The Student Room Group

Aqa comp 4 2012/13

Haven't seen a thread for this yet, and I know they've been done before, so...

I wanted to find out how many of us there are taking A2 computing this year, and if everyone's preparing for/terrified of the COMP4 project. What have you been tasked with doing over the summer and what are you thinking of doing?

I know COMP3 is supposed to be pretty nasty, but the project seems more intimidating at this point! It'd also be great to get advice from anyone who's already finished.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Made a thread about the project a couple of weeks ago, obviously a bit too early because no one answered xD

I'm planing on getting the majority of the coursework done over the summer, since I'm probably going to be quite busy next year with 5 subjects...

I'm going to be making a digital logic/circuit simulator in Java, got most of it already sort of planned out, just got the more tricky bits to figure out, then the actual write up, someone in my school wrote 37000 words in his last year, hoping I won't need to write quite that much :/

Haven't really looked at COMP3 yet but I agree the project definitely seems the harder of the 2.
Reply 2
Original post by iCiaran
Made a thread about the project a couple of weeks ago, obviously a bit too early because no one answered xD

I'm planing on getting the majority of the coursework done over the summer, since I'm probably going to be quite busy next year with 5 subjects...

I'm going to be making a digital logic/circuit simulator in Java, got most of it already sort of planned out, just got the more tricky bits to figure out, then the actual write up, someone in my school wrote 37000 words in his last year, hoping I won't need to write quite that much :/

Haven't really looked at COMP3 yet but I agree the project definitely seems the harder of the 2.

I'm beginning to suspect all the computing students have migrated elsewhere on the internet!

I thought I was mad doing four, but I suppose if you're doing most of it before September it won't be that horrible. Nice project idea, too. :smile: I'm doing a piece of teaching software that generates exam-style questions and mark schemes and imports/exports them to and from Moodle.
Reply 3
Original post by Damask-
I'm beginning to suspect all the computing students have migrated elsewhere on the internet!

I think everyone's just enjoying the start of the holidays and want to forget about this for a while.

I'm planning a system for booking tennis courts at a local club. I'm probably going to try and make it more complicated by adding things such as different user accounts, dynamically drawing some of the courts, sending SMS reminders to players and maybe some more if I can think of extras. My language is vb.NET by the way.
Reply 4
Original post by Damask-

I thought I was mad doing four, but I suppose if you're doing most of it before September it won't be that horrible. Nice project idea, too. :smile: I'm doing a piece of teaching software that generates exam-style questions and mark schemes and imports/exports them to and from Moodle.

Haha, everyone calls me crazy for 5 xD

Our school used to use moodle, then we got a new head who insisted we pay for something that doesn't work as well :/

Nice idea, you could make some Comp3 questions for all of us to do :tongue:
Reply 5
COMP4 is definitely hard work but, if you keep on top of it you will be fine. I would advise creating a project around a database as the coursework specification seems to be aimed towards these kind of projects more. By no means you can do other projects if you wish.

COMP3 specification has quite a bit of theory on databases also, which will always come up in the exam (Normalization, SQL statements) so you would be at an advantage if you did a project around a database as you will have more practice in this area.

Remember that the write up itself is very important as it contains more allocated marks than the actual program you create. You could have developed something amazing and get top marks in that section but if the write up is not good then you are not going to get a very good mark.

Good Luck !
Reply 6
Original post by D-Box
I think everyone's just enjoying the start of the holidays and want to forget about this for a while.

I'm planning a system for booking tennis courts at a local club. I'm probably going to try and make it more complicated by adding things such as different user accounts, dynamically drawing some of the courts, sending SMS reminders to players and maybe some more if I can think of extras. My language is vb.NET by the way.

That sounds like it'll be really cool - I'm using vb.NET too. :smile: I'm trying to not leave everything until the last minute because we have to have the investigation and analysis section done by the time we go back for U6 enrolment.
Reply 7
Original post by cm04
COMP4 is definitely hard work but, if you keep on top of it you will be fine. I would advise creating a project around a database as the coursework specification seems to be aimed towards these kind of projects more. By no means you can do other projects if you wish.

COMP3 specification has quite a bit of theory on databases also, which will always come up in the exam (Normalization, SQL statements) so you would be at an advantage if you did a project around a database as you will have more practice in this area.

Remember that the write up itself is very important as it contains more allocated marks than the actual program you create. You could have developed something amazing and get top marks in that section but if the write up is not good then you are not going to get a very good mark.

Good Luck !

Thanks for the advice!
I m doing a suite of vocab testing minigames.
Reply 9
Subscribing... :ninja:

I've got some ideas on what I could do but nothing concrete yet :smile:
I'm just going to do a stock control system and put in as much code as I can because the project doesn't need to be 'original' and I am not very creative at all so i'm sticking to a non-original project and hoping to squeeze in as much validation and high level techniques as possible.
Reply 11
Original post by andyator55
I'm just going to do a stock control system and put in as much code as I can because the project doesn't need to be 'original' and I am not very creative at all so i'm sticking to a non-original project and hoping to squeeze in as much validation and high level techniques as possible.

I think I'm the opposite to you, aha. I'm more creative, like designing UIs and am probably going to do everything possible to make up for any coding faults with my documentation. :smile:
Original post by Damask-
I think I'm the opposite to you, aha. I'm more creative, like designing UIs and am probably going to do everything possible to make up for any coding faults with my documentation. :smile:

Ah nice!:smile: I will fail at designing UI's and actually making my project look good xD But I think I can handle the code pretty well.

Oh FYI apparently some guys made a testing section which took up 12cm thick of A4 paper :P lol
Reply 13
Can anyone give me any ideas on what project to do for COMP4!? I was meant to do a project proposal over the summer, but I can't think of what to do!
Reply 14
I'm doing a virtual learning environment, kinda like moodle. Basically you can log in as a student to view your timetable and homework that teacher users can set you, and upload completed homeworks (files) to an ftp server that the teachers can then view when they log in. Teachers can also assign students to their classes, and write lesson plans and assign them to a certain lesson.

So overall, user validation, file transfer protocols, databases, i'm hoping it'll be good enough for an A* :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by nathano14
Can anyone give me any ideas on what project to do for COMP4!? I was meant to do a project proposal over the summer, but I can't think of what to do!

Classroom booking system, multiple choice exam marker, subject revision tool (generate questions or quizzes, etc), graph plotter, timetable organiser, small stock control, library lending system, Doctor's appointments system..
Reply 16
Original post by scillage
I'm doing a virtual learning environment, kinda like moodle. Basically you can log in as a student to view your timetable and homework that teacher users can set you, and upload completed homeworks (files) to an ftp server that the teachers can then view when they log in. Teachers can also assign students to their classes, and write lesson plans and assign them to a certain lesson.

So overall, user validation, file transfer protocols, databases, i'm hoping it'll be good enough for an A* :smile:

Certainly sounds like it will be enough for an A*! Which programming language are you using, and for the ftp server, is it one that your school is providing or are you privately paying for your own?
Reply 17
Original post by D-Box
Certainly sounds like it will be enough for an A*! Which programming language are you using, and for the ftp server, is it one that your school is providing or are you privately paying for your own?

Cheers :smile: I'm currently using Python 3, it's awesome :biggrin: I was thinking about learning java just for Comp4, but frankly I think it would be more hassle than it's worth, seeing as the program you make is only 20 ums out of 200 for the whole of A2 :P Tbh I hadn't really given it much though, although there are plenty of free ones out there (filezilla springs to mind), but I will have a look at my options closer to when I will be coding it (currently doing as much of the written work as I can before school (work) starts again) :P
Reply 18
Just passed the 3000 word mark for the investigation and analysis section :hmmm:.

ETA: Did everyone get the AS grades they were hoping for?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Damask-
Just passed the 3000 word mark for the investigation and analysis section :hmmm:.

ETA: Did everyone get the AS grades they were hoping for?

3000... Maybe I should get started, been on about 500 since the start of the summer xD

And I said I'd finish this and my personal statement, gonna be a busy last week and a bit...

I was really happy thanks, how did you do?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending