The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Leicester accomodation

Scroll to see replies

Mary Gee is a lot more social then JoFo and it really isn't that bad, admittedly I didn't live there but I know plenty of people who did and they all found it great. GMS and digby seems to generally be a solid choice aswell. Beaumont seems to have mixed experiences but the times I've been there its seemed find.
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
I just finished my first year at uni and stayed in GMS Bowder Court! Only half of bowder court had been refurbished when I moved in and I got old bowder court but its all being redone this summer and when its finished it looks sooooo nice! Bowder Court is self catered and ensuite and is incredibly more social than John Foster!
Reply 462
Any reviews about cityblock 1 leicester?
FYI i am a freshman
I'll be having 11 roommates (mixed gender). What can be possible advantages and disadvantages of the same ?
Reply 463
Original post by Batmonkey
this is what happened to me, leicester was my insurance and I got just dumped there and your right it is outdated and not the best but at the end of the day it was much cheaper than my first choice accommodation so I had more money to spare and it really wasn't that bad, not as nice as JoFo but not the end of the world.

So you have stayed at Mary Gee houses? I have been given a room in block C and I have only 4 days to choose to accept or reject the offer, what is your advice? Are rooms, bathrooms and kitchens good? And are there places to take a bike? Thank you!
I really wish people would stop saying Mary Gee is dreadful - it's really not. It's not wonderful, definitely not compared to John Foster, but that was only built in 2008 so obviously it's not going to be the same...

I was put in Mary Gee, and at first I was really hesitant and worried. However, I was in Block U, and while I admit that the carpets in some rooms weren't that great, the blocks themselves were fine. They were clean enough, the bathrooms were of good sizes (one on top floor, one on ground floor - if you're lucky you'll get a bath AND a shower) and a weird utility room on the middle floor with sinks. The kitchen is fairly long and narrow, and it can get difficult if there are more than 4 people cooking at once (especially living with 9 other people) but luckily my house all liked to cook at different hours between 6 and 9, so it was fine! There was a table in ours with 6 chairs, there were two fridge freezers (a little tight to fit everyone's stuff in, but manageable!), there's a noticeboard, one big window at either end of the kitchen and the floor can be mopped clean. Oh, there were two hobs/ovens in ours too, and two sinks with draining boards. It's big enough, trust me. :smile: Also, the heating could be a bit temperamental but there's a thermostat on the middle floor (in the corridor) so we were warm all year long. :p:

The bedrooms (or at least in my block) had a big desk with a chair, a comfy chair, a single bed, a wardrobe and bedside table with a small drawer. There were also shelves above our desks. The beds usually had enough room under them that if you struggled for space you could put your stuff under there - I had lots of plastic boxes for this. :smile: The internet is wired but fast - but make sure you bring a decent length cable. And, if you are like my housemate, she had a 30m cable and lived above the kitchen - if ever we wanted the internet in the kitchen she used to hang her internet cable out her window and pull it into the kitchen. We probably weren't supposed to do that, but never mind. :wink:

I haven't been there since last year so I'm not sure if they've updated the bike shelter at all, but if you want to take a bike make sure you bring a decent lock - a D lock is the best you can get. If you have quick release wheels, make sure you have a lock that can go round the frame and both wheels too. I left my bike in my room over the holidays (you weren't supposed to do this, but they weren't going to provide adequate shelter/safe locking for my bike so that's what I did). Basically, the problem with the bike shelter was that it was literally just a wooden shack. There were places for between maybe 15-20 bikes but the rest had to be locked to railings. The problems came when people went home for Christmas/Easter. The site wasn't watched and there were no security cameras, only subwardens who weren't really around much either. I remember over the Easter period there was a mass bike theft, where people had come onsite and tried to get every bike they could. I'm not trying to scare, I'm just trying to warn you that you will need a decent lock, because for some reason there are some horrible people that prey on Mary Gee bikes.

Anyway, please PM me if you want more information or want to ask me anything else, I have a couple of pictures of my room and possibly a few of the kitchen floating about, so if anyone wants I can send those.

To be honest though, I made some truly amazing friends in Mary Gee - it was definitely worth living there as I had extra money in my pocket, there's a free bus to Asda on Tuesdays and as long as you don't mind not living in top quality accommodation, it's absolutely fine. It doesn't matter where you stay, what matters is the people, so. :smile: (You can also save money if you don't buy a bus pass - it's always full when it gets to Mary Gee so you might as well walk or cycle. There are a few shops in town that sell second hand bicycles, so that might be a good investment. :smile:)

Anyway my post is too long, I shall stop. Good luck, and don't worry, you will be fine! :smile:

(I'm not sure what the state of the bike racks are now, as I'm going into my third year and haven't been near Mary Gee since last summer). Just make sure you have a decent lock, whatever happens.)

Another bonus is that you don't have to move all your stuff out over christmas or easter (4-5 week periods), so ha to jofo :p:

Edit: negged for trying to help? wow. :rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 465
[QUOTE=siani-chan;38508576
To be honest though, I made some truly amazing friends in Mary Gee - it was definitely worth living there as I had extra money in my pocket, there's a free bus to Asda on Tuesdays and as long as you don't mind not living in top quality accommodation, it's absolutely fine. It doesn't matter where you stay, what matters is the people, so. :smile: (You can also save money if you don't buy a bus pass - it's always full when it gets to Mary Gee so you might as well walk or cycle. There are a few shops in town that sell second hand bicycles, so that might be a good investment. :smile:)

Please tell me remains the 'Beaver Bus' and still uses the slogan 'Ride the Beaver'.
Original post by roh
Please tell me remains the 'Beaver Bus' and still uses the slogan 'Ride the Beaver'.

Yes that bus still exists - we still laugh about it even now. :p:
Reply 467
Original post by siani-chan
Yes that bus still exists - we still laugh about it even now. :p:

I've always wondered whether the person who wrote that was incredibly naive or in on the joke! Brilliant either way :biggrin:
Reply 468
Anyway, please PM me if you want more information or want to ask me anything else, I have a couple of pictures of my room and possibly a few of the kitchen floating about, so if anyone wants I can send those.

Thank you very much! :smile::smile: I sent you a private message!!
Reply 469
Hi Feds90,
I've also been allocated a room in Mary Gee, and tbh I was a bit disappointed... Really wondering what it looks like and what the shared bathrooms are like, because I was hoping for an ensuite.
Reply 470
Original post by MagicJo
Hi Feds90,
I've also been allocated a room in Mary Gee, and tbh I was a bit disappointed... Really wondering what it looks like and what the shared bathrooms are like, because I was hoping for an ensuite.

Hi MagicJo! At first I also was a bit afraid about the situation, but now, after I've talked with Siani-chan, I think I'll accept the offer. Which block they give to you?
I really wish people would stop saying Mary Gee is dreadful - it's really not. It's not wonderful, definitely not compared to John Foster, but that was only built in 2008 so obviously it's not going to be the same...

I was put in Mary Gee, and at first I was really hesitant and worried. However, I was in Block U, and while I admit that the carpets in some rooms weren't that great, the blocks themselves were fine. They were clean enough, the bathrooms were of good sizes (one on top floor, one on ground floor - if you're lucky you'll get a bath AND a shower) and a weird utility room on the middle floor with sinks. The kitchen is fairly long and narrow, and it can get difficult if there are more than 4 people cooking at once (especially living with 9 other people) but luckily my house all liked to cook at different hours between 6 and 9, so it was fine! There was a table in ours with 6 chairs, there were two fridge freezers (a little tight to fit everyone's stuff in, but manageable!), there's a noticeboard, one big window at either end of the kitchen and the floor can be mopped clean. Oh, there were two hobs/ovens in ours too, and two sinks with draining boards. It's big enough, trust me. :smile: Also, the heating could be a bit temperamental but there's a thermostat on the middle floor (in the corridor) so we were warm all year long. :p:

The bedrooms (or at least in my block) had a big desk with a chair, a comfy chair, a single bed, a wardrobe and bedside table with a small drawer. There were also shelves above our desks. The beds usually had enough room under them that if you struggled for space you could put your stuff under there - I had lots of plastic boxes for this. :smile: The internet is wired but fast - but make sure you bring a decent length cable. And, if you are like my housemate, she had a 30m cable and lived above the kitchen - if ever we wanted the internet in the kitchen she used to hang her internet cable out her window and pull it into the kitchen. We probably weren't supposed to do that, but never mind. :wink:

I haven't been there since last year so I'm not sure if they've updated the bike shelter at all, but if you want to take a bike make sure you bring a decent lock - a D lock is the best you can get. If you have quick release wheels, make sure you have a lock that can go round the frame and both wheels too. I left my bike in my room over the holidays (you weren't supposed to do this, but they weren't going to provide adequate shelter/safe locking for my bike so that's what I did). Basically, the problem with the bike shelter was that it was literally just a wooden shack. There were places for between maybe 15-20 bikes but the rest had to be locked to railings. The problems came when people went home for Christmas/Easter. The site wasn't watched and there were no security cameras, only subwardens who weren't really around much either. I remember over the Easter period there was a mass bike theft, where people had come onsite and tried to get every bike they could. I'm not trying to scare, I'm just trying to warn you that you will need a decent lock, because for some reason there are some horrible people that prey on Mary Gee bikes.

Anyway my post is too long, I shall stop. Good luck, and don't worry, you will be fine! :smile:

(I'm not sure what the state of the bike racks are now, as I'm going into my third year and haven't been near Mary Gee since last summer). Just make sure you have a decent lock, whatever happens.)

Another bonus is that you don't have to move all your stuff out over christmas or easter (4-5 week periods), so ha to jofo :p:

Edit: negged for trying to help? wow. :rolleyes:

Hey, I'm actually looking for a second hand bike for when I HOPEFULLY come to Leicester in October. Do you happen to know any of the names of the second-hand bike shops you mentioned? Thanks! :smile:
Original post by Feds90
So you have stayed at Mary Gee houses? I have been given a room in block C and I have only 4 days to choose to accept or reject the offer, what is your advice? Are rooms, bathrooms and kitchens good? And are there places to take a bike? Thank you!

very sorry for the late reply, not had any internet. No i've not stayed, i've moved into a house for second year and i'm staying there over the summer as I have a job in Leicester. Its normal for people to move from the halls of residence to a shared house to second, third or fourth year. Ok honestly I'd accept it, tbh you don't miss out on anything being at mary gee, it has a great community and i met some really great people. Its true it's nothing like john foster but it's SOOO much cheaper and trust me as a student you will want the extra money. The rooms are an ok size, not massive but not too tiny to live in, i'd advise you to move the furniture around to get the most out of the space. The bathroom and kitchen are not luxury but they are live able - hint for where ever you live sort out fridge space and cupboard space because it can cause arguments and set some kind of rota for who takes out the bin! I know this is too late to help you with your decision but someone else wrote a lot about it but id be interested to know what you decided to do - oh and as for bikes there were quite a few thefts but bikes go routinely missing no matter which accommodation you live in
Original post by MagicJo
Hi Feds90,

I can see if i can pm you some photo's might take me a few days as I don't currently have internet in my student house ( having to go to the library for my facebook fix :tongue: ) so let me know, not sure i have one of the bathroom though :smile:
Original post by roh

yes. yes it does. It never failed to make me laugh last year :biggrin:
The area is good :biggrin:
Reply 476
Original post by Feds90
Hi MagicJo! At first I also was a bit afraid about the situation, but now, after I've talked with Siani-chan, I think I'll accept the offer. Which block they give to you?

