The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FrozenCharlotte
Then it's good morning to you :P

What jobs are you applying for?

Training contracts with law firms - in short, another year of classroom learning (after I graduate next year) and then a two year apprenticeship. Apparently there are about 30,000 students looking for a TC and only 5,000 places. :s-smilie:
Original post by Tortious
Thanks. :hugs:

Good luck! :hugs:
:sadnod:

I'm feeling slightly reassured by the fact that one guy on here has done 23 applications - 9 weren't serious (he reckons) and he's had one PFO ("Please **** Off"). Whilst I think 50 is overkill in terms of the number one should be doing, I can't help but think that he hasn't bought that many lottery tickets. He gets his results tomorrow, so that may be the deciding factor: everyone needs a 2.1, regardless of university etc.!

Are you applying to Mishcon again? :sexface:

But why are applications needed so early though? :s-smilie:
Ouch! Those are tough odds :sigh: But I hope they go fishing your way!
Original post by cpdavis
Are you applying to Mishcon again? :sexface:

Yep, although I've been putting it off - hoping to get some feedback from other firms on those applications so I know how to go about my application to Mishcon this time. Thankfully the questions are the same as for the vac scheme, and Mishcon were good enough to tell me how to improve (20 minute chat!), so fingers crossed I at least get to interview again this time!

But why are applications needed so early though? :s-smilie:

For some reason, a lot of firms have taken it upon themselves to pay your LPC (classroom learning bit) fees, so they need to make TC offers now to know who they'll have coming to work for them. Some smaller firms don't pay, so their applications open next year (Jan/March-ish), which means I should have another bite at the cherry if I don't get a TC offer from a "two year in advance" firm by September. :yes:

EDIT: Forgot to mention - phone interview with another firm on Wednesday, which at least means I passed their psychometric tests. :awesome: If I get through, I get to an assessment centre (one day of interviews and business games). There are a lot of hurdles to the process though, which increases the odds of falling at one!
(edited 11 years ago)
(Combo breaker notice :tongue:)

Any ideas on what I can cook for lunch? I'm out of culinary inspiration for some reason! :confused:
(Combo breaker notice :tongue:)

Probably for the best - I've noticed that law seems to dominate every conversation I have, even in a social setting. :o:

Any ideas on what I can cook for lunch? I'm out of culinary inspiration for some reason! :confused:

Corned beef hash. :sogood: [noparse]

Erm...jacket potato?
Probably for the best - I've noticed that law seems to dominate every conversation I have, even in a social setting. :o:

Corned beef hash. :sogood: [noparse]

Erm...jacket potato?

:nooo: My parents used to tell me that was made from puppy dogs :sad:
Original post by The Puppet Master

:sad:

You're missing out - come to Cambridge and I'll cook it for you. :yep:
which at least means I passed their psychometric tests. :awesome:

LOL @ your revelling in the achievement. It certainly IS something to feel accomplished about :wink2:

:beer:
Hahahaha corned beef? That's a culinary wonder (NOT) my country made a fortune of from its exportation to Europe in WWII...so perhaps not.

Jacket potato, on the other hand, doesn't sound so bad...Any domestic animal ingredient I should be aware of?

EDIT: Grammar nazi
(edited 11 years ago)

It probably was xD

With some cat meat added to it.
Now, it's not that I have anything against eating one's pets..it's just that I find it inhumane to chuck them inside cans, y'know..
Hahahaha corned beef? That's a culinary wonder (NOT) my country made a fortune of from its exportation to Europe in WWII...so perhaps not.

Jacket potato, on the other hand, doesn't sound so bad...Any domestic animal ingredient I should be aware of?

EDIT: Grammar nazi

Is that where I think it is?
(edited 11 years ago)
ROFL..I cannot believe you looked it up!

That's right haha
(edited 11 years ago)
:sad:

You're missing out - come to Cambridge and I'll cook it for you. :yep:

Cambridge and being cooked for :woo: If only... :moon:

It probably was xD

With some cat meat added to it.
Now, it's not that I have anything against eating one's pets..it's just that I find it inhumane to chuck them inside cans, y'know..

Oh I don't mind cat, nice texture and saltiness to it.

I'm joking, I can't even eat beef because cows are so cute and I'll never try lamb, never. :loveduck:
ROFL..I cannot believe you looked it up!

That's right haha

I think that makes you one of the coolest people in this thread. :h:

If anyone happens to be around, do let me know. Craig has a habit of dropping in on me, so I don't mind - really! :p:
(edited 11 years ago)
I went through your post history after I'd posted and saw it mentioned - I genuinely laughed. :rofl:

Do you get this a lot?

LOL! More than you know. It's my own dramatic irony :colone:

Oh I don't mind cat, nice texture and saltiness to it.

I'm joking, I can't even eat beef because cows are so cute and I'll never try lamb, never. :loveduck:

I think if I walk three blocks from my house I have my own spectacle of cows and lambs. They have been known to start grooming themselves when they hear vegetarians approaching to boost their cuteness. It's an evil plot, really.

Or else I should count myself with the meat-eating sinners lol It's all my cultural heritage u_u
(edited 11 years ago)
Watched the new episode from the new season of The Real L Word this morning :smile:
Yep, although I've been putting it off - hoping to get some feedback from other firms on those applications so I know how to go about my application to Mishcon this time. Thankfully the questions are the same as for the vac scheme, and Mishcon were good enough to tell me how to improve (20 minute chat!), so fingers crossed I at least get to interview again this time!

What where their reasons for not giving you a vac scheme place? At least they have been helpful :h:

When's the deadline?

For some reason, a lot of firms have taken it upon themselves to pay your LPC (classroom learning bit) fees, so they need to make TC offers now to know who they'll have coming to work for them. Some smaller firms don't pay, so their applications open next year (Jan/March-ish), which means I should have another bite at the cherry if I don't get a TC offer from a "two year in advance" firm by September. :yes:

EDIT: Forgot to mention - phone interview with another firm on Wednesday, which at least means I passed their psychometric tests. :awesome: If I get through, I get to an assessment centre (one day of interviews and business games). There are a lot of hurdles to the process though, which increases the odds of falling at one!

Oh that makes sense about the fees. Although wouldn't that mean smaller firms would have less competition? And how much would the fees be usually?

Well done for phone interview :awesome: although it sounds like a long long process :sadnod: hopefully you'll get good news :biggrin: are you applying to form where you got a vac scheme? :hugs:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone App

Latest