The Student Room Group

Anyone else revising for the GDL...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by hmaus
Oh good, hopefully he wasn't actually using the road then.

I can't remember who I thought ended up with what in co ownership but I put that the TiB would probably get the sale. I thought the bankrupt guy's mental illness was a bit of a red herring because insolvency act says consider all circs except the needs of the bankrupt. Am I right in thinking that in all the other mental illness as exceptional circs in Insolvency Act cases involved someone else in the house e.g. wife or child with the illness, not the actual bankrupt himself? Hope so cause I said that and distinguished for that reason!

Trying to study equity now. Remedies...

I didn't distinguish like you did but that doesn't mean I'm right necessarily of course. I suggested that after one year they'd try to sell, but the sale would be postponed until the mental health issues were resolved (Re Raval).
Do any of you guys know if we are expected know both the Trustee Act principles and the common law in relation to Investment or just what's contained in the statute?
Last day of proper revision!!!!
Reply 83
What are the core cases for transferred malice? I presume I need to know it for Criminal Damage? Like what happens if you try to punch someone and then you miss and break a table etc?
Reply 84
Original post by ShrutiArora
Hi Guys,
I plan to start my GDL this year. I currently work full time, more than 40 hours a week and have a 7 year old!

I have been debating whether part time GDL is manageable with a full time job. I can do the classes but I would never get a month's leave just for preparation!

You all sound experienced in this field, do you think exams/revisions could be managed with maximum 2 weeks leave? Or is it over-ambitious?

Also, those who are working full time (in a non-law area), how are you managing to find time to gain law related work ex?
Thanks, much appreciated.

Hi :smile:

I'm doing the part time distance learning GDL through University of Huddersfield and am in my first year. I don't have children but my job is full time and then some, I bought a house in December (and had problems with my bank from start to finish) and my Nana died in November - not trying to tell you my life story, but basically its been a very hectic year.

BUT - I passed all my essays, did all my work and am feeling pretty good about the exams I've done and optimistic about the ones I have left... and, apart from this week and 2 days next week (I've had 2 exams this week, 1 tomorrow and 1 on Wed) I haven't been able to take any time off work to study. Instead I've been hammering the books when I get in from work at night and when I get chance at the weekend.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that the part time GDL is, in my opinion, perfectly achieveable in your situation - but don't do the full time one.

I can't help re. work experience as I'm a Court clerk, so I am surrounded by the law all day, every day.

Good luck with whatever you decide :smile:

* On another note, it might be too late for some of you, but I've got a set of revision notes called Floatnotes, designed specifically for the GDL, which were recommended to me - at £70 for a set (which has all 7 topics in) they're not cheap but they're fantastic... Would recommend *
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 85
Original post by hmaus
Latimer and Pembliton are the main cases. I think transferred malice was established in Latimer and Pembliton says you can only use it when the MR is the same and it's the same type of crime, so if you have intention to cause criminal damage to a door you could transfer it to a table but not to hitting a person. I think that's about all but I need to go over it this afternoon too and check if there is anything else!

Cheers!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Brevity
This is actually exactly what I did for equity, but I'm beginning to feel it's a bit risky--or at least close to the bone. If you look at past exams, or the spec exam, you can't do the Unit 5 question because it's paired with something else.

FAOD I've decided to revise everything in Equity except unit 3.
Hey guys, just trying to do this case analysis and I know this is terrible but I don't understand why there is a number before the title of the case with a star and then in the judgment it's referring to a different number with a star. Like for example *455 White and Others Respondents v Chief Constable of South Yorkshire and then *456 .......what is the meaning of this?!
Original post by positivevibes
Hey guys, just trying to do this case analysis and I know this is terrible but I don't understand why there is a number before the title of the case with a star and then in the judgment it's referring to a different number with a star. Like for example *455 White and Others Respondents v Chief Constable of South Yorkshire and then *456 .......what is the meaning of this?!

It's probably the page number but I am on a PC with no access to law reports to check. Remember that the page number of an online version of a case report corresponds to that in the physical printed volume of reports, so there is no reason why a case should start at page 1.
Original post by Forum User
It's probably the page number but I am on a PC with no access to law reports to check. Remember that the page number of an online version of a case report corresponds to that in the physical printed volume of reports, so there is no reason why a case should start at page 1.

ah ok, thank you!
Original post by ~*Kate*~

I'm doing the part time distance learning GDL through University of Huddersfield and am in my first year. I don't have children but my job is full time and then some, I bought a house in December (and had problems with my bank from start to finish) and my Nana died in November - not trying to tell you my life story, but basically its been a very hectic year.

BUT - I passed all my essays, did all my work and am feeling pretty good about the exams I've done and optimistic about the ones I have left... and, apart from this week and 2 days next week (I've had 2 exams this week, 1 tomorrow and 1 on Wed) I haven't been able to take any time off work to study. Instead I've been hammering the books when I get in from work at night and when I get chance at the weekend.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that the part time GDL is, in my opinion, perfectly achieveable in your situation - but don't do the full time one.

I can't help re. work experience as I'm a Court clerk, so I am surrounded by the law all day, every day.

Good luck with whatever you decide :smile:

* On another note, it might be too late for some of you, but I've got a set of revision notes called Floatnotes, designed specifically for the GDL, which were recommended to me - at £70 for a set (which has all 7 topics in) they're not cheap but they're fantastic... Would recommend *

Original post by Schott
The summer exams are structured such that you have 3 in one week, then a week off, then a further 3 in one week. I would say if you're disciplined, it's possible to revise 1 week for each set of 3 exams. Saying that, I only have a pet duck and not a 7 year old child, although I'm sure there are striking similarities.

Getting work experience when working full-time is hard. Most trainee solicitors got their experience during their university holidays, but I appreciate this isn't an avenue for you. Maybe organise some experience and take a week's leave? It's horrible but arguably it needs to be done.

______

And for everyone else, wasn't land just REVOLTING today? Worst exam yet. Think I passed, but no chance of a Commendation on this paper.

Thanks Schott and Kate. Much appreciated.
I have pretty much decided that I am going for GDL although I still worry about the work ex. side of things.
Schott - Your suggestion of taking a week off for work ex is what I might have to ultimately do but I was hoping that I will be able to save it for study/exams etc.

On another note, how do you find the networking and exposure side of things in BPP? I am preferring BPP over NTU for the only reason that, compared to a distance learning course at NTU, BPP part-time will help to stay more motivated and will provide better networking opportunities. What are your thoughts on this?
Thanks as ever.
Reply 91
Hi there,
I'm at BPP and have my exams in August- (had to defer) I was wondering if fellow BPP GDLers could confirm the topics that came up for Con&Ad and Equity. Was it pretty much the topics that were contained in the revision lectures? thanks in advance.
Reply 92
Original post by TheTourist
Hi there,
I'm at BPP and have my exams in August- (had to defer) I was wondering if fellow BPP GDLers could confirm the topics that came up for Con&Ad and Equity. Was it pretty much the topics that were contained in the revision lectures? thanks in advance.

Yes it matched the revision lectures fairly closely.
Reply 93
Original post by Schott
Yes it matched the revision lectures fairly closely.

Thanks.
Are people getting nervous for results yet? I've just discovered they're out 23rd and not 27th (I thought that only the coursework got released on 23rd, for some unknown reason!!)
Reply 95
Original post by scribble_girl
Me too.... SO MANY CASES.

Flashcards are basically saving my arse right now.

Fellow BPP people... I'm not really using the textbooks much, just the lectures, my notes, the manual and practice Qs. Recipe for disaster or no? I've barely used the textbooks and am just worrying that they wouldn't have sent me them without good reason... (I'm using the casebooks to refresh my memory on cases, though).

Don't even pick up a textbook.
Reply 96
Just reading the posts. Exams are over now I know but I was wondering if anyone had any incline as to when results might be posted?
Hopefully re-sits won't be an option but they're getting close and I need to know if I should start revising again!
Is anyone else thinking the same or did exams go well for you?
Thanks for any info :smile:
xxx
Reply 97
I really am ****ting myself about results (this is for the College of Law, Guildford Centre).
Original post by geetar
I really am ****ting myself about results (this is for the College of Law, Guildford Centre).

Have you got them yet?

BPP's come out in a few hours, I'm like paralysed with fear. Really cba to do resits.
Reply 99
I'm in China atm, which is 7 hours ahead

Is it out around 11/12 am UK time? It says by 4pm today but I really hope it's earlier so I can get it over and done with :l

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending