The Student Room Group

Social Work 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Original post by miss_colourful
OH. That sucks...how is that fair? You're still doing the same course as us!

Aww...I'm sorry, are you going to have to work during the course?
Where are you from originally?

Haha feel the same way! Not fair at all... I'm taking out loans to cover most of everything, but I'll still be working. I'm from the US :smile:
Reply 321
Hi, I applied for social work course at UCLAN starting sept 2012. I only recently wanted to change my career so was advised this uni has places still available. It will also be near to me i did fill in my application early june though. I will be a mature student and still anticipating a reply. I keep checking on track and still there is nothing.
Original post by kbd0002
Haha feel the same way! Not fair at all... I'm taking out loans to cover most of everything, but I'll still be working. I'm from the US :smile:

Oh the joys of loans...perfect when they are there...but I am dreading the repayments...:frown:
But you'll still have some sort of regular money :biggrin:

I want to go to US to do a postgrad/masters in play therapy :biggrin:
Reply 323
That did occur to me...but I've got used to being paid every 2 weeks...I think I might have to ease myself out of it...Or else I'll end up spending everything at once :tongue:

Yeah I'm like that, so bad with money and saving! Will definitely have to budget!
Reply 324
Original post by loulou81
Hi, I applied for social work course at UCLAN starting sept 2012. I only recently wanted to change my career so was advised this uni has places still available. It will also be near to me i did fill in my application early june though. I will be a mature student and still anticipating a reply. I keep checking on track and still there is nothing.

Hi, I also applied late for the Social work degree at UCLan, at around the same time as you. I recieved a phone call inviting me for an interview this Monday, so nervous. I am also a mature student, like yourself and will be commuting to uni from Blackpool! Thats if I get a place! Wish you all the luck though on getting in.
Reply 325
Original post by Hermione_moo
Good luck everyone :smile:

I have my place at Bedford uni all sorted for September. I was supposed to start this year but got a promotion at work to service coordinator working in children's services, so deferred my place for the year.

I applied for 4; UEA, Anglia Ruskin, Bedford and Northampton. I didn't get an interview for the UEA, got an interview at Anglia Ruskin and Bedford and withdrew from Northampton as it was April and I had received my unconditional offer from Bedford and Northampton hadn't even short listed for interview at the time.

The interviews were great, I found the English easy and if you are at A level English standard you have nothing to worry about honestly. Beford gave us a reading list of 6 recommended books and a question, we were able to bring half a sheet of a4 notes with us on the day and had to write the essay in exam conditions at the uni. Anglia Ruskin gave us a choice of 3 questions (1 mental health, 1 about a young single mother and 1 about a child) on the day and we had to write as much as we could in 30 mins.

The individual interview went well at Bedford, I had the time and they really tried to dig and throw things at me, which I loved and was well prepared for, Anglia Ruskin however seemed very unprepared and I got 5 mins to try and explain and I honestly didn't think they were even listening to what I had to say either, the ladies doing the interviews looked like they wanted to be anywhere else but there and the questions were simply 'why social work, experience and attributes'.

The worst thing I found was the group discussions, trying to take turns with a simple topic was a nightmare. You have to get your point across without butting in, bringing up good points and being respectful to other points of view. The Bedford question was 'Disabled people should be involved with the provision of their own care' and the Anglia Ruskin was a scenario of an old man who was frail and wife had died, he wanted to stay in his own home but struggled due to failing physical health and his bathroom was upstairs, what would you do to help'

Some of the people at the interviews were terrible, some of course were lovely and I made a couple of friends, but I came across lots of know it alls however (mainly at Anglia Ruskin) but I suppose you get that wherever you go, but it just annoys me as I have worked in social care for years at a senior level and you get these 18 year olds who think they know it all, when in truth nobody does. Make sure you don't fall into that trap or they will spot it a mile off and you will be unlikely to make it. The same applies if you're too timid, if you have nothing to say then you will struggle.

I hope that helps some of you to know what to kind of expect. Just be yourselves and enjoy it :smile:

Hi,

I have an interview at UCLan on Monday. I know you applied for different uni's, however did you get told there and then, that you had the place? My letter says that if you fail the written test, then you will be asked to go home half way through the day. Did you notice alot of people drop out? I'am getting nervous, because I am not very good at written tests. It will also be very embarrasing doing the walk of shame! lol!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 326
Original post by Cholland18
Hi
I have applied for Lancaster, Edge Hill, Salford, manchester met and Preston. Had interviews at Salford and edge hill and been offered a place at edge hill. Still waiting to hear from Salford! But heard nothing from the other three has anyone else applied for these/had interviews/got offers??? x

Hi,

I put n application in for UCLan at the end of May. I recieved a call last week from them inviting me for an interview this monday. I thought that I had left it too late. Well at least you got a place at the other one! well done!
Reply 327
Original post by 01tdavies
Of course I had young 'prospective students' in my interview - it's called equal opportunities.
Was your Mum 18 years old when she studied/decided she wanted to be a Social Worker?
It’s nothing to do with being a ‘positive and encouraging’ person… Like I said, there are people who will be accepted for the degree without a clue what it's like to be a Social Worker, and then they'll get into the real world & freak out. It's my opinion that more work experience should be needed...
You might be able to understand what I’m saying one day :smile:

Your attitude seems very negative towards, the younger students. I am a mature student and I wish that I had the ambition to go for such a role at that age. Yes, they may not have as much life experience but they are not going onto the course with judgemental attitudes. How would you feel if they were posting stuff about mature students saying that we are passed it ect. I've been reading these blogs and its like some sort of age battle. Sort it out guys. Whatever age people are they have obviously been chosen by qualified experienced people because their of personalities, qualities and ablitities. Everyone has equal opportunities. It's placement based so thay they can gain experience. If they are willing to work hard and study hard I dont see what the problem is. But, you might understand what i am saying... one day.
Reply 328
What I said is my opinion, and my opinion has come from my experience. Obviously there are going to be exceptions; personal experiences or being 'told' from a young age by your parents that you are going to be a Social Worker, but for the majority, I feel that a couple of hours care experience is not enough to understand what the social work role entails.
As I said, this is my opinion, and we will all learn, especially in the first year, that everyone has and is entitled to their point of view.
I will be 22 when I start the course in September so by all means am I 'mature', I'm not talking about life experience, I'm talking about WORK experience, and not enough just to meet the entry criteria.

22 your not much older than the school leavers! Yes everyone is entitled to their own opinions. However, discriminating against young people is against the law! And it is also against everything that social work is about. When people work and gain experience they pick up, bad practice as well as good practical skills and without the knowledge behind them care on using bad practice. Iam 26, so does that mean I have more experience than you?
Reply 329
Oh the joys of loans...perfect when they are there...but I am dreading the repayments...:frown:
But you'll still have some sort of regular money :biggrin:

I want to go to US to do a postgrad/masters in play therapy :biggrin:

Oh god... I can't even start thinking about repayment yet... starts making me anxious ha
Nice! Have you looked into any schools yet? Or I guess you're probably just starting uni this year...?
Original post by dan_oufc
Yeah I'm like that, so bad with money and saving! Will definitely have to budget!

I am too!! I realised this the other month when my paycheck was gone within a week...and I had nothing to show for it...I spent so much of it on food and cinema trips :s-smilie: SO I have to buy less food and illegally download more movies...even though I work at Blockbuster...:biggrin:

I was gunna try budgeting this week...but I had already planned a movie I was going to watch so that plan went way out of the window :tongue:

Original post by kbd0002
Oh god... I can't even start thinking about repayment yet... starts making me anxious ha
Nice! Have you looked into any schools yet? Or I guess you're probably just starting uni this year...?

I have officially decided to ignore the fact that I have to repay anything and am gunna blow as much money as I possibly can in the most sensible way XD

No, simply cause it confuses me a bit and I can't even apply till I get an actual degree...:smile: Oh and I have no idea which state I want to go to...there seems to be at least 4 course provider in every state maybe more :redface:
Reply 331

I have officially decided to ignore the fact that I have to repay anything and am gunna blow as much money as I possibly can in the most sensible way XD

No, simply cause it confuses me a bit and I can't even apply till I get an actual degree...:smile: Oh and I have no idea which state I want to go to...there seems to be at least 4 course provider in every state maybe more :redface:

At least! Really I guess depends on where you want to live.. There are decent schools in almost every state... avoid the midwest and south if you can! haha
Original post by kbd0002
At least! Really I guess depends on where you want to live.. There are decent schools in almost every state... avoid the midwest and south if you can! haha

Got it. Avoid the midwest and south. :biggrin:
Reply 333
Hi everyone :smile: have any of you guys got your reading list for September yet? I had an orientation day at UoC on Wednesday and they said they would email me the timetable etc for September but I would like to start getting books now while I'm still working and save some money for living costs out of my finance etc. Thanks Mand :smile: x
Reply 334
Original post by Mand76
Hi everyone :smile: have any of you guys got your reading list for September yet? I had an orientation day at UoC on Wednesday and they said they would email me the timetable etc for September but I would like to start getting books now while I'm still working and save some money for living costs out of my finance etc. Thanks Mand :smile: x

Pre-Course Reading List:

Crème, P. and Lea, M (2008) (3rd ed) Writing at University. Buckingham: Open University Press.

Cree, V. (2003) Becoming a Social Worker. London: Routledge

Cree, V. and Davis, A. (2007) Social Work: voices from the inside. London: Routledge

Horner, N. (2009) (3rd Edition) What is Social Work? Exeter: Learning Matters.

Howe, D (2009) A Brief Introduction to Social Work Theory. London: Palgrave Macmillan.

Parrish, M. (2010) Social Work Perspectives on Human Behaviour. Maidenhead: McGraw Hill, Open University Press.

Payne, M. (2005) (3rd Edition) Modern Social Work Theory. London: Palgrave.

Sudbery, J. (2010) Human Growth and Development. An introduction for social workers. London; Routledge.

Thompson, Neil (2005) Understanding Social Work (2nd edition). Basingstoke, Palgrave Macmillan

Thompson, N. (2005) (4th Edition) Anti-discriminatory Practice Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan

Trevithick, P. (2010) Social Work Skills and Knowledge: a practice handbook. Maidenhead, Open University press

Walker, H. (2011) Studying for Your Social Work Degree 2nd Ed. Learning Matters, Exeter

Wilkinson, R., Pickett, K.  (2009)  The Spirit Level:  Why More Equal Societies Almost Always Do Better.  London:  Penguin.

Wilson, K., Ruch, G. Lymbery, M. And Cooper, A. (2011) Social Work: An introduction to contemporary practice. 2nd Ed. Harlow, Pearson Education

Enjoy :smile: X
Reply 335
Pre-Course Reading List:

Crème, P. and Lea, M (2008) (3rd ed) Writing at University. Buckingham: Open University Press.

Cree, V. and Davis, A. (2007) Social Work: voices from the inside. London: Routledge

Howe, D (2009) A Brief Introduction to Social Work Theory. London: Palgrave Macmillan.

Parrish, M. (2010) Social Work Perspectives on Human Behaviour. Maidenhead: McGraw Hill, Open University Press.

Sudbery, J. (2010) Human Growth and Development. An introduction for social workers. London; Routledge.

Thompson, Neil (2005) Understanding Social Work (2nd edition). Basingstoke, Palgrave Macmillan

Thompson, N. (2005) (4th Edition) Anti-discriminatory Practice Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan

Trevithick, P. (2010) Social Work Skills and Knowledge: a practice handbook. Maidenhead, Open University press

Walker, H. (2011) Studying for Your Social Work Degree 2nd Ed. Learning Matters, Exeter

Wilkinson, R., Pickett, K.  (2009)  The Spirit Level:  Why More Equal Societies Almost Always Do Better.  London:  Penguin.

Wilson, K., Ruch, G. Lymbery, M. And Cooper, A. (2011) Social Work: An introduction to contemporary practice. 2nd Ed. Harlow, Pearson Education

Thank you you're a :star: xx I'll get onto that and read up before I start :bigsmile: xxxx
Reply 336
Original post by Mand76
Thank you you're a :star: xx I'll get onto that and read up before I start :bigsmile: xxxx

I'd recommend 'An Introduction to Contemporary Practice' Harlow and Pearson.
Although it's £28 it covers so much and is apparently used through the whole 3 years of studying. It has saved me from buying several smaller books which would have easily added up to over £28!

Also, I found the Amazon Website useful to preview the contents of books and to have a quick read of how 'reader friendly' they are.

X
Reply 337
I'd recommend 'An Introduction to Contemporary Practice' Harlow and Pearson.
Although it's £28 it covers so much and is apparently used through the whole 3 years of studying. It has saved me from buying several smaller books which would have easily added up to over £28!

Also, I found the Amazon Website useful to preview the contents of books and to have a quick read of how 'reader friendly' they are.

X

Thank you '') xx
Original post by Dannie.
I have an interview and staffordshire In Early Feb
I do not know what to expect.
I am so HAPPY but yet nervous :smile:

Hi there, I just came across your post as I am looking for some advice about my impending social work interview at Staffordshire University. Can I ask how it went and what is the best way to prepare for this interview?
Kind regards
Pre-Course Reading List:

Do you happen to know if this list applies to any undergraduate courses? I mean, will most/all unis ask you to buy these books at some point in a 3 year course?

Quick Reply

Latest