The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cpdavis
What where their reasons for not giving you a vac scheme place? At least they have been helpful :h:

When's the deadline?

Think I told you - the scenario question (and I didn't appear to have much teamwork stuff on my application; it's only after seeing that everyone else has put Year 6 swimming certificates on that I realise how much detail I need to go into!). Almost everyone has a deadline of 31 July.

Oh that makes sense about the fees. Although wouldn't that mean smaller firms would have less competition? And how much would the fees be usually?

Maybe. It's pretty much standard that the big firms will pay your fees (and a maintenance grant of £5,000-£7,000 per year!), but the little firms know that people are so desperate for a training contract that they'll take what they can get. I'm hoping that, worst case scenario, I'll be able to find a few smaller firms up here where I'm not competing with the Oxbridge crowd - smaller firms like links to the region because it shows you're sticking around!

Well done for phone interview :awesome: although it sounds like a long long process :sadnod: hopefully you'll get good news :biggrin: are you applying to form where you got a vac scheme? :hugs:

Unfortunately not - they don't pay fees so they only recruit a year in advance, which means you have to have done the LPC before you apply. You can self-fund the LPC (I think it's about £10,000), but it's risky because you may still not get a training contract; worse is the fact that some very big firms (like Freshfields, the official provider of legal advice for the Olympics, so you've probably heard of them!) have their own tailored "accelerated" LPC delivered by a certain law school. You have to go to that provider if you want a TC with them, so going to "the wrong one" instantly closes a lot of doors...

My initial Plan B was to become a paralegal and do admin within a firm, studying the LPC part-time while working there. A few firms say that if you prove yourself in the office, they'll give you a training contract (although you have to be sure that they mean it!). The problem is that there's an excess of LPC graduates who can't find training contracts, so now most paralegal jobs expect you to have done the LPC already too!
Original post by ViceVersa
Watched the new episode from the new season of The Real L Word this morning :smile:

I don't think I've heard of it. What is it? What is it about?

I'm running out of things to watch this summer. All I really have on my Sky+ box is endless episodes of Family Guy lol. Oh and a couple of episodes of The Bachelor that I've missed.
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk

I'm running out of things to watch this summer. All I really have on my Sky+ box is endless episodes of Family Guy lol. Oh and a couple of episodes of The Bachelor that I've missed.

I didn't even realise this was still going.. I didn't hear good things about it though. Is it as bad as they say? I might have to try get hold of it and have a gander..
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk

It's really good. Basically like The L Word but it's a reality series. Lesbians just living their life but it's funny, has drama in it, lots. Took one episode to get into it but then I loved it! Would definitely recommend :yes:

An amazing person on YouTube has put them all up which is awesome, or you can find it online (:ninja:).

He/She has them all on their channel. First season episode 1 is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TUoqceMQZU
I found some inspiration after all :biggrin:

Looks pretty good :biggrin: (even if I might be bragging a bit haha)

Spoiler

And I didn't burn my fingers this time! :woo:
Original post by FrozenCharlotte

Looks pretty good :biggrin: (even if I might be bragging a bit haha)

Spoiler

And I didn't burn my fingers this time! :woo:

:sogood:

:eating:

8:30pm - FrozenCharlotte has made lunch. :p:

Looks good though; I'd eat it (despite having just eaten!). :yum:
:sogood:

:eating:

Good choice of smileys hehe It DID taste so damn good :tongue:

I'm having apple pie for dessert. I treat myself poorly...:colone:

If I don't cut it in academia..I might open my own pub and cook :hmmmm: (I'm actually considering it as a plan B just in case :giggle:)
Original post by Tortious
8:30pm - FrozenCharlotte has made lunch. :p:

Looks good though; I'd eat it (despite having just eaten!). :yum:

Well, inspiration is a wayward creature! (a hard-learned lesson haha)

I was actually going to say "Here is a picture of my lunch turned dinner" but dropped it somewhere along the way :P
(edited 11 years ago)
Rewatching "The Walking Dead." God, I love all things zombie.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Good choice of smileys hehe It DID taste so damn good :tongue:

I'm having apple pie for dessert. I treat myself poorly...:colone:

If I don't cut it in academia..I might open my own pub and cook :hmmmm: (I'm actually considering it as a plan B just in case :giggle:)

I usually do :yep:

Apple Pie :yucky: Sorry, don't like it :no:

Go orn go orn! Give me directions if you ever do :colone:
I usually do :yep:

Apple Pie :yucky: Sorry, don't like it :no:

Go orn go orn! Give me directions if you ever do :colone:

I've just experienced the strangest case of déjà vu - I'm convinced someone's made this post (especially the "give me directions" part) before!

It might've been BioFurMatPhyStudent if not you...
Well, inspiration is a wayward creature! (a hard-learned lesson haha)

I was actually going to say "Here is a picture of my lunch turned dinner" but dropped it somewhere along the way :P

I made the joke thinking the photo was from hours ago but you'd only just gotten around to uploading it. This is awkward. :p:

The most important question is: what would you call it? :beard:
Yeah! I've realised all pubs I've seen/been around Lancaster are named after men...or animals or shoes xD Do I detect a market gap? :gasp:

Now I just have to think of the name :hmmmm2:
I made the joke thinking the photo was from hours ago but you'd only just gotten around to uploading it. This is awkward. :p:

The most important question is: what would you call it? :beard:

Hahahaha I just saw this post after I wrote about the pubs' names thing! That's funny xD
Yeah...what can I call it? =O
Yeah! I've realised all pubs I've seen/been around Lancaster are named after men...or animals or shoes xD Do I detect a market gap? :gasp:

Now I just have to think of the name :hmmmm2:

Name it after Sappho - it'll go over the heads of the breeders. :wink:

(I'm kidding. That'd be a bit weird. :indiff:)
In a very good mood .awesome:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone App
Name it after Sappho - it'll go over the heads of the breeders. :wink:

(I'm kidding. That'd be a bit weird. :indiff:)

Hahaha perhaps! It'd be a good reference to my supposedly Greek ancestry, though. But I'm going to find an Irish or British folk character whose shenanigans I like and name it after her :colone:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by cpdavis
In a very good mood .awesome:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone App

:beer:!
Hahaha perhaps! It'd be a good reference to my supposedly Greek ancestry, though. But I'm going to find an Irish or British folk character whose shenanigans I like and name it after her :colone:

I quite like the name "Shenanigans", tbh. :dontknow:

*Thinks*

Latest