The Student Room Group

What to drop?

Ok, currently awaiting results and partially undecided on the decision on University. My current As's are English Language and Literature, ICT, Psychology and Media. I want to go on to possibly do a business related course or career perhaps ICT somewhere in there. However, if i'm thinking of applying to Universities like UWE or Bournemouth if i did apply, so what would be the better choice to drop? There's inevitably going to be a high grade in Media which they say is a low regarded subject, however is it good to keep that in terms of the uni's i've chose. Thanks :smile:
Original post by Williams95
Ok, currently awaiting results and partially undecided on the decision on University. My current As's are English Language and Literature, ICT, Psychology and Media. I want to go on to possibly do a business related course or career perhaps ICT somewhere in there. However, if i'm thinking of applying to Universities like UWE or Bournemouth if i did apply, so what would be the better choice to drop? There's inevitably going to be a high grade in Media which they say is a low regarded subject, however is it good to keep that in terms of the uni's i've chose. Thanks :smile:

Either media or psychology I'd say, probably media - I don't really understand why applying to those universities means you should keep media? Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Anyway, isn't it worth waiting until results day to see how you've done on what?
Reply 2
Original post by hassi94
Either media or psychology I'd say, probably media - I don't really understand why applying to those universities means you should keep media? Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Anyway, isn't it worth waiting until results day to see how you've done on what?

What i mean is will it be better for these Universities to keep a subject like Media where i can get an A. Or keep English which might be a C. I know for higher universities they have blacklisted subjects but do these?
Reply 3
It's better (according to most) to get a C in a tough subject over an A in a blacklisted/supersoft subject. (by better i mean, better preferred by universities.)

Obviously if you were applying to do media you would probably keep media, despite it being a 'blacklisted', but seeing as you are considering applying for a bussiness type program, I would say media is useless. ICT is also not very useful but as far as I know considered tougher than media.
Reply 4
Original post by ReMos
It's better (according to most) to get a C in a tough subject over an A in a blacklisted/supersoft subject. (by better i mean, better preferred by universities.)

Obviously if you were applying to do media you would probably keep media, despite it being a 'blacklisted', but seeing as you are considering applying for a bussiness type program, I would say media is useless. ICT is also not very useful but as far as I know considered tougher than media.

Do they still look at blacklisted subjects in Universities like UWE? Could i still get in with Media
Reply 5
Original post by Williams95
Do they still look at blacklisted subjects in Universities like UWE? Could i still get in with Media

They dont really have any 'blacklisted' subject, but some are so soft that they just melt off the application page and they dont even see them.

I think you could actually contact them. many universities openly state on their website what subjects they like or dislike. call the admissions office/the department you wish to apply for anonymously, it cant harm anyone.

(tl;dr not sure. best to ask them explicitly and anonymously)

Quick Reply

Latest