The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

The UEA Question Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hey question about nursing courses (hope it belongs here)
I was wondering if there is a timetable anywhere of what the week will look like (eg days in school or not in school) because I know some days we are in, and others we are not. And it would be really helpful to know in advance exactly what days.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 461
Original post by fabbykadabra
Hey question about nursing courses (hope it belongs here)
I was wondering if there is a timetable anywhere of what the week will look like (eg days in school or not in school) because I know some days we are in, and others we are not. And it would be really helpful to know in advance exactly what days.

Timetables changes every year - even if you do have a day off, it might not be the same day off as the previous 1st year nursing students had. Most subjects release their timetable around freshers week, though you may well get it earlier as a med student. It definitely won't be available yet, though.
Just wondering, what are the washing machines like in the launderette? Are they like industrial machines or like machines you'd have at home?
Thanks. :smile:
Original post by Crystal_Heart
Just wondering, what are the washing machines like in the launderette? Are they like industrial machines or like machines you'd have at home?
Thanks. :smile:

Industrial ones. And the settings are simpler than my machine at home, instead of lots of numbers you have 6 settings the main ones being hot warm and cold.
Original post by jelly1000
Industrial ones. And the settings are simpler than my machine at home, instead of lots of numbers you have 6 settings the main ones being hot warm and cold.

Thanks for quick reply! How long does it take, and how much is it to wash and/or tumbledry?
Original post by Crystal_Heart
Thanks for quick reply! How long does it take, and how much is it to wash and/or tumbledry?

Think its around 35 minutes for the slower washes, and around half that for the faster ones (cant be 100% sure as I never used the fast wash, I just saw machines that were on the fast programme) and 10 mins per tumble dry cycle. Cost is currently £2.20 for a wash and £0.50 for a 10 mins tumble dry cycle, although you may find this isn't enough to dry things and you need to put it on for 20 mins. And I believe the price goes up every year so it may be a bit more expensive when you go.
Reply 466
Hello again- I have a question about food expenses. Since UEA doesn't provide catering, approximately how much would one spend on food? Are groceries available on campus? Is eating out very expensive?
Original post by avignon
Hello again- I have a question about food expenses. Since UEA doesn't provide catering, approximately how much would one spend on food? Are groceries available on campus? Is eating out very expensive?

It's totally up to you- I usually spent around £15pw on a Tesco delievery. There is a small grocery store on campus- the UFO, but that is fairly expensive and only has limited stock. Most students get a Tesco or Asda delivery or go to Morrisons near the train station.
Original post by avignon

As for eating out, it depends where you're going. Standard prices for chains like pizza hut and nandos in the city, while the food at Zest (the restaurant on campus) is pretty cheap, usually you can get a 2 course meal for £5 and the food is pretty decent. There's also the wetherspoon's in town where you can get a decent meal for about £5. I'd recommend getting a bus pass as you'll probably end up going into town quite a bit and it is £4 for a return or £5 for a day ticket, which really adds to the cost of your shopping.
Reply 469
Thank you for your replies.
Do they deliver groceries to your room? or is there a pick up point somewhere on campus?
Is a bus pass like an Oyster card?
Original post by avignon
Thank you for your replies.
Do they deliver groceries to your room? or is there a pick up point somewhere on campus?
Is a bus pass like an Oyster card?

They deliever to outside the block, or as near to it as they can get, and then its up to you to carry the things up to your room.
And the bus pass is like a paper ticket except you keep it and you just wave it at the driver every time you go.
They deliever to outside the block, or as near to it as they can get, and then its up to you to carry the things up to your room.
And the bus pass is like a paper ticket except you keep it and you just wave it at the driver every time you go.

So we'll essentially be paying a couple of hundred quid for a piece of paper that we're meant to keep safe and not rip for the whole year? ...I struggle to keep a bus ticket intact for one day, let alone a whole school year!
Original post by StefanieLouise
So we'll essentially be paying a couple of hundred quid for a piece of paper that we're meant to keep safe and not rip for the whole year? ...I struggle to keep a bus ticket intact for one day, let alone a whole school year!

They give it to you in a little wallet thing to protect it, like the oyster card holders, and you have a photo in the window opposite.

