The Student Room Group

Girls underestimating their size.

Scroll to see replies

It's all about vanity sizing and girls not wanting to be insecure about themselves. My friend who has at least DD's told me the other day she was a size 6 on her top half :facepalm:

I'm a size 8-10 but with large breasticles I've been having to buy size 12-16 bikini tops just to cover my boobs - I'd rather something fits. Who's going to stare at your labels anyway?
Reply 61
Original post by jack_the_king
yeah but you are runnign the risk of getting a reputation as the girl who wears big clothes and doesnt watch her figure.

I wear clothes that fit me and I don't gauge my weight gain by my clothes sizes. Honestly, you're a guy so unless you pay close attention to the woman's section of shops you won't understand the variation between shops in terms of size. We really need to standardise sizes because it's ridiculous. This is why women spend so long shopping, guys. So many times I've had to go to the changing room with 3-4 different sizes of the same garment.
Original post by Bellissima
she is very broad, so actually, i would be.

What do you mean? If she was more "broad" than you then you wouldn't be the same size. A size 14 has measurements of around 38'31'41' regardless of height.

You can't argue this, it's fact. Obviously a tall girl may just look generally large and a small girl would look dumpy at this size, but they will have the same measurements, so will be the same size.
Original post by llessur123
What do you mean? If she was more "broad" than you then you wouldn't be the same size. A size 14 has measurements of around 38'31'41' regardless of height.

You can't argue this, it's fact. Obviously a tall girl may just look generally large and a small girl would look dumpy at this size, but they will have the same measurements, so will be the same size.

she is taller than me... so she is bigger than me... i am quite small... she is broad... she is a size 14 even though she seems thinner than me... i don't understand what is so difficult to grasp.... say my waist is 25 inches... hers is like 30-31... not because she is obese but because she is wide because of her bone structure... even though she has a flatter stomach than me... if i had a 31 inch waist it would be because i would be fat...
she is taller than me... so she is bigger than me... i am quite small... she is broad... she is a size 14 even though she seems thinner than me... i don't understand what is so difficult to grasp.... say my waist is 25 inches... hers is like 30-31... not because she is obese but because she is wide because of her bone structure... even though she has a flatter stomach than me... if i had a 31 inch waist it would be because i would be fat...

This has nothing to do with the original comment. I'm not finding anything difficult to grasp. I'm simply saying your friends height has nothing to do with her clothes size.

You said you're friend is thinner than you, but she is a larger size. This isn't possible, bigger size = bigger measurements = larger proportions. She may have more muscle mass/lower fat percentage so may look better, but she is not smaller than you.

All of this has absolutely nothing to do with her height which is just a coincidence. Tall people do not have more "broad" bone structure, they do not have higher body fat % and they do not have more muscle mass by default. They have the exact same body as smaller people, with a few more inches. Anything else is just an illusion.

Also, does she have proof for this apparently "broad" bone structure? X-rays for example? All I know is it's a nice excuse for being overweight "sorry, I'm big boned" :rolleyes:
This has nothing to do with the original comment. I'm not finding anything difficult to grasp. I'm simply saying your friends height has nothing to do with her clothes size.

You said you're friend is thinner than you, but she is a larger size. This isn't possible, bigger size = bigger measurements = larger proportions. She may have more muscle mass/lower fat percentage so may look better, but she is not smaller than you.

All of this has absolutely nothing to do with her height which is just a coincidence. Tall people do not have more "broad" bone structure, they do not have higher body fat % and they do not have more muscle mass by default. They have the exact same body as smaller people, with a few more inches. Anything else is just an illusion.

Also, does she have proof for this apparently "broad" bone structure? X-rays for example? All I know is it's a nice excuse for being overweight "sorry, I'm big boned" :rolleyes:

alright please calm down :s-smilie: of course she doesn't have x-rays what is wrong with you... jeez...
alright please calm down :s-smilie: of course she doesn't have x-rays what is wrong with you... jeez...

I'm perfectly calm. I was proving a point that it's simply an excuse for being overweight.
I'm perfectly calm. I was proving a point that it's simply an excuse for being overweight.

because you know what she looks like, of course... if she is fat then i am the size of buddha.
because you know what she looks like, of course... if she is fat then i am the size of buddha.

So it is physically impossible for her to be under a size 14? Lol, **** one for her. This has diverted completely from my original point so I'm leaving it here.
Reply 69

Sorry to butt in - I agree with you on the fact that regardless of height sizes will be the same if you have the same measurements, but to say people all have the same body is just wrong. Some people have higher metabolisms so burn off fat very easily, and some will have broader shoulders and hips meaning that regardless of how much fat they carry they still might have trouble fitting into smaller sizes.
People come in all shapes and sizes, fact.
Original post by megan.c
Sorry to butt in - I agree with you on the fact that regardless of height sizes will be the same if you have the same measurements, but to say people all have the same body is just wrong. Some people have higher metabolisms so burn off fat very easily, and some will have broader shoulders and hips meaning that regardless of how much fat they carry they still might have trouble fitting into smaller sizes.
People come in all shapes and sizes, fact.

What? I did not say people have the same body shape. I was saying height doesn't affect your body shape.
Original post by sinfonietta

I actually do the opposite: I can fit into a size six skirt/trousers/jeans but I prefer to buy an eight and just go for elasticated waistbands or use a good belt.

Same. :redface: I'm fed up of being pathetically small and so If I can fit into anything more normal it makes me happy!
Reply 72

Also, does she have proof for this apparently "broad" bone structure? X-rays for example? All I know is it's a nice excuse for being overweight "sorry, I'm big boned"
:rolleyes:

What? I did not say people have the same body shape. I was saying height doesn't affect your body shape.

That's what it seemed like to me, you kinda jumped to the conclusion that her friend could in no way have a broader natural physique
I was saying height doesn't affect your body shape.

How so? My whole body shape has to do with the fact that I'm very short and yet have wide hips. Sometimes it looks curvy and others dumpy, depending mainly on what I'm wearing and the fit of my clothes. But if for example you're tall and slim - well that's your body shape isn't it, tall and slim, rather than short and slim.

I got what you were saying earlier about how measurements are the same in the same sizes; bleugh buying jeans means I get my size 8-10 but the legs are way too long :unimpressed:, but you lost me there.
Reply 74
Have you ever thought that people should wear what they feel most comfortable wearing? I mean, you might find a "muffin top" ugly but who are you to decide what a person should or shouldn't be wearing.
I might find goth clothing ugly but I'm not going to try and tell them to buy something different if they feel that their clothing gives them confidence or helps their self-esteem.
Surely it's more important for a person to feel comfortable and confident, whether or not that means wearing a pair of jeans that are a size too small.

You should give this a read: http://archedeyebrow.com/2012/07/11/one-year-later/
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 75
I'm only 5'2" and usually a size 8-10, depending on the shop, but if I get bottoms from Primark, I have to get a size 12, which is soul destroying, because I'm definitely definitely not a size 12! :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 76
Original post by Ayresss
I'm only 5'2" and usually a size 8-10, depending on the shop, but if I get bottoms from Primark, I have to get a size 12, which is soul destroying, because I'm definitely definitely not a size 12! :frown:

If the act of purchasing the odd size 12 is "soul destroying" for you, I'd hate to see what the affect on your soul when a real disaster arises.
Original post by Zaf47
Have you ever thought that people should wear what they feel most comfortable wearing? I mean, you might find a "muffin top" ugly but who are you to decide what a person should or shouldn't be wearing.
I might find goth clothing ugly but I'm not going to try and tell them to buy something different if they feel that their clothing gives them confidence or helps their self-esteem.
Surely it's more important for a person to feel comfortable and confident, whether or not that means wearing a pair of jeans that are a size too small.

Having a slight muffin top is purely a visual thing, sure, but I know girls who wear too-tight clothes and are constantly complaining that they don't fit properly, or that it's uncomfortable or even painful. But they don't connect that to the fact that they need to buy clothes is larger sizes that actually fit.

Yeah, people can wear what they want. But I personally don't like the whole issue that makes girls feel like they need to be small sizes, and the whole negative stigma that's attached to having big sizes. It's not just an individual being comfortable, it can also be them unsatisfied and unhappy with themselves (thanks to the relentless messages of the media, etc) and that's why they delude themselves and try to fit into clothes too small. Some girls seem to genuinely not realise that they're doing it, it's so subconscious and ingrained.
(edited 11 years ago)
Height has nothing to do with clothes size. A 6ft size 14 has the same measurements as a 5ft size 14. You wouldn't be any larger than you're size 14 friend if you were also size 14.

EDIT: Could someone please explain why they disagree? This is a fact, there is no argument here.

There's different in measurements.. :/
A 5ft girl would have smaller leg measurements than a 6ft girl.
Hence why some stores have sections labelled as "short girls" and "tall girls"

I can't buy jeans in primark, even though they fit me around the waist. They are not my length, it's like wearing Michael Jackson trousers.. They are way above my ankle. Because i'm taller than the average women, while stores like primark and the occasional H&M have the average height as their target Market.

The difference in measurements, could make a smaller size 14 girl look significantly bigger than a taller girl. Obviously because of the proportions and the distribution of muscle and fat.

Just because 2 girls may be the same "dress size" they will definitely be different measurements and size differences.

I'm guessing that's why you got negged.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by desdemonata
Having a slight muffin top is purely a visual thing, sure, but I know girls who wear too-tight clothes and are constantly complaining that they don't fit properly, or that it's uncomfortable or even painful. But they don't connect that to the fact that they need to buy clothes is larger sizes that actually fit.

Yeah, people can wear what they want. But I personally don't like the whole issue that makes girls feel like they need to be small sizes, and the whole negative stigma that's attached to having big sizes. It's not just an individual being comfortable, it can also be them unsatisfied and unhappy with themselves (thanks to the relentless messages of the media, etc) and that's why they delude themselves and try to fit into clothes too small. Some girls seem to genuinely not realise that they're doing it, it's so subconscious and ingrained.

I do agree with you actually. In an ideal world people wouldn't need to feel like they have to fit into smaller clothes than the ones that fit them. Unfortunately, we don't live in an ideal world so as long as you feel confident as a person with what you're wearing, that's what's important in my view because the media are just going to keep feeding us images of skinny women and making us feel inadequate.

Quick Reply

Latest