The Student Room Group

Tattoo Appreciation Soc. Tattoo Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by WhyteBoar
Sounds good.

I usually change to an unscented lotion once it peels completely, or just about completely :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC One X

Thanks for this. I'm still wrapping it at night when I've got Bepanthen on it it it sticks to everything but I let it breathe from as soon as I get up until bed. I'm just worried I'll do something stupid to take the ink out!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by colef001
Thanks for this. I'm still wrapping it at night when I've got Bepanthen on it it it sticks to everything but I let it breathe from as soon as I get up until bed. I'm just worried I'll do something stupid to take the ink out!

Did your tattooist asked you to wrap it?
Because I've got already 3 tattoos, and for none, the tattooist asked me to wrap it at night :confused:

Normally, after you have the tattoo finished, tha tattooist wrap it in cling film and ask you to leave it like that for 3hrs. Then wash it with warm water twice a day using a mild-soap (no gel) dry with a clean towel and apply an ointment cream for few weeks (usually until the pealing process finishes)
In my experience all artists are slightly different. For one of my pieces the artist told me to keep it wrapped until it started to peel; which was about four days, and it healed really well. I was very skeptical, it being a wound, but was very impressed with the results.

It is very confusing to know what to do for the best sometimes, particular with the advice you are given varies so much.
Reply 283
I really want a tattoo with the lyrics of a song but I can't pick which line to get. Its been my favourite song for a few years now and picking one line is so difficult. There's this one section which makes me feel so uplifted when I listen to it, here are the lyrics:

Don't let them have their way
You're beautiful and so blase
So please don't let them have their way
Don't fall back into the decay
There is no law we must obey
Don't give in to yesterday

We can build a new tomorrow, today

Any opinions on what bit I should get tattooed... I don't want the whole section as I don't want it to be really visible.
Reply 284
Yeah my artist said to wrap it to stop the sheets sticking to it, but I've had so many people tell me not to wrap it, I'm not sure what to think! :confused:
Yeah my artist said to wrap it to stop the sheets sticking to it, but I've had so many people tell me not to wrap it, I'm not sure what to think! :confused:

If you had the tattoo a few days ago and are only applying a thin layer of Bepanthan or lotion, then I wouldn't worry too much about about anything sticking. People say not to wrap it because it doesn't make sense to keep a wound wrapped in non-breathable plastic.

I have successfully healed tattoos both ways and not had a problem. Don't be too anxious about it. If you are already at the peeling stage then it is well on its way to healing. Just don't pick at it :smile:
Reply 286
Anyone suggest a price for this tattoo without the rope... http://blog.blacklinestudio.ca/2009/12/24/peters-anchor-of-hope/

Honest thoughts on the tattoo.
Reply 287
Have gone without wrapping it tonight. Just wishing it would stop peeling already!

I want to heal so I can shave my leg again! Haha. Serves me right for getting such a big piece done but I love it so it's worth it.

I hope I don't have to go back for a touch up, the part on my foot looks like it might need it, it had to be the most painful part!

Reply 288
Original post by Dan9878
Anyone suggest a price for this tattoo without the rope... http://blog.blacklinestudio.ca/2009/12/24/peters-anchor-of-hope/

Honest thoughts on the tattoo.

It's hard to price because it varies so much from place to place. I think it would take at least an hour and a half and my artist charges £60 an hour, but I live in a small market town so it's not exactly London prices round here. The fact that it's coloured will mean it will take longer as well, you might need two hours.

Honestly, the tattoo itself isn't to my taste but I can see why you like it. I do however prefer it with the rope I think, it gives it a bit more artistic flair. :smile:

Where are you thinking of putting it?
Reply 289
Original post by Jessca
I really want a tattoo with the lyrics of a song but I can't pick which line to get. Its been my favourite song for a few years now and picking one line is so difficult. There's this one section which makes me feel so uplifted when I listen to it, here are the lyrics:

You're beautiful and so blase
Don't fall back into the decay
There is no law we must obey
Don't give in to yesterday

We can build a new tomorrow, today

Any opinions on what bit I should get tattooed... I don't want the whole section as I don't want it to be really visible.

