The Student Room Group

26 stone and "beautiful" - but is it healthy to be so heavy?

Is that even possible? (Note, I am not 26 but the woman in the spoiler is).

Spoiler

She claims to be "feeling confident" about herself, but even if her boyfriend thinks she's beautiful and she's happy the way she is, surely this must have a detrimental effect on her health?

She may be positive about her self-image, but surely health is about both the mental and physical aspects?

Personally just because she has a boyfriend and she's OK with her weight, it doesn't mean it should be acceptable. Especially considering she entered herself into a beauty pageant for the "larger" ladies. You wouldn't have a beauty pageant specifically for anorexics so why is this any different?

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" but there are established vision ranges. Our eyes say that unhealthy =/= beautiful.

Here's the link to the article

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by im so academic

Spoiler

She claims to be "feeling confident" about herself, but even if her boyfriend thinks she's beautiful and she's happy the way she is, surely this must have a detrimental effect on her health?

She may be positive about her self-image, but surely health is about both the mental and physical aspects?

Personally just because she has a boyfriend and she's OK with her weight, it doesn't mean it should be acceptable. Especially considering she entered herself into a beauty pageant for the "larger" ladies. You wouldn't have a beauty pageant specifically for anorexics so why is this any different?

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" but there are established vision ranges. Our eyes say that unhealthy =/= beautiful.

She says she is happy, her boyfriend seems to be happy. I'm sure she knows that her weight is detrimental to her health so who are any of us to judge?
Reply 2
'I think I'm sending out a positive message about feeling confident with who you are.'

:facepalm2:

She's deluded if she thinks it's a positive message to promote obesity
Reply 3
I totally agree with you: obesity shouldn't be promoted as acceptable. It is as unhealthy as being underweight, and we don't consider that to be ok.
And to be honest, I don't really believe that anyone is genuinely happy at that weight. When you are that fat, it takes over your life so you can't just live a normal life, it really isn't attractive and it obviously going to cause health problems in the future. I think she is just trying to kid herself that she is happy, but deep down she probably isn't.
Reply 4
What on earth do you eat to maintain a weight of 26 stones?

She must have a pie and chips drip.
Reply 6
Original post by Samrout
she looks like an angry bird, like from the game.

probably because she's been denied a pie...

haaa...

shoot me now...

haaa....

haa....

hhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.........

+rep for effort :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Zyyz
'I think I'm sending out a positive message about feeling confident with who you are.'

How is she promoting obesity? She is promoting being happy with who you are, be it tall or short, fat or thin or just judgmental like yourself. :smile:
Original post by cfizzle
It takes all types of people to make up the world. If everyone was the same size then it'd be boring wouldn't it? Some men like the larger ladies and some like the stick thin.

If she likes who she is then there's nothing to discuss - I'm sure she knows being overweight isn't good for her, but it's her life

Also LOL at the Daily Mail - "Kirstie Mouncey, 18, gets out of breath going up stairs"

I'm a size 8, 8 stones 9 and even I get out of breath going up stairs!

I'm sure psychopaths probably like being psychopaths too, but we discuss that and don't seek to promote their mental processes because they're not healthy. Thinking that being 26 stone is something that you're happy with is not healthy, nobody's saying everybody has to weigh EXACTLY the same, but she should probably lose some weight at least, just like anorexic people should be encouraged to gain some.
Original post by im so academic

Spoiler

This already exists, but we just refer to it as regular beauty pageants.
Original post by glelin96
She says she is happy, her boyfriend seems to be happy. I'm sure she knows that her weight is detrimental to her health so who are any of us to judge?

Everyone judges.
Original post by Zyyz

That's exactly what I thought too.
Reply 12
Original post by glelin96
How is she promoting obesity? She is promoting being happy with who you are, be it tall or short, fat or thin or just judgmental like yourself. :smile:

But if she's promoting that then surely people who are obese are being told to be perfectly happy with themselves, which I think is promoting it?
She's not beautiful at all, she's disgustingly overweight. I would bet my house if she could duplicate her personality into a slim body her boyfriend would drop her in a heartbeat.

Don't see why the word anorexic is being mentioned, so far from that being on the horizon its unreal.
I saw the interview and to be honest I was disgusted. That big beautiful woman contest is despicably irresponsible, it'll just encourage the morbidly obese to remain at that size, so long as they're 'happy and confident' etc

It is no different from anorexia, and in some ways it is worse because people will often not encourage the sufferers to lose the weight. Sorry, but the strain she's putting on her heart, the risk of diabetes she's forging for herself etc, it's self inflicted and it's a waste of her life.

And her boyfriend seemed to be a bit of an enabler tbh, she is not curvy, she is morbidly obese. She has a bmi over 60. How is that healthy in any way? She needs a diet plan and exercise, not a beauty contest. The whole thing is just so irresponsible. And you know what, if she wants to embrace a life of aching limbs, heart problems etc, fine, but why should the taxpayer have to foot the associated medical bills?
Reply 15
Original post by Zyyz
But if she's promoting that then surely people who are obese are being told to be perfectly happy with themselves, which I think is promoting it?

Well, she is saying that you should be happy with who you are, to promote something she would be required to encourage people to gain weight, which she isn't doing. She is saying be happy with who you are whatever that may be.
Original post by cfizzle
If she likes who she is then there's nothing to discuss - I'm sure she knows being overweight isn't good for her, but it's her life

Also LOL at the Daily Mail - "Kirstie Mouncey, 18, gets out of breath going up stairs"

Really? How big are your stairs?
Reply 17
Original post by cfizzle

Depending how old you are, that's a sign you're really out of shape.

I think it makes sense to encourage good health, and being so fat is a huge obstacle to achieving that.
Reply 18
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
Really? How big are your stairs?

The stairs are normal. She's a borrower.
Reply 19
Original post by cfizzle

At the Empire State? Understandable. In your own home? Tragic.

Quick Reply

Latest