it's so bad it took me a couple of minutes to realize what A/W and S/S stand for :biggrin:
I'm just going to go for S/S and hope for the best.
I got an interview for River Island on Tuesday, but I have bright red hair, do you advise me to dye it a darker shade of red?
Also I dress quite Urban Outfitter-esque, like quite grunge so do you think this would be fine? Thankyou xx
Reply 113
Don't change your style, stay how you are they like people who spark personality.
Reply 114
Hi, i have an "assessment" with River Island. It states on the email it will last up to 2 hours. I was just wondering what the process consists of and what are the individual 1 to 1 interview questions they ask...such as "what is good costumer service", "describe a situation when you dealt with an angry costumer", ect... what kind of questions come up?

Also this is my first ever interview, i've never worked in retail before...so do you think this will be a problem?

thanks so much everyone for your help! really nervous :colondollar:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 115
ahhh got an interview next week! really nervous, as i've never worked in retail before so slightly worried for that simple fact i won't get the job. any advise? and also what are the 1 to 1 questions they ask and how long does that part o the process take?
Reply 116
Hi there,

I worked for River Island for two years so I may be able to help!

First of all since it is a fashion retailer make sure you are up to date with current trends as they will probably ask you about current ladies and mens trends. Also obviously dress to impress!!

The main thing with RI like most other retailers is their attention to customer service. Talk about what you think excellent customer service is, how you can exceed the customers expectations. They want confident people who arnt afraid to engage with the customer and to approach customers. Also be prepared to talk about working in a team.... that could be work or school or something.

They may ask:

What do you know about River Island?
Who are our target market?
Who are our competitiors?
What makes us different? ( their fab customer service and customer attention )
Tell us about a time when you have gone out of your way to exceed the expectations of others?
What is good customer service?
How would you deliver this to our customers?

Just remember that everything needs to be about the customer.

When I first started with RI I just had a 1 on 1 interview so I can imagine with the assessment day theyre looking for people who will really stand out... so try and include yourself as much as possible and be confident. And dont worry, whats the worst that can happen! Either you get the job (YAYY!!) or you never see them again!!

GOOD LUCK! x
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 117
Thank you! that was very informative and helpful :smile:
Original post by Anjna
Thank you! that was very informative and helpful :smile:

which river island is your interview at?!x
Original post by Shine0
Hi there,

I worked for River Island for two years so I may be able to help!

First of all since it is a fashion retailer make sure you are up to date with current trends as they will probably ask you about current ladies and mens trends. Also obviously dress to impress!!

The main thing with RI like most other retailers is their attention to customer service. Talk about what you think excellent customer service is, how you can exceed the customers expectations. They want confident people who arnt afraid to engage with the customer and to approach customers. Also be prepared to talk about working in a team.... that could be work or school or something.

They may ask:

What do you know about River Island?
Who are our target market?
Who are our competitiors?
What makes us different? ( their fab customer service and customer attention )
Tell us about a time when you have gone out of your way to exceed the expectations of others?
What is good customer service?
How would you deliver this to our customers?

Just remember that everything needs to be about the customer.

When I first started with RI I just had a 1 on 1 interview so I can imagine with the assessment day theyre looking for people who will really stand out... so try and include yourself as much as possible and be confident. And dont worry, whats the worst that can happen! Either you get the job (YAYY!!) or you never see them again!!

GOOD LUCK! x

when working? or just in general?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending