The Student Room Group

Being forced to study Economics

So, basically my parents are making me study economics at university, even though i really want to do Psychology. (They wouldn't even let me take it for a level).

So, this being said, i have a few questions:

Is economics anyway interesting? Or is it all just statistics etc? (i honestly don't find finance or the news etc very interesting)

are there any Economics course that would somehow integrate psychology modules? that would be goooood!

Thanks alot for your help everyone, sorry if the post seemed a bit whiney.

Scroll to see replies

bumpehbumpeh
I would suggest reading about it first, we do not know if you would personally find it interesting. I thought it sounded interesting, but at A-level I found it dull.

Just apply to do Psychology if that's what you want to do, it's your life and doing a degree in Economics doesn't mean you're guaranteed a great job at the end of it - especially if you don't enjoy it, how do you expect to get the best grade by the end of the 3 years?

What A-levels do you do?
Reply 3
Original post by FuLLuPMepOrtION
So, basically my parents are making me study economics at university, even though i really want to do Psychology. (They wouldn't even let me take it for a level).

Is economics anyway interesting? Or is it all just statistics etc? (i honestly don't find finance or the news etc very interesting)

are there any Economics course that would somehow integrate psychology modules? that would be goooood!

firstly, you do realise your parents barely get a say in the application process for uni, so if you want to apply for Psychology than do it, regardless of what they say. The worst thing is doing a subject you don't want to do, a subject you don't find interesting, at uni your gonna start thinking about dropping out, what would be the point if you feel this way.
Same with a-levels, if you've finished your AS, you can pick up another AS in A2 if your carry on 3 A2's................

i really don't get way parents are so involved in subject choice of a-levels/uni when it's not their decision to make these choices.
Original post by blondie :)
I would suggest reading about it first, we do not know if you would personally find it interesting. I thought it sounded interesting, but at A-level I found it dull.

Just apply to do Psychology if that's what you want to do, it's your life and doing a degree in Economics doesn't mean you're guaranteed a great job at the end of it - especially if you don't enjoy it, how do you expect to get the best grade by the end of the 3 years?

What A-levels do you do?

Maths (Like)
Chemistry (Like)
Biology (like the human side, not keen on plants etc)
Economics, find a bit dull

i know i should, but they're going to make me feel like ****, like they do whenever i tell them! have you heard of any uni's that offer economics with pyscology modules? i've been looking but can only find it at LSE :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by Iqbal007
firstly, you do realise your parents barely get a say in the application process for uni, so if you want to apply for Psychology than do it, regardless of what they say. The worst thing is doing a subject you don't want to do, a subject you don't find interesting, at uni your gonna start thinking about dropping out, what would be the point if you feel this way.
Same with a-levels, if you've finished your AS, you can pick up another AS in A2 if your carry on 3 A2's................

i really don't get way parents are so involved in subject choice of a-levels/uni when it's not their decision to make these choices.

Maybe your parents barely get a say in the application, but they're the people who will give you money to go to university. I had the same problem but in my case it parents were saying that I have to be an engineer since I was 6 I think. Till 1 year ago I also thought I wanted to become an engineer and just recently I was thinking maybe I'll do better at finance/maths/economy related degree. Lucily it isn't to late for me nor to you. Go and talk with your parents, tell them that you won't find any job after economics if you won't enjoy it, and psychology could be a better choice

Good luck!
Reply 6
Keele do Economics and Psychology, but if you really want to do it then just lie to your parents, and at sign-up day at your school pick Psychology, and there's nothing they can do about it. Its your life now.
NEVER do anything at university that you do not have a personal interest in. University is a lot of hard work- especially third year- and to manage to read/write/speak your way through all of the course content there needs to be a part of you genuinely interested in it. Can you imagine writing a 15,000 word dissertation in an economic issue which has NO interest to you? It's a terrible idea.

I was in a meeting with my supervisor at the beginning of my third year, she's our course convener. Some one hurried in saying it was urgent and there was one student (of about 15 like her) waiting in the lobby to speak to her about dropping out. I said I'd leave straight away as it was an emergency...she said every year within the first term about 30 students leave because their parents have pushed and pushed for the prestigious uni/degree and it's not what they want. I really do not think it is a good idea.

Also you should perhaps persuade them by asking them WHY they want you to do an econ degree? I assume it's because of the career prospects...? You don't need a degree in straight economics to work in the city. Mine was mixed econ & ____ and I work in audit for a top accountancy firm. My friend did history at Newcastle and is now a hedge fund manager, another did business studies at an ex-poly and works in IB, a friend with a 2.2 in Maths from Bath works for KPMG. Firms only require a 2.1 in ANY discipline these days- university prestige probably means more than your chosen discipline in my opinion.

Because you like pyschology you could always do something business-related? A lot of business courses focus upon H.R elements and the idea of businesses as social units, etc. You could then pursue a subject that interests you whilst your parents believe they have influenced your decision.
Reply 8
Just tell them that doing the subject you enjoy will in the end probably get you a better degree and a more satisfying and worthwhile career. I know a lot of people forced into Economics and Medicine degrees who don't really have any passion for what they're studying; money isn't everything.

Psychology is a great subject and is known as a very employable degree; my sister's doing it at Warwick and it looks really interesting and has decent job prospects. In the end you have to pay back the £27k so you have to make the choice; not them.
Maths (Like)
Chemistry (Like)
Biology (like the human side, not keen on plants etc)
Economics, find a bit dull

i know i should, but they're going to make me feel like ****, like they do whenever i tell them! have you heard of any uni's that offer economics with pyscology modules? i've been looking but can only find it at LSE :frown:

It's your life, and you have to spend the next 3 years studying that subject! Just explain to them that it's better to get a 1st in Psychology rather than a 2.2 or lower in Economics as you don't enjoy it. Ask them to take you to university open days and sit through a Psychology talk - I did this with mine who didn't know what Sociology was and were sceptical of what I could really do with it, and it won them over.
I'm afraid not, as it wasn't something I personally researched. I have heard of Business Psychology, a local university offers it near me (Worcester) but it's a relatively new university, and many people consider it not to be 'respected' unlike LSE.

http://www.worcester.ac.uk/journey/business-psychology-bsc-hons.html

BUT I would suggest just to do Psychology as it's what you want to do.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Its your life not your parents. Life your life for YOU
economics is a hard subject but once you learn the work its okay :redface:
I currently do an Economics degree as my parents encouraged me to but I really want to have a career in sports. Seriously mate you don't want to make the same mistake, they aren't exactly going to kick you out are they :rolleyes:
Reply 12

Econometrics is the statistical part of economics. It's not a big part of most undergraduate degrees, maybe 1/8th of your 2+3rd years. Amusing to see you referring to statistics as a common complaint from my psychology friends during undergrad was that "it's all statistics!". :biggrin:

Behavioral economics would come pretty close. A lot of microeconomics is boardering mathematical models of how people behave.

I suggest you study psychology however. You're essentially fighting other students for the rights for the top marks in the game and you have to be motivated.
(edited 11 years ago)
You could easily do pyschology at uni with your a-levels, most courses don't ask for pysch at a-level but do like maths and bio.

It's your life, do what you want with it. Ok economics might be a more respected degree, but it's not like you want to do a mickey-mouse degree that's pointless.
Reply 14
Don't know why he was negged? being forced to study anything is horrendous - I wouldn't tolerate personally but there you go.

There is a branch of economics known as behavioural economics (or behavioural finance) which will tip-toe into psychology. But it won't be in pure form at all.

The downside is that you'd be lucky to find advanced modules of this in a Bachelor's degree. I know nottingham have two behavioural economics courses in the undergraduate economics course however!
It's probably due to the high career prospects with an economics degree and money but psychology has good prospects aswell I suppose.

Just study what you prefer

I think your parents are trying to do what they think is best
Reply 16
I would try and insist with my parents tbh. If i were forced to study economics (I did study psychology at high school and fell in love with it) I would be the most unhappy person in the world. You should explain to your parents that although it might give you financial stability (if any) it certainly wouldn't make you happy, and wealth is of no use if it doesn't come with happyness. I knew a famous lawyer, where I live, he had money, a beautiful house and a stunning wife. He ended up in a psychiatric hospital for a major depression which came after he realised he would have wanted to become a guitar player or something. That might have been the wrong choice for him, but the "safe" alternative he took didn't turn out to be for his best. Do not give up with your parents.

Ps. There's an amazing book (and film) about this matter fo studying economics pushed by parents. Veronica decides to die, by Paulo Coelho. It's enlightening, see if you can find a synopsis or something :wink:

I don't know, but there is an interesting stream of research being done by this guy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Kahneman

Watch his Ted videos, it's pretty cool stuff.
Reply 18
By law they can't force you, if you are over 18 years old.

Just talk to them and tell them that your dream is Psychology etc.

= Hopefully they will change their mind and let you do that, if not think about it all in detail and do it, even if they don't want too.

Because it is YOUR life and this is a big step for you, so actually I would've went for Psychology in your case so you don't feel like you have to fake it all to your own parents....
**** your parents, think about yourself, its your future.

Quick Reply