The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3600
Fair enough, that's understandable. Any manga I do read nowadays I use my iPad for. It works particularly well with it or any similar tablet I'd imagine. If you find the back light distracting (still ideal if you're travelling on a plane or something), I've heard e-book readers such as the Kindle are worth looking into. That said, I can relate with the tactile argument that Jenni mentioned of holding an actual printed book in your hand, although in my case this is more for novels rather than manga. I still prefer to buy books to read rather than using my tablet or buying an e-book reader, it's just not the same.

As for collecting, obviously that's different and there's no alternative to buying. I think I've mentioned this before, but I've never been a collector/hoarder of anything. Any anime or manga I've accumulated throughout the years is merely a byproduct of my obsession of watching anime and reading manga, but I certainly never lined any of them up on a shelf during this time. With the advent of the internet, and specifically how quickly things can become available, it seems less of a need. I did subscribe to a few manga magazines lately for nostalgia, but I quickly realised that it was somewhat redundant in my case.
Reply 3601
Original post by Aiko
The great thing is, Major continues to get better and better with each season. Personally, it tops Slam Dunk and One Outs for me, although is on par with Hajime no Ippo. :smile:

Ahhh great hahaha I just finished the second seasson. It's just so good that it has 6 seassons plus OVA :woohoo:

Original post by skipp
The more Nabari no ou I watch the less I like it...but the more I want to keep watching :hmmmm: maybe it's in hope that I'm nearer to the end?

It happened the same to me xD With the first chapters I though it was interesting, then I lost interest with every chapter untill I dropt it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3602
Sword Art Online is turning out to be pretty good. It's one of the few from this current season that I'm finding myself looking forward to the most and is already holding my interest more than Accel World is, which is by the same author, not to suggest that the latter is boring me. I suppose it's the sinister premise, of which I like and find quite original, of having people play the game against their will and at the expense of their own life in reality if they lose. I also prefer the characters in that their roles are less contrived than in Accel World. I also prefer the protagonist, partly because he's more ordinary looking and in keeping with everyone else, but also because he's a lot more logical and seemingly experienced.

I haven't read the light novels of both, but according to my friend Kiki who has, both are set in the same world/universe, only that Sword Art Online is a few decades earlier, which makes sense given that the technology used to play the game is less advanced than that in Accel World. I do have to wonder whether there'll be any parallels between both, and whether the game in Accel World is by the same developer/creator, which would make sense given the secrecy surrounding it. Would be interesting, in any case.
Reply 3603
Original post by r4ndom
Ahhh great hahaha I just finished the second seasson. It's just so good that it has 6 seasson plus OVA :woohoo:

Yeah, given the length of the manga, it's great that the anime adaptation managed to cover everything until the end, including the OVA which provided satisfactory closure. I guess what I also liked about Major is how it follows Goro's life from a young child to a grown man, and does so really well because of its length. :smile:
Sword Art Online turns out to be an epic anime actually. I am kinda disappointed with the naruto manga is it is getting smaller and smaller (in pages) after each release. Bleach going quite good too. In my opinion Fairy Tale is one of the best mangas along with one piece.

My all time favourite anime however has to be either Code Geass or D. Grayman. I wish D. Grayman continued as it was getting so good.
The 'Choose your own adventure'-style chapter at the end of Rave Master vol. 16 was awesome. :rofl: I'd love to see a full volume like that. :p:
Reply 3606
MLA:TE was much better this week, now they've actually introduced the main cast. Still lots of animation errors and inconsistencies. The OP is still terrible, but I'm still enjoying it... more than likely through pre-existing bias.

Need to catch up on the last 3 weeks of Hyouka again. And I caught up on Yuru Yuri a few days ago.
Reply 3607
Original post by Tabris
MLA:TE was much better this week, now they've actually introduced the main cast. Still lots of animation errors and inconsistencies. The OP is still terrible, but I'm still enjoying it... more than likely through pre-existing bias.

It's not a pretty show, that's for sure. Although TSF finger cameras and auxiliary arms can cover a multitude of sins.

In other news, this week's Smile Precure was a smashing addition to a strong recent run of episodes. We finally got to see Cure Beauty's ice-sword thing!
Reply 3608
Original post by QHF
It's not a pretty show, that's for sure. Although TSF finger cameras and auxiliary arms can cover a multitude of sins.

In other news, this week's Smile Precure was a smashing addition to a strong recent run of episodes. We finally got to see Cure Beauty's ice-sword thing!

It's like they didn't have any staff doing QC. I don't normally care too much about slight errors, but the quality is so all-over the place. Things like transitioning between poorly drawn TSFs and the CG ones wasn't great to look at either. I'd hope that things get fixed when the BDs come out, but that'd involve redrawing most of the show.

I'd have loved it if a more notable production team than Satelight's D team were on this; wishful thinking of something like a KyoAni or ProdIG would have been a dream. Or a collab.

I need to catch up on Smile as well. I'm a good 10 or so weeks behind now.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3609
Original post by Tabris
It's like they didn't have any staff doing QC. I don't normally care too much about slight errors, but the quality is so all-over the place. Things like transitioning between poorly drawn TSFs and the CG ones wasn't great to look at either. I'd hope that things get fixed when the BDs come out, but that'd involve redrawing most of the show.

I'd have loved it if a more notable production team than Satelight's D team were on this; wishful thinking of something like a KyoAni or ProdIG would have been a dream. Or a collab.

I need to catch up on Smile as well. I'm a good 10 or so weeks behind now.

Janky stuff.

I've given up hope of Kyoto animating anything that interests me for the forseeable future, which is sad for me given how good they are. (The thought of Kyoto doing the destruction of Kyoto in the first eps is amusing, though.)

Smile's been pretty strong. Besides the latest ep, 19 and 20 were both good, the first was full-on heartwarming mode and the second mad slapstick.
Reply 3610
Meanwhile, from Sunrise's parallel universe where 3DCG mecha can look really impressive, the latest trailer for that Code Geass OVA:

Ooh, more Code Geass!
This makes me happy ^_^
I've never seen Dragon Ball but I've been interested in watching the recent remake of Z, my question is: do I have to watch the original Dragon Ball to understand GT (was that what it was called?) or can I just jump straight in?
Reply 3613
Just watched the first half of the K-On! movie. Enjoyed the living **** out of it; will probably finish it another day when it's not so late.
Reply 3614
Original post by ChunkymunkyDJC
I've never seen Dragon Ball but I've been interested in watching the recent remake of Z, my question is: do I have to watch the original Dragon Ball to understand GT (was that what it was called?) or can I just jump straight in?

Nope.
Reply 3615

No need to see original Dragon Ball at all - also the remake is called Dragon Ball Kai........GT is something else entirely that I flat out refuse to watch ever.
Reply 3616
Original post by caraniel
No need to see original Dragon Ball at all - also the remake is called Dragon Ball Kai........GT is something else entirely that I flat out refuse to watch ever.

But you get to see SSJ4! And cute little Goku (because we all know he was the best when he was a kid) and Pan. :tongue:

Nah you don't need to but imo it'd be more worth to watch the original Dragonball Z instead of the remake since it's basically Z with less violence and less episodes and missed the Majin Buu saga (which probably the best part)

Original post by caraniel

And miss SSJ4 Goku/Vegeta/Gogeta, Baby Vegeta and Shenron!??:zomg:
Since Jormungand is finished until next season. I started watching Black Lagoon, good so far but it seems the animation is much better than Jormungand.
Reply 3619
Original post by The Cornerstone
And miss SSJ4 Goku/Vegeta/Gogeta, Baby Vegeta and Shenron!??:zomg:

I can understand where he's coming from; Akira Toriyama's limited involvement in GT shows.

Latest