Hi! I've accepted it as well. The Accommodation Office didn't really give me any hope for a change of the situation, so it sort of felt like my only option to be sure of a place to stay. However, I'm still in doubt whether I should perhaps try again and go for catered or even private accommodation, but it all seems so much extra hassle in so little time, so I'm not even sure about that, haha. I'll be in Block D, Room 2, I think! Really hope they've carried out some refurbishings on the place :P

I can see if i can pm you some photo's might take me a few days as I don't currently have internet in my student house ( having to go to the library for my facebook fix :tongue: ) so let me know, not sure i have one of the bathroom though :smile:

Hi Batmonkey! If you could find the time, that'd be great! But please don't feel obliged if you have to go all the way to the library only to do that :smile: It's too bad about the bathroom photos, haha, 'cause that's what I'm most worried about :P
Reply 477
very sorry for the late reply, not had any internet. No i've not stayed, i've moved into a house for second year and i'm staying there over the summer as I have a job in Leicester. Its normal for people to move from the halls of residence to a shared house to second, third or fourth year. Ok honestly I'd accept it, tbh you don't miss out on anything being at mary gee, it has a great community and i met some really great people. Its true it's nothing like john foster but it's SOOO much cheaper and trust me as a student you will want the extra money. The rooms are an ok size, not massive but not too tiny to live in, i'd advise you to move the furniture around to get the most out of the space. The bathroom and kitchen are not luxury but they are live able - hint for where ever you live sort out fridge space and cupboard space because it can cause arguments and set some kind of rota for who takes out the bin! I know this is too late to help you with your decision but someone else wrote a lot about it but id be interested to know what you decided to do - oh and as for bikes there were quite a few thefts but bikes go routinely missing no matter which accommodation you live in

Hi Batmonkey! Thank you for giving me your opinion! At last I accepted the room...I hope I did it right! :biggrin: If you found your photos, could you please send them to me, too? A doubt just came to me: is there internet at Mary Gee? Thank you very much!

Original post by MagicJo
Hi! I've accepted it as well. The Accommodation Office didn't really give me any hope for a change of the situation, so it sort of felt like my only option to be sure of a place to stay. However, I'm still in doubt whether I should perhaps try again and go for catered or even private accommodation, but it all seems so much extra hassle in so little time, so I'm not even sure about that, haha. I'll be in Block D, Room 2, I think! Really hope they've carried out some refurbishings on the place :P

Hi MagicJo! I 've accepted it too! I'll be in Block C, Room 6...let's hope for the best! :wink:
Hi I'm Leicester Medic (hopefully August will allow).
Just wanted to ask, as I'm a techy guy, what is the internet situation down there? Ethernet ports in rooms (are there Ethernet ports in rooms actually?) or is wifi available for all? Because I will bring my own router if I need to.
Also, I just applied for accommodation and I firmed Leicester ages ago. Am I likely to get at least 2nd/3rd choice of accommodation?
Many thanks for the help in advance, I will ask more questions as they come up in my head.
Original post by The Russian
Hi I'm Leicester Medic (hopefully August will allow).
Just wanted to ask, as I'm a techy guy, what is the internet situation down there? Ethernet ports in rooms (are there Ethernet ports in rooms actually?) or is wifi available for all? Because I will bring my own router if I need to.
Also, I just applied for accommodation and I firmed Leicester ages ago. Am I likely to get at least 2nd/3rd choice of accommodation?
Many thanks for the help in advance, I will ask more questions as they come up in my head.

Congrats on the medicine offer mate - hope results go your way and you join us at the induction week :smile:

Situation on the internet:

http://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/accommodation/faqs/internet-and-telephones-2012-13

And with regards to accommodation - as far as I know, it's pretty random allocation. You'll find out once your results are out (that's when your room will be confirmed)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending