The Student Room Group

Hijab/headscarf allowed in Hospital?

OK so I'm a student hopefully doing some hospital work experience soon - probably going to be in theatre as well(I've been told I'll be supplied with scrubs) due to the nature of the placement.

I wanted to know whether it is OK for me to wear a Hijab/muslim headscarf whilst I'm doing the placement? Is it allowed? Are there any (strict) guidelines as to what I am allowed to wear(bearing in mind only my hair will be covered, not my face, so there won't be any ID issues).

I'm kinda worried about this - I don't want to end up being told off on my first day for 'Health and safety' issues :s-smilie:

Also (this might seem like a silly question) what's the procedure for changing into scrubs? Do they hand you scrubs-->you change in a changing room-->you put your stuff away? Does this mean I'll be allowed to wear casual clothes (i.e. jeans etc) to and from the hospital?

Sorry for all the silly questions :colondollar: any help will be much appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've seen women wear it in the hospital.
Reply 2
Original post by .inspiron1
I've seen women wear it in the hospital.

Really? Is it a specific type?
Reply 3
Original post by Teapot3
Really? Is it a specific type?

The specific hospital may have guidelines available online. For example Sheffield teaching hospitals allow them everywhere but theatre. See 2.7 and 5.4.8. (http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.29489!/file/DressCodePolicy.pdf)
Reply 4
In the London hospitals I've shadowed in I've seen female doctors in headscarves on wards, but not theatres. Ask your hospital specifically.

As for scrubs and changing rooms- you go into the communal changing room, picking up a pair of scrubs from the cupboard. You then either get changed in front of everyone or go into one of the toilet/shower cubicles, putting your stuff in a locker/ hanging it up/ folding it and leaving it on the side as the room is strewn with random clothing and bags.

First day- obviously still go in formal wear. There's no guarantee that you'll go straight to theatre- they may want to take you to the wards first, and that can't exactly happen if you look scruffy. You can then check what the procedure will be for the rest of the week.

I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself. Theatre work experience is great. :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by Teapot3
OK so I'm a student hopefully doing some hospital work experience soon - probably going to be in theatre as well(I've been told I'll be supplied with scrubs) due to the nature of the placement.

I wanted to know whether it is OK for me to wear a Hijab/muslim headscarf whilst I'm doing the placement? Is it allowed? Are there any (strict) guidelines as to what I am allowed to wear(bearing in mind only my hair will be covered, not my face, so there won't be any ID issues).

I'm kinda worried about this - I don't want to end up being told off on my first day for 'Health and safety' issues :s-smilie:

Also (this might seem like a silly question) what's the procedure for changing into scrubs? Do they hand you scrubs-->you change in a changing room-->you put your stuff away? Does this mean I'll be allowed to wear casual clothes (i.e. jeans etc) to and from the hospital?

Sorry for all the silly questions :colondollar: any help will be much appreciated.

There will be provision made, obviously you won't be able to wear any non surgical head covering in theatre, but I have seen hijabis wear the orthopaedic style surgical hat things that cover everything.

You will go into hospital, go into theatres, pick up a pair of scrubs outside or inside the changing rooms and change there. You won't have a locker, guaranteed. Do not take anything valuable. I naively wore an Aquascutum shirt on my first surgical placement, got nicked out of theatre.

I wouldn't turn up to work in jeans. You will probably bump into people from your team going in/out as you won't have an ID badge/access and that isn't the impression you want to give.
As long as it's a simple headscarf that won't obscure your face or have bits that fly around (ie there's nothing hanging loose), it shouldn't be an issue in most places.

I wouldn't wear casual clothes if this is your work experience (if this was a job, nobody would really care) - there may be times where you're not in theatres and on a ward (the hospital/trust may also have a policy on theatre blues not to be worn outside of theatres/ITU). It'll look pretty bad on you if your shadowing a doctor and you're wearing jeans.
Reply 7
Original post by Teapot3

You are allowed to wear the hijab (though may be expected to take it off in theatre and wear a theatre hat instead), but you will have to be bare below the elbows.

As for scrubs, usually they're in a rack either in the changing rooms or just outside. If you are going to be wearing them all day then you can come in in casual clothes, but as a student there's no guarantee of that, so you may need to wear smart clothes. You will most likely only wear scrubs in theatre, labour ward, ICU and maybe A&E as a student, the rest of the time you will be in your own clothes.

Edit: I missed that this was for work experience. In that case, go in wearing smart clothes and follow whatever the rest of your team does.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Actually, come to think of it, I saw a surgeon wearing (what looked like) a turban underneath a specially-adapted theatre hat once. It was red instead of blue, if that helps? So there's a possibility that they may allow that? Maybe it was an orthopaedic one... :s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Pandabär
In the London hospitals I've shadowed in I've seen female doctors in headscarves on wards, but not theatres. Ask your hospital specifically.

As for scrubs and changing rooms- you go into the communal changing room, picking up a pair of scrubs from the cupboard. You then either get changed in front of everyone or go into one of the toilet/shower cubicles, putting your stuff in a locker/ hanging it up/ folding it and leaving it on the side as the room is strewn with random clothing and bags.

First day- obviously still go in formal wear. There's no guarantee that you'll go straight to theatre- they may want to take you to the wards first, and that can't exactly happen if you look scruffy. You can then check what the procedure will be for the rest of the week.

I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself. Theatre work experience is great. :biggrin:

Ah right I see :smile: So you might be able to wear it on ward but you'd probably have to take it off in theaters even if you were observing? I'm going to be at a London hosp too. And yes, I think formal wear would probably be best for my first day at least. And are the communal changing rooms for men and women seperate?

Any specific tips for theatre work exp? I've heard that *some* surgeons can be very intimidating :s-smilie:

Original post by Norton1
The specific hospital may have guidelines available online. For example Sheffield teaching hospitals allow them everywhere but theatre. See 2.7 and 5.4.8. (http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.29489!/file/DressCodePolicy.pdf)

Thanks. I'll try and see if I can find any guideline :smile:

Original post by digitalis
There will be provision made, obviously you won't be able to wear any non surgical head covering in theatre, but I have seen hijabis wear the orthopaedic style surgical hat things that cover everything.

You will go into hospital, go into theatres, pick up a pair of scrubs outside or inside the changing rooms and change there. You won't have a locker, guaranteed. Do not take anything valuable. I naively wore an Aquascutum shirt on my first surgical placement, got nicked out of theatre.

I wouldn't turn up to work in jeans. You will probably bump into people from your team going in/out as you won't have an ID badge/access and that isn't the impression you want to give.

Ah right :smile: Although surely if I wasn't actually assisting with anything and was just observing, I wouldn't get an orthopedic style hat? And yeah I think it's probably best to stick to formal wear:smile:

Original post by arcl
As long as it's a simple headscarf that won't obscure your face or have bits that fly around (ie there's nothing hanging loose), it shouldn't be an issue in most places.

I wouldn't wear casual clothes if this is your work experience (if this was a job, nobody would really care) - there may be times where you're not in theatres and on a ward (the hospital/trust may also have a policy on theatre blues not to be worn outside of theatres/ITU). It'll look pretty bad on you if your shadowing a doctor and you're wearing jeans.

Yeah casual clothes would probably give off the wrong impression haha - I've decided against wearing casual clothes now, I'll stick to formal wear :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Helenia
You are allowed to wear the hijab (though may be expected to take it off in theatre and wear a theatre hat instead), but you will have to be bare below the elbows.

As for scrubs, usually they're in a rack either in the changing rooms or just outside. If you are going to be wearing them all day then you can come in in casual clothes, but as a student there's no guarantee of that, so you may need to wear smart clothes. You will most likely only wear scrubs in theatre, labour ward, ICU and maybe A&E as a student, the rest of the time you will be in your own clothes.

Edit: I missed that this was for work experience. In that case, go in wearing smart clothes and follow whatever the rest of your team does.

Ah right I see :smile: although I though theatre hats were reserved only for people who were assisting with the surgery and not watching from afar?
Original post by Teapot3

Ah right :smile: Although surely if I wasn't actually assisting with anything and was just observing, I wouldn't get an orthopedic style hat? And yeah I think it's probably best to stick to formal wear:smile:

There are stacks of disposable ones in all changing rooms. Point I'm trying to make is that you won't be allowed to wear your headscarf within the theatre environment at all.
Reply 12
Original post by digitalis
There are stacks of disposable ones in all changing rooms. Point I'm trying to make is that you won't be allowed to wear your headscarf within the theatre environment at all.

I see. And what about wards?
Reply 13
Why not? I've seen nuns at some hospitals.
Reply 14
Original post by Spaz Man
Why not? I've seen nuns at some hospitals.

In theaters/wards? As students/doctors?
Reply 15
Original post by Teapot3
Ah right I see :smile: although I though theatre hats were reserved only for people who were assisting with the surgery and not watching from afar?

Everyone in theatre has to wear a hat. They aren't rationed! And of course there are separate male/female changing rooms. :smile: On the ward you will be able to wear a hijab but make sure you follow the bare below the elbows rules.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire S
Reply 16
Original post by Teapot3
In theaters/wards? As students/doctors?

In wards. They were definitely part of the staff but I'm not sure in what capacity.
Reply 17
Original post by Helenia
Everyone in theatre has to wear a hat. They aren't rationed! And of course there are separate male/female changing rooms. :smile: On the ward you will be able to wear a hijab but make sure you follow the bare below the elbows rules.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire S

Oh right! Thanks :smile: I'm presuming that scrubs are mostly worn in theaters only as opposed to on the wards (or does this vary for every hospital)? (sorry for asking the same questions over and over again - this is my first placement so I'm a bit clueless atm and I want to make a good impression! :colondollar: )
Original post by Teapot3
Ah right I see :smile: So you might be able to wear it on ward but you'd probably have to take it off in theaters even if you were observing? I'm going to be at a London hosp too. And yes, I think formal wear would probably be best for my first day at least. And are the communal changing rooms for men and women seperate?

Any specific tips for theatre work exp? I've heard that *some* surgeons can be very intimidating :s-smilie:

There should be separate changing rooms. Even if there isn't, just ask if it's OK for you to pop out into the toilets to change.

It may be worth (if not done already and if possible) introducing yourself and making it clear you are a work experience student, it's more difficult to tell in scrubs who's who and you're less likely to be shouted at to do something - I've been mistaken for a Charge Nurse, SHO and a medical student while in scrubs (I was also quizzed about local anaesthetics when the consultant thought I was a medical student)
Reply 19
Original post by arcl
There should be separate changing rooms. Even if there isn't, just ask if it's OK for you to pop out into the toilets to change.

It may be worth (if not done already and if possible) introducing yourself and making it clear you are a work experience student, it's more difficult to tell in scrubs who's who and you're less likely to be shouted at to do something - I've been mistaken for a Charge Nurse, SHO and a medical student while in scrubs (I was also quizzed about local anaesthetics when the consultant thought I was a medical student)

Haha thats one of my biggest worries - being mistaken for a medstudent/doc and being grilled by the consultants! Hopefully that won't happen too often though :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending