The Student Room Group

The Martial Arts Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1620
Original post by Indo-Chinese Food

who are you talking to?

You. You've done a bit of rolling in America with some people from Rickson Gracie - and you're telling people with more BJJ experience all about why they are wrong about everything they know about BJJ/Judo/grappling in general, and how you are right about absolutely everything - regardless of the gap in experience - and probably skill.

At what point would you draw the line? Who would you not lecture? A purple belt? A brown belt? Terere? Mauricio Gomes?

There are philosophical questions over martial arts that everyone can debate from now until the end of the world - but in this case, you're clearly the novice and you're spouting off (quite rudely) continually and telling much more experienced BJJ people how wrong they are about BJJ.
No youre right, there is also the hug the other guy for 10 minutes move till he gets tired, which einheri demonstrated in some world judo championship youtube clip he dug out.

this is all still consistent with the points i had already made about judo, so i still dont know what your gripe is

It was not Judo; it was in the absolute division of the 2010 Rickson Cup in Japan. Kron Gracie vs Karim Byron, both BJJ black belts.

Watch it again. If you write off a match where a 170lb guy (Kron Gracie) throws a 380lb guy (Karim Byron) three times, completely dominates him on the ground AND armbars him to finish as "fat guys hugging and falling over", which is precisely what you said it was when you thought it was Judo, then you have no fundamental appreciation of grappling.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Clip
You. You've done a bit of rolling in America with some people from Rickson Gracie - and you're telling people with more BJJ experience all about why they are wrong about everything they know about BJJ/Judo/grappling in general, and how you are right about absolutely everything - regardless of the gap in experience - and probably skill.

At what point would you draw the line? Who would you not lecture? A purple belt? A brown belt? Terere? Mauricio Gomes?

There are philosophical questions over martial arts that everyone can debate from now until the end of the world - but in this case, you're clearly the novice and you're spouting off (quite rudely) continually and telling much more experienced BJJ people how wrong they are about BJJ.

im telling them they are wrong becuase what they have typed so far has been wrong, in the same way you tried to bluff some knowledge about ju jitsu an hour ago and got found out. im not lecturing on bjj. If marcelinho said something incorrect i would still point it out, though being a skilled martial artist, he would probably spot and admit that right away. How do you know what my level of JJ experince is lol? So far i have only been discussing with basic mma students anyway, and in einheris case, computer game players.

type something accurate and i wont comment, i might even try to be polite. And if you were directing that at me why not try quoting me.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Einheri
It was not Judo; it was in the absolute division of the 2010 Rickson Cup in Japan. Kron Gracie vs Karim Byron, both BJJ black belts.

Watch it again. If you write off a match where a 170lb guy (Kron Gracie) throws a 380lb guy (Karim Byron) three times, completely dominates him on the ground AND armbars him to finish as "fat guys hugging and falling over", which is precisely what you said it was when you thought it was Judo, then you have no fundamental appreciation of grappling.

I cant watch it all becuase your clip freezes after .09 but ill take your word on it, if if this clip wasnt judo then i was wrong about that, but this doesnt really then alter the position of what competetive judo is all about, which is as i described.
i do recall in your clip seeing the fat guy lie down and turtle up after a few minutes of grappling - which at the time i said was hardly anything to appreciate. The conversation in which you originally brought this clip up was that tournement style grappling without the techniques of combat ju jitsu or other martial arts could be useful in real time type situations such as fighting a larger opponent - but having a fat guy nearly pass out on the floor from exhaustion wasnt any proof of this, nor would it go down well in real life - if you think it would, then you have no appreciation of the real world.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by thunder_chunky
Bookmarked this thread. I do Judo and kickboxing.

Those are my main arts too! What kind of kickboxing do you do? Under the style I train in sweeps are allowed so judo has been incredibly useful in putting people on the floor over and over again and rarely getting swept myself.
Original post by Dr. Bassman
Those are my main arts too! What kind of kickboxing do you do? Under the style I train in sweeps are allowed so judo has been incredibly useful in putting people on the floor over and over again and rarely getting swept myself.

:rolleyes: Lord help us

I just do a routine at the gym as part of my workout but I've been doing it for 10 months or so and I'm really getting into it. I haven't done Judo in a few years but before my hiatus I did it reguarly. I'm looking to get back into it.
By "sweeps" do you mean leg sweeps? I'm pretty sure they are common in Judo.
Original post by thunder_chunky
I just do a routine at the gym as part of my workout but I've been doing it for 10 months or so and I'm really getting into it. I haven't done Judo in a few years but before my hiatus I did it reguarly. I'm looking to get back into it.
By "sweeps" do you mean leg sweeps? I'm pretty sure they are common in Judo.

Yeah leg sweeps. I like to catch the opponent's kick and then just sweep out the other leg. Really easy if you disguise it with a punch and there's a whole load of stuff you can do when you've caught a guy's leg too. Good luck with the judo!
Yeah leg sweeps. I like to catch the opponent's kick and then just sweep out the other leg. Really easy if you disguise it with a punch and there's a whole load of stuff you can do when you've caught a guy's leg too. Good luck with the judo!

I always finish a single-leg with a footsweep - it's so satisfying planting someone straight on their back when they're expecting a spiral takedown. My wrestling coach is a 2nd Dan in Judo and mixes the single-leg takedown and various Judo footsweeps perfectly - amazing technique!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Einheri
I always finish a single-leg with a footsweep - it's so satisfying planting someone straight on their back when they're expecting a spiral takedown. My wrestling coach is a 2nd Dan in Judo and mixes the single-leg takedown and various Judo footsweeps perfectly - amazing technique!

I like to mix it up. I do sweeps so much that most people know what's coming. Osoto Gari is ok but one move I've found effective every single time is where I look like I'm going to aim for a foot sweep but instead twist towards the leg and plant all the pressure from my opposite forearm just above the knee and push down and spin. You can pretty much throw them across the room if they don't know it's coming and have shifted their balance to try and stop the foot sweep. Most people will eventually get the hang of dealing with the foot sweeps but I find you need real grappling experience to be able to deal with people manipulating your balance like that. I'm not even particularly good at judo, it's just that once you're semi-decent you can use it on people who don't know any quite easily.
Is this where I can learn about deadly arts that are too dangerous to practice but absolutely work 100% and would totally kill any mma fighter?
Original post by Busby_Babe
Is this where I can learn about deadly arts that are too dangerous to practice but absolutely work 100% and would totally kill any mma fighter?

Yes, yes it is. To join the society however you must kill 2 people (preferably not women or children (and in unarmed combat)) and bring us the heads.

No. I practice BJJ primarily and crosstrain in Judo and Freestyle Wrestling, other guys here do Judo, BJJ, Boxing, et cetera. The only person who seems to be into the TMA bull**** is Indo-Chinese Food and the occasional 18-year-old girl who enters the thread.
(edited 11 years ago)
im telling them they are wrong becuase what they have typed so far has been wrong, in the same way you tried to bluff some knowledge about ju jitsu an hour ago and got found out. im not lecturing on bjj. If marcelinho said something incorrect i would still point it out, though being a skilled martial artist, he would probably spot and admit that right away. How do you know what my level of JJ experince is lol? So far i have only been discussing with basic mma students anyway, and in einheris case, computer game players.

type something accurate and i wont comment, i might even try to be polite. And if you were directing that at me why not try quoting me.

I don't train MMA, nor do I play video games very much at all. :rolleyes:
Original post by Einheri
No. I practice BJJ primarily and crosstrain in Judo and Freestyle Wrestling, other guys here do Judo, BJJ, Boxing, et cetera. The only person who seems to be into the TMA bull**** is Indo-Chinese Food and the occasional 18-year-old girl who enters the thread.

I was just messing around. I've read and enjoyed quite a lot of the thread and also had a good laugh at Indo-Chinese. Nothing against TMA but the arrogance (and ignorance) is actually quite annoying.
I was just messing around. I've read and enjoyed quite a lot of the thread and also had a good laugh at Indo-Chinese. Nothing against TMA but the arrogance (and ignorance) is actually quite annoying.

Tell me about it. Some people are just deluded.

From your signature I see you're one of Carlson's guys. Great team; a shame they're not more widespread in the UK. Gracie Barra here.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1636
Original post by Einheri

From your signature I see you're one of Carlson's guys. Great team; a shame they're not more widespread in the UK. Gracie Barra here.

There are literally loads of Carlson guys in USA!! hardly any in UK.. Im 10% gracie barra.. Best team in the world :wink:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Original post by Einheri

Yeah man I love Carlson's. I really wanted to train at Roger's when I moved to London just because it's Roger Gracie but the price was a little too much for me on a student budget. Once I learned about Carlson's though and the philosophy they have I knew it was the place for me.
I'm tempted to join the Barra gym when I go to uni but it's expensive :frown:
My school is £50 a month for unlimited training, I take both the fundamental, Advanced and sparring class every day and I also take a Freestyle wrestling class once a week (£5), a Judo class twice a week (£3 each), and a boxing class (£3). It's Victor Estima's school, Gracie Barra Midlands.

What do you guys pay? And out of interest what does Roger charge?

I'm tempted to join the Barra gym when I go to uni but it's expensive :frown:

Who teaches there and what are they charging?

Yeah man I love Carlson's. I really wanted to train at Roger's when I moved to London just because it's Roger Gracie but the price was a little too much for me on a student budget. Once I learned about Carlson's though and the philosophy they have I knew it was the place for me.

I like the philosophy too. I tend to use the guard as more of a sweeping position catching submissions if I can but with getting off my back as the aim, which was pretty much how Carlson viewed it. Who heads the team since he died? Presumably one of his sons.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest