The Student Room Group

Milgram's Obedience Study.........

Have been looking at this as part of my Psychology studies and just realised that they did a version of this on Big Brother! Though it isn't actually acceptable to carry this out anymore as it goes against Psychological Ethics.
I think its a really interesting study, and really shows the lengths people will go to when given orders from a higher power!

Just found it interesting and thought I'd share!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
lol big brother
Reply 2
people still watch that show?
Reply 3
A lot of studies go against ethics, what was the version on big brother like? P.S I didn't even know BB still existed.
Original post by lazydazy
Have been looking at this as part of my Psychology studies and just realised that they did a version of this on Big Brother! Though it isn't actually acceptable to carry this out anymore as it goes against Psychological Ethics.
I think its a really interesting study, and really shows the lengths people will go to when given orders from a higher power!

Just found it interesting and thought I'd share!!

I think a scientifically sounds version was done on french TV, although there was some contraversy over the ethics of it. Tv shows can do what they like (this is how derren brown gets to replicate the study), but to actually have it published in a psychology journal it needs ethics aproval. I can link you the article if your interested.
Reply 5
Original post by mel0n
A lot of studies go against ethics, what was the version on big brother like? P.S I didn't even know BB still existed.

It involved 3 "housemates" being Scientists, and 3 being subjects. The scientists were ordered to ask the subjects questions, and for everyone they got wrong, they would get a shock, gradually increasing. The subjects were told to get every question wrong and pretend to be shocked. They would pass the task if the Scientists stopped the experiment before the max voltage.

Big Brother or not; still very interesting!
Reply 6
Original post by iammichealjackson
I think a scientifically sounds version was done on french TV, although there was some contraversy over the ethics of it. Tv shows can do what they like (this is how derren brown gets to replicate the study), but to actually have it published in a psychology journal it needs ethics aproval. I can link you the article if your interested.

Yeah that would be great!
Reply 7
Original post by lazydazy
It involved 3 "housemates" being Scientists, and 3 being subjects. The scientists were ordered to ask the subjects questions, and for everyone they got wrong, they would get a shock, gradually increasing. The subjects were told to get every question wrong and pretend to be shocked. They would pass the task if the Scientists stopped the experiment before the max voltage.

Big Brother or not; still very interesting!

Sounds pretty much the same. I guess there are ways of working round the ethics and such methods are usually implemented in the real studies themselves like debriefing, free to leave whenever you wish etc etc. And perhaps those on the show have to consent to any sort of study taking place while they're on the show, I dunno what their contract must be like :p:

What were the 'results' like? How did the participants react?
Reply 8
Original post by mel0n
Sounds pretty much the same. I guess there are ways of working round the ethics and such methods are usually implemented in the real studies themselves like debriefing, free to leave whenever you wish etc etc. And perhaps those on the show have to consent to any sort of study taking place while they're on the show, I dunno what their contract must be like :p:

What were the 'results' like? How did the participants react?

Yeah the contract most likely consents to anythin the TV show want!

The Scientists were really empathetic and stopped the experiment quite early!

Makes you wonder how far you'd go. Obviously most of us would think that we would stop I pretty early on, it's hard to tell with all that pressure from the authorities figure.

there is quite a lot of interesting new "takes" on Milgram's research. People have found, for example, that he didn't do exactly what he told the press/psychology journals and when pps demanded that the scientist would check on the wellbeing of the person getting shocked, the "scientist" would pretend to go see if he was okay. I think there has also been a replication where for ethical reasons they only went upto 120V where they finished the experiment, and another study looked at a computer simulated version of the experiment.

Anyway, here's the link:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1162908812000230
And i've attached the pdf since you probs can't download it without a uni access thing.
Reply 10
there is quite a lot of interesting new "takes" on Milgram's research. People have found, for example, that he didn't do exactly what he told the press/psychology journals and when pps demanded that the scientist would check on the wellbeing of the person getting shocked, the "scientist" would pretend to go see if he was okay. I think there has also been a replication where for ethical reasons they only went upto 120V where they finished the experiment, and another study looked at a computer simulated version of the experiment.

Anyway, here's the link:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1162908812000230
And i've attached the pdf since you probs can't download it without a uni access thing.

Thanks. I'll have a read now :smile:

Reply 11
I remember seeing this actually. I got excited :blushing:
Reply 12
Original post by Dbrown18
I remember seeing this actually. I got excited :blushing:

I didn't even realise until I did the course today!

Reply 13
They did one on conformity to. Slightly similar to asch. The one where the all pretended they were under hypnosis, and had to "become" animals. Tricked scott into it.
Reply 14
Original post by Dbrown18
They did one on conformity to. Slightly similar to asch. The one where the all pretended they were under hypnosis, and had to "become" animals. Tricked scott into it.

Really? I must have missed that one!

Whilst we're on the topic of people stealing psychological studies for corporate gain, has anyone seen this advert?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc8vxx6J5Xw

Its completely ripped off (Mischel, W, & Gilligan, C. (1964). Delay of gratification, motivation
for the prohibited gratification, and responses to temptation. Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology, 69, 411-417)
this study. I wonder if Walter Mischel got any royalties from it?
Reply 16
Whilst we're on the topic of people stealing psychological studies for corporate gain, has anyone seen this advert?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc8vxx6J5Xw

Its completely ripped off (Mischel, W, & Gilligan, C. (1964). Delay of gratification, motivation
for the prohibited gratification, and responses to temptation. Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology, 69, 411-417)
this study. I wonder if Walter Mischel got any royalties from it?

I'll have a look......

Reply 17
Hello everyone I would like to transfer to 2nd year of spychology to a different university, I don't know whether to go to Royal Holloway, Southampton or Lancaster...what do you think? I am an International student (italian) so I would like to go to a place that has a good mix of people thanks!!
Reply 18
Derren Brown also did a version of the Milgram experiment.

And yeh, the Mischel experiment got completely ripped off by that advert. Wasn't it a condom advert or sexual health advert or something?

EDIT: ok, just looked at the link that was put up a few posts ago, and that definitely wasn't the advert I was thinking of! haha

EDIT2: the ad I was thinking of was the one on rudetube's viral ads episode. Sadly the link on the website doesn't work :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19

I remember reading that in 'The Psychologist' magazine. I think they cut it off the air half way through the show. The ethics of the French Psychological Society differ a bit from the BPS.

Quick Reply

Latest