I'm not a big fan of lyric tatt's myself, but out of that I would have "There is no law we must obey" :smile:
Hi! I turned 18 on Friday and I'm thinking of getting a tattoo, I'm a massive Disney nerd so I know what I want -

tattoo.png

I want it quite small - probably 2cmx4cm - is that too small for a tattoo? - and on my back, near my right shoulder. I'm a complete newbie so could anyone give me any advice on how much it'll hurt, how long it's likely to take, maybe a price estimation if possible? Thanks :redface:

EDIT - Realized that that is ridiculously small, is 4x5cm any better?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 291
up-edit1.jpg

Inspiration for my next tattoo
Original post by madders94
Hi! I turned 18 on Friday and I'm thinking of getting a tattoo, I'm a massive Disney nerd so I know what I want -

tattoo.png

I want it quite small - probably 2cmx4cm - is that too small for a tattoo? - and on my back, near my right shoulder. I'm a complete newbie so could anyone give me any advice on how much it'll hurt, how long it's likely to take, maybe a price estimation if possible? Thanks :redface:

EDIT - Realized that that is ridiculously small, is 4x5cm any better?

I wouldn't imagine a small tattoo in one colour would take very long, or cost very much. It would be hard to give an estimate because all places charge different prices.

I wouldn't imagine you'd have any problems with pain for something like that. It'll probably hurt a lot less than you imagine.

Just make sure its really what you want and look at a portfolio of the work the tattooist has done before you make an appointment. Even better if you know someone who have had work done there and you have seen it :smile:
I haven't seen this thread before, but I'll join, tattoos, I feel, are fantastic forms of art and expression. Most of them look brilliant, but I'm a bit tired of seeing stars, hearts, etc painted along the top of the foot up the ankle. I've seen literally dozens of them in the area where I live, but if that's what they want then hell, who am I to complain?

At the moment I've got two (technically three), I've got a chain-ring on my upper back between my shoulder blades with Nihil ausus, nihil lucratus, or "Nothing ventured, nothing gained" written atop it and below I've simply got 'Freeride'.

I'm going to get two others, though, I'm thinking of getting something in Chinese, written down my back in the way they write and having something akin to tribal symbols either coming out of it, snaking around behind it or seperate symbols dotted around it. The second will be a bike chain wrapped around my forearm, though I'm not entirely sure how that's going to work yet, I can't quite get the design right so I might take it to a friend of mine who does tattoo designs and see if he can make something of it. The design in my head is awesome, but I seriously lack the artistic talent in order to make it work. :no:
Reply 294
Guys - a quick question about touch ups and the etiquette that goes with them!

So as my tattoo is healing, I've started to notice parts where sections of the outline have either disappeared completely (beginning to wonder if they were ever there) or are really faint. Most of it looks fine still, it's really just a few tiny areas!

I recall reading on my consent form that the first touch-up is free but is this a legitimate reason to ask for one? They really are tiny gaps but if I've got this forever I want it to be perfect and now I've noticed it, I think it will bother me! I've followed the aftercare to a T so it's not like I've neglected it or done anything wrong deliberately.

Would you expect to pay for a touch-up? Should I tip or something? :/
Booking my two thigh pieces soon :bigsmile:
Guys - a quick question about touch ups and the etiquette that goes with them!

So as my tattoo is healing, I've started to notice parts where sections of the outline have either disappeared completely (beginning to wonder if they were ever there) or are really faint. Most of it looks fine still, it's really just a few tiny areas!

I recall reading on my consent form that the first touch-up is free but is this a legitimate reason to ask for one? They really are tiny gaps but if I've got this forever I want it to be perfect and now I've noticed it, I think it will bother me! I've followed the aftercare to a T so it's not like I've neglected it or done anything wrong deliberately.

Would you expect to pay for a touch-up? Should I tip or something? :/

If it is going to bother you, go back and ask for it to be touched up. I've not had to go for touch yet myself, but I would offer a tip I think.
Reply 297
Original post by WhyteBoar
If it is going to bother you, go back and ask for it to be touched up. I've not had to go for touch yet myself, but I would offer a tip I think.

Yeah I feel like I should offer her something considering I'm taking up her time. Thanks for the reply. :smile:

Reply 298
I have an appointment at 2 to get my tattoo.

I have decided I am going for it.
Reply 299
so I found this design about 6 years ago and I've wanted it ever since.

finally think I might balls up and do it, on my left outer shin.

tribal_dragon3.jpg

would be interested to hear general opinions? thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest