The Student Room Group

If death is inevitable, why bother?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ilyas
eat food. It tastes good, you can't deny that. Stop trying to create an image where we are just living entities who eventually disappear, we can feel excellent, proven by food and sex!

That's exactly what we are. Tell me more about your lineage and how you're great forefathers tended to the fields on the eve on May 22, 1822. You don't remember? Oh you don't say. Well that's just too bad, I guess well never know what he did that day.
Reply 41
Original post by harekrishna
Does there happen to be a Popeyes down in the UK.

Not to my knowledge but I am guessing they make very good food? (Well, the internet seems to suggest that it's good food.)
That's exactly what we are. Tell me more about your lineage and how you're great forefathers tended to the fields on the eve on May 22, 1822. You don't remember? Oh you don't say. Well that's just too bad, I guess well never know what he did that day.

random post is random.
Reply 43
... Life is nice :smile:

i don't really care if I'm just going to die at the end of it; that's ages away (hopefully!)
Reply 44
Original post by Ilyas
random post is random.

'Random' post is actually a point contradicting the idea that we are not, as you put it, 'just living entities who eventually disappear'.

Everyone has their own opinion.
You're right - there is no point in life. There is no purpose that everyone must follow.

That's why you have to make one yourself. Living as though there is no point means you have no purpose. Having goals, dreams, relationships, romance, children, happiness, adventure, tragedy, fun, sadness, silliness, and love gives life purpose. But one can only achieve such a purpose by making one.

Or so I've been told.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by emilie18
You make your own purpose in life. I think for most people, the purpose of life is to find happiness, whatever that may be for you. You only live once (as far as we know), so enjoy it!

I don't think so. How often do you stop and think to yourself "my purpose in life is to be happy"? I wouldn't think that very often.
Reply 47
Original post by MereBeing
Why do we feel compelled to live life like it has a purpose? Okay, death could count as purpose, but why bother adhering to rules and being 'good' if our bodies are just going to rot in the ground?

(I probably sound like an idiot to the philosophers out there but I am intrigued about the responses.)

*cautiously submits thread*

If you are here to reply with the fact that I am being pessimistic, etc...don't worry, you don't have to waste a post as a few already have done it.

I purely created this thread because I was curious about people's attitudes towards life, not because I feel that there is no point to life or to bring anyone down.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?&q=terror+management
Not to my knowledge but I am guessing they make very good food? (Well, the internet seems to suggest that it's good food.)

It's absolute filth soaked in oil and it really doesn't taste all too good yet people eat it anyway regardless of the health implications it raises. Nothing really matters any more. Things are done for the sake of doing them.
Hey Dobrzynski why don't you.

Because I wish to live life, and see the point in it. This guy, quite obviously does not.
Reply 50
It's absolute filth soaked in oil and it really doesn't taste all too good yet people eat it anyway regardless of the health implications it raises. Nothing really matters any more. Things are done for the sake of doing them.

Oh right, my mistake. I have a love/hate relationship with fast food :tongue:
Reply 51

Interesting, I shall investigate this further :smile:

Original post by Dobrzynski
Because I wish to live life, and see the point in it. This guy, quite obviously does not.

I don't know how you came to the conclusion that I do not want to live; I merely created a thread with the intrigue of finding out other's views.
Reply 52
Yes death will always happen but some of us would like to go to heaven, as in Islam we believe that this life is a test and in Heaven (inshallah) we truly will begin out lives with God.
Original post by 123maz
Yes death will always happen but some of us would like to go to heaven, as in Islam we believe that this life is a test and in Heaven (inshallah) we truly will begin out lives with God.

You goof, (I wouldn't normally say that during Ramadan but this is a special occasion), you can never be seen in the same light as the divine creator who is the harbinger of the mighty realm we can life. You must seek the light not by preaching but practising you oaf. Thank you for your time.
Reply 54
You goof, (I wouldn't normally say that during Ramadan but this is a special occasion), you can never be seen in the same light as the divine creator who is the harbinger of the mighty realm we can life. You must seek the light not by preaching but practising you oaf. Thank you for your time.

oops i think i got carried away with my words of wisdom :colondollar:
and 'oaf' dont talk about yourself like that
Just going to point out there is no "if" to the inevitability of death - at least, not yet - so you're question is invalid. As a OCD person over such things, I refuse to answer.
Reply 56
Doing nothing all day and being practically non-existent is boring
Reply 57
"Get Rich or Die Tryin'"

May as well make the most of it I guess
Original post by constantmeowage
You're right - there is no point in life. There is no purpose that everyone must follow.

That's why you have to make one yourself. Living as though there is no point means you have no purpose. Having goals, dreams, relationships, romance, children, happiness, adventure, tragedy, fun, sadness, silliness, and love gives life purpose. But one can only achieve such a purpose by making one.

Or so I've been told.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I hate, absolutely hate, when people say stuff like that.

It's not my fault that I'm not crap and ugly that no one will love me.
Reply 59
Why do we feel compelled to live life like it has a purpose? Okay, death could count as purpose, but why bother adhering to rules and being 'good' if our bodies are just going to rot in the ground?

(I probably sound like an idiot to the philosophers out there but I am intrigued about the responses.)

I often pondered this during bouts of severe depression which luckily no longer plague me. I then started pondering a similar and equally valid question.

Why not bother?

Quick Reply