You can buy insurance for it which I think is £20 extra. It's kinda like soft card with a plastic front so it's a lot harder to rip than a paper bus ticket. As long as you keep it in the wallet you shouldn't have to worry about it ripping...keeping it safe is a whole other matter :tongue: But I just only took it with me when I knew I was getting the bus that day, otherwise it'd be in my room safe. Because unless you live in MCC/private housing or have a job I doubt you'll be getting the bus daily. I never bothered with insurance, but it's worth it if you tend to lose things.
(edited 11 years ago)

The plastic wallets are pretty sturdy and the insurance is £25 quid, though I'd recommend getting the 10 month pass they're doing this year unless you're living in Norwich over the summer, which is £195.
Reply 475
Sounds good! The 10 month pass would be worth it if you go into town once a week. Do students do that on a fairly regular basis? It probably depends, of course, but do students generally stay on campus on weekends, for example?
Original post by avignon
Sounds good! The 10 month pass would be worth it if you go into town once a week. Do students do that on a fairly regular basis? It probably depends, of course, but do students generally stay on campus on weekends, for example?

I can't speak for everyone, but I found myself going into town at least twice a week towards the end of the year, once for a nandos on monday which became something of a routine (though the staff never ceased to be surprised when 20 odd hungry chemists appeared in their restaurant) and once to morrison's for food shopping.

You can stay on campus at the weekend, and I mostly did, as there is a pretty good amount to do (though as I had 9am starts all week, I tended to get up around midday at weekends). The sportspark is pretty reasonably priced, especially if you do something like badminton with a group. I'd also recommend the pub on saturday night from about 9, as they have lower prices before the LCR club night (this happens Tuesday as well) and the pub quiz sunday night.

Oh, and you'll probably use the bus pass a lot during the exam time, as nothing quite takes the edge off after an exam like the pub-cinema-arcade circuit.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 477
Next year I'm getting a bus pass, didn't anticipate how much I would spent on bus fare...

As I go into town a minumum of once a week (and wanted to go more but the bus fare put me off) I reckon it'll be worth it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 478
Is anybody currently on the media and politics course at UEA as I think I'm applying for 2013 entry, and what is the city of Norwich like?

I'm from Manchester so I'm used to a pretty busy/hectic atmosphere.

Original post by chrisawhitmore
The plastic wallets are pretty sturdy and the insurance is £25 quid, though I'd recommend getting the 10 month pass they're doing this year unless you're living in Norwich over the summer, which is £195.

Original post by makingamemory
You can buy insurance for it which I think is £20 extra. It's kinda like soft card with a plastic front so it's a lot harder to rip than a paper bus ticket. As long as you keep it in the wallet you shouldn't have to worry about it ripping...keeping it safe is a whole other matter :tongue: But I just only took it with me when I knew I was getting the bus that day, otherwise it'd be in my room safe. Because unless you live in MCC/private housing or have a job I doubt you'll be getting the bus daily. I never bothered with insurance, but it's worth it if you tend to lose things.

They give it to you in a little wallet thing to protect it, like the oyster card holders, and you have a photo in the window opposite.

Ahhhh right then, well that makes a lot more sense. From what was said, I literally thought they just gave you a regular bus ticket for the whole year and was a bit WHAT WHAT THE HELL OH MY GOD. I don't tend to lose things much, but I'll still be getting the insurance, I was just worried because I carry so much crap in my bag that things tend to get a bit bashed about.

Original post by caldinio
Is anybody currently on the media and politics course at UEA as I think I'm applying for 2013 entry, and what is the city of Norwich like?

I'm from Manchester so I'm used to a pretty busy/hectic atmosphere.

I'm not on the course but the course profile on the website will really tell you all you need to know about the course. I literally spent ages reading through level two and three modules for so many courses before I made my decision, which is a lot better than at some uni's where you don't even know what later modules you'll have until you finish your first year, which can be really irritating if there are specific areas you want to study.

I can tell you however that the atmosphere in Norwich will be in no way comparable to what you'd get in Manchester, and I'm sure everyone will tell you the same. If you want a change from that atmosphere, then great, you'll probably love UEA as everyone seems to. But if it's something you'd want to stick to then I think you'd be better off looking at similar courses in more typical "city" universities. Although that's certainly not the say that Norwich is boring, it just depends what you're into. Hopefully someone a bit more helpful/knowledgeable can come along and point you in the right direction though.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending