The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Student accommodation in London

Hi everyone,

I'm going to LSE for the 2012-2013 academic year and I'm looking for a place to stay. I've narrowed it down to these two places:

http://www.gradpadlondon.com/live/wood-lane-studios/

http://www.iq-student-accommodation.com/student-accommodation/shoreditch

I've only been to London once 4 years ago so I'm not very familiar with the place. Which area is a safer place to live? Which place is more convenient in terms of getting to LSE? I should probably add that I'm a 26-year-old female from Singapore.

Thanks for reading.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by tripwires
I should probably add that I'm a 26-year-old female from Singapore.

Why would that change the answers to the above questions? :smile:
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
I would go for the second one near Old Street station. The area is much more trendy, vibrant, diverse and popular with young people. It is also slightly closer to LSE and other parts of central London. It is safe, but due to it being a popular nightlife location you should be careful at night if walking around on your own.

The first one is in Shepherd's Bush which is an area that's good for shopping due to the big mall situated in the middle of it. It is a lot less interesting though and there's not much to do at night. Lots Again it is safe but there are some notorious social housing areas nearby (e.g. White City estate) that are a bit deprived and might be scary to walk through at night,
Reply 3
Original post by Tycho
Why would that change the answers to the above questions? :smile:

Singaporeans are generally sheltered and freak out at the slightest scuffle in a foreign country. Being Singaporean AND female pretty much makes one incredibly sheltered. :tongue:

Original post by tsnake23
I would go for the second one near Old Street station. The area is much more trendy, vibrant, diverse and popular with young people. It is also slightly closer to LSE and other parts of central London. It is safe, but due to it being a popular nightlife location you should be careful at night if walking around on your own.

The first one is in Shepherd's Bush which is an area that's good for shopping due to the big mall situated in the middle of it. It is a lot less interesting though and there's not much to do at night. Lots Again it is safe but there are some notorious social housing areas nearby (e.g. White City estate) that are a bit deprived and might be scary to walk through at night,

Thanks. I prefer the location of the second one as well as it appears to be nearer to LSE. The only issue is that it's slightly more expensive than a first one and the pound, while not as strong as before, continues to murder my currency. :frown:

I'm also looking at one near Elephant and Castle tube station (Dashwood Studios). Is that area a good place to live? I read that it's in Southwark where the Globe Theatre is. :biggrin:
Reply 4
Singaporeans are generally sheltered and freak out at the slightest scuffle in a foreign country. Being Singaporean AND female pretty much makes one incredibly sheltered. :tongue:

Thanks. I prefer the location of the second one as well as it appears to be nearer to LSE. The only issue is that it's slightly more expensive than a first one and the pound, while not as strong as before, continues to murder my currency. :frown:

I'm also looking at one near Elephant and Castle tube station (Dashwood Studios). Is that area a good place to live? I read that it's in Southwark where the Globe Theatre is. :biggrin:

Elephant and Castle is quite run down and has a bad reputation for crime. It is better now than it was a few years ago but I would still choose the other 2 options over that one.
Hi everyone,

I'm going to LSE for the 2012-2013 academic year and I'm looking for a place to stay. I've narrowed it down to these two places:

http://www.gradpadlondon.com/live/wood-lane-studios/

http://www.iq-student-accommodation.com/student-accommodation/shoreditch

I've only been to London once 4 years ago so I'm not very familiar with the place. Which area is a safer place to live? Which place is more convenient in terms of getting to LSE? I should probably add that I'm a 26-year-old female from Singapore.

Thanks for reading.

Hi tripwires,

My names Frankie I work for UNITE, a student accommodation provider.

I'm here to give help and advice to TSR users with accommodation through UNITE whilst they are at University.

I noticed your post and thought a response might be helpful as we have several properties in London, three of which are within a mile of LSE.

The properties are available to view online here: www.unite-students.com/london, and if you’d like me to get you some more information just send me a message.
Hope this helps.

Frankie

Quick Reply

